Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a redheeler/bully mix I want to take him hunting sometime but the only problem is I can't quite figure out how to turn him into a hunting dog.I've heard a few thing about how to do it but im not sure any ideas? He's got the speed agility and strength but his attention span is like a humming birds attention span.We can't quite keep him focused enough any ideas?

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
more info:
she wants to teach him how to be a catch dog. her dad taught him how to tree but they didnt get to catching. she'd like to take him pig hunting. and i havent the foggiest clue about hunting since im a city slicker.

tried to get him interested in a flirt pole with his favorite stuffed animal and he really wasnt to concerned with it. he just trotted off and decided to pee on the fence and run around like a little :poop:

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Does he have prey drive? If he doesn't have prey drive than he might not make the cut.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
yah he likes to chase raccons and kill possums. she used to live out in the country in texas so when she lets him out and he hears something hes gone she heard a raccoon and tini bolted the she heard little scuffle then after a few didnt hear the raccoon anymore and tini came back happy as can be. we got rats and possums and raccoons here in cali too and i tell him to get me a somethin and he gets all excited and runs to the back and starts lookin so he wants to please. he also found a "critter" in the tree a week or two ago and was jumpin up and down and tryin to figure out how to get to it (atleast its what it looked like to me). theres defininately something inside him i just gotta dig it up and let it shine you know?

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
He might just be a late bloomer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me he's got potential in tracking I see tini as more of a tracker with that amazing nose he has.He shows me that buy the nose to the sand or ground ears down tail straight following a scent.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Either they got it or they don't. Prey drive is not taught it's instinctive some have little to none and others have a whole lot. At full maturity you should be able to see prey drive levels at it's fullest. If you want a catch dog you might look at getting a dog who is bred for this kind of work and one that comes off parents who are successful hunters themselves.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Either they got it or they don't. Prey drive is not taught it's instinctive some have little to none and others have a whole lot. At full maturity you should be able to see prey drive levels at it's fullest. If you want a catch dog you might look at getting a dog who is bred for this kind of work and one that comes off parents who are successful hunters themselves.
Well put...if they were born without it, they'll never have it. Even the levels within each litter pup are varied from one to another, and it is not equal distribution.

BTW, bullies aren't built for performance, as their very conformation is against it.

Also, the fact anyone would mix these two tells you they were no working dogs at all...so it's no surprise the dog has no attention span. That's like asking two mute parents to teach their baby to talk.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Well put...if they were born without it, they'll never have it. Even the levels within each litter pup are varied from one to another, and it is not equal distribution.

BTW, bullies aren't built for performance, as their very conformation is against it.
ok sooo apparently we want to different things so is there anything we can do to try help him along the way to being a better tracker?

she knows the bully thing, we're just used to calling him that cause of where we're at cuz our land lady has no idea what it is :thumbsup:...

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Very true there are curs in every litter .. But you would have a much better chance at finding a pup off parent's who are proven hunters and bred for that purpose vs just taking any random dog that has not been bred for performance work and parent's who haven't been tested. You can wave a rat in front of a dog all day long if they don't have deep intense prey drive levels that hunting dogs possess they will not stay focused on going in for the kill. Part of the focus your dog is lacking for it's prey is tied into the fact your dogs prey drive levels are low to begin with. When a dog has high levels of prey drive nothing can stop the dog from going after what it wants and it will ALWAYS give 100% of it's attention to it's prey.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
The title to your thread states "how to turn your dog into a game dog" you can't because you don't have a purebred [] dog plus gaming is illegal in the U.S. You have a mutt......I owned a red ACD or heeler and he had the drive to herd things but not hunt if that makes any sense. The thread should have probably stated " how to turn your dog into a catch dog" not game ;) I just think with the mix of the two breeds you have you won't get the true drive you are looking for. JMO

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Very true there are curs in every litter .. But you would have a much better chance at finding a pup off parent's who are proven hunters and bred for that purpose vs just taking any random dog that has not been bred for performance work. You can wave a rat in front of a dog all day long if they don't have deep intense prey drive levels that hunting dogs possess they will not stay focused on going in for the kill. Part of the focus your dog is lacking for it's prey is tied into the fact your dogs prey drive levels are low to begin with. When a dog has high levels of prey drive nothing can stop the dog from going after what it wants and it will ALWAYS give 100% of it's attention to it's prey.
Exactly, also i might point out its not called a game dog, what your aiming for is a catch dog. A hunting dog.

As sadie pointed out they either have it or they dont. Being trained is one thing however when a dog lacks prey drive and courage (this is needed to a certain extent depending on what your using them for) the end result is going to be the same as a never trained dog. Other types of traits/drives that can be beneficial is fight and pack drives.

Prey drive should be obvious as to why its needed.. and as sadie already pointed out if a dog lacks the drive and determination to chase and kill its prey than the dog is hopeless when it comes to hunting.

Courage and fight traits/drives are also highly important if you are looking for larger game prey. These are also traits that will be beneficial if you are talking about hunting an animal that can cause real harm/threat, especially if your talking 1 - 1. (no pack) Prey drive might not be enough if the dog becomes wounded during the catch. Generally, these are on the bottom end of whats needed but again it can benefit the dog greatly if we are talking about larger game.

Pack drives should also be fairly obvious. If your looking to hunt with a pack of dogs, the pack mentality needs to come with the dogs. A pack of dogs more willing to fight each other vs catch the prey are going to prove to be useless in other words. Of course, this isn't a needed trait only if it suits the surroundings and goals. (no pack/pack etc)

If you feel your dog could be suitable for hunting feel free to PM me, i can get you in the right direction however i would recommend given lack of experience, etc you speak and get with seasoned hunters that use dogs. This will greatly benefit the training aspect and learning aspect. It can also benefit you when it comes to hunting with new game if already seasoned.

I know you say thats what your dog is based on location however if that is really what your working with, i don't believe your dogs genetic make up will work out for the work.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I changed the name of this thread because having a game dog can only mean one thing. It has nothing to do with hunting. And because game testing is illegal in the US the thread title needs to be adjusted to something more suited to the laws of this country and the subject at hand. Carry on...

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I changed the name of this thread because having a game dog can only mean one thing. It has nothing to do with hunting. And because game testing is illegal in the US the thread title needs to be adjusted to something more suited to the laws of this country. Carry on...
:goodpost: much better ;)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I can see it now this thread would attract all kinds of idiots to this forum from the google search engine LMAO!!!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
LMAO!! For sure! And god knows we already attract enough :D

·
Banned
314 Posts
ok sooo apparently we want to different things so is there anything we can do to try help him along the way to being a better tracker?

she knows the bully thing, we're just used to calling him that cause of where we're at cuz our land lady has no idea what it is :thumbsup:...
IMO, know exactly what the dog is to be used for. Do homework. Find successful breeders.A true working line should produce just that---workers. I myself don't hunt, but if I wanted to, the first place I'd go to get unbiased advice is to hunters I don't know personally (many people lean too much on advice given by friends)...from there I'd look for the amount of success each breeder of whatever breed has had, and know specifically what I wanted to hunt. It all comes down to how much I'd have to spend...if I wanted to hunt a few times a year, I'd stick with a lower priced dog..if many times, then I'd want a guarantee on my money, so a higher priced one would make sense.

But the bottom line is the current dog is not that, so it's unfair to expect it to be something it's not. But if you're serious of using a dog for hunting, do the study required to prevent getting ripped off, and listen to the advice of professionals who've done it. JMO.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
blood lines and breeding practices aside you work with what you have and try to make the best of it. now im not expecting him to be the best hunter in the world and currently not in the market for another dog. im just wanting to try him out at it if he excels great if he doesn't big whoop.

theres no need to make a big deal on bloodlines and breeders.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If your serious about working the dog performance bred should be of great concern to you. If it's not than do your thing. If you want to take some serious hunters out to do some serious work than you need to be looking for a serious catch dog. Otherwise your just going to get pissed off and frustrated when your dog won't perform like a hunting dog should. Bottom line any form of hunting the dog has to have prey drive and lot's of it. If the dog is full grown and mature and does not show intense prey drive levels than your not going to get much from the dog regardless of how many hours you spend with him. They either have it or they don't. Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts