Go Pitbull Forums banner

How to turn a dog into a hunting dog?

5K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  dwa 
more info:
she wants to teach him how to be a catch dog. her dad taught him how to tree but they didnt get to catching. she'd like to take him pig hunting. and i havent the foggiest clue about hunting since im a city slicker.

tried to get him interested in a flirt pole with his favorite stuffed animal and he really wasnt to concerned with it. he just trotted off and decided to pee on the fence and run around like a little :poop:

yah he likes to chase raccons and kill possums. she used to live out in the country in texas so when she lets him out and he hears something hes gone she heard a raccoon and tini bolted the she heard little scuffle then after a few didnt hear the raccoon anymore and tini came back happy as can be. we got rats and possums and raccoons here in cali too and i tell him to get me a somethin and he gets all excited and runs to the back and starts lookin so he wants to please. he also found a "critter" in the tree a week or two ago and was jumpin up and down and tryin to figure out how to get to it (atleast its what it looked like to me). theres defininately something inside him i just gotta dig it up and let it shine you know?

Well put...if they were born without it, they'll never have it. Even the levels within each litter pup are varied from one to another, and it is not equal distribution.

BTW, bullies aren't built for performance, as their very conformation is against it.
ok sooo apparently we want to different things so is there anything we can do to try help him along the way to being a better tracker?

she knows the bully thing, we're just used to calling him that cause of where we're at cuz our land lady has no idea what it is :thumbsup:...

blood lines and breeding practices aside you work with what you have and try to make the best of it. now im not expecting him to be the best hunter in the world and currently not in the market for another dog. im just wanting to try him out at it if he excels great if he doesn't big whoop.

theres no need to make a big deal on bloodlines and breeders.

i am serious about this but im not gonna hate him or get mad just cause he doesnt wanna or cant get daddy a piggy. but theres a starting point for everything. im hoping for him to excell but im know theres a possibility that hes not cut out for it. and thats a chance i know im taking, its common sense. even if you get a dog from a working line you still have a chance at gettin a dog that wont hunt or is a cur. and crossing 2 curs can produce a dog with game. yes its bad practice but some times it works.

@bella shes the wifey.

aside from improper wording of the title where wild game is wild animals but since we're on an apbt forum all game means to anyone is gameness.

we wanted to know what we could do in order to prepare to take the dog out and hunt.

the question was not do you think my dog is worthy to hunt, whether he is or he isnt its not anyones business. sadie what answers the only person that offered help to set me in the right direction to prepare my dog is km. most every one else has just tried to tell me my dog isnt :poop: with out even knowing him. tell me one phrase you've offered telling me how to prepare my dog to go out. all you've managed to say is that you dont think my dogs worthy and that the title was wrong.

when i brought up gameness all i was proving was that you can take 2 dogs lacking the same certain trait and come out with a dog that more than makes up for its parents lacking traits but you chose to disregard my statement. i didnt say they where the same thing or similar.

wifeys friend wasnt watching his male "pit" and his wifes red heeler was in heat and they got stuck. so the her friend asked her if she wanted him for 70 and she said yes because the dude was abusive to him animals anyway and thats the story of how she got tini in lesser words.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.