Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear it all the time... Sebile (pronounced Sabeal) Whats that? LOL Well, since the hubby and I are avid fisherman here in the great sunshine state, what better than to name your baby girl after a fishing lure? :) Whenever I'm at the dog park or out and hear the names people come up with, I always wonder, howd you come up with that name?? Some common, some, like mine, uncommon. So I was wondering.... How'd you come up with your dogs name? I'd love to hear everyones response!!
:woof:

This is Sebile....

This is Sooner, I got him from the SPCA. He came with that name. Although, I always wonder if his owners were Oklahoma Sooner fans. lol

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Our pups names just fit. Kane looks like a Kane and Roxie like a Roxie.

Don't know any other way to put it. :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jake(GSD) Boyfriend wanted to name him bullet, sister wanted to name him ollie, her husband wanted to name him zeke, mom wanted to name him willow (idk about her lol) I chose Jake :)....he looked like a little Jake?

Daisy---> She was realllly slow as a puppy, ate slow, moved slow, learned slow (i love my dog btw lol :) ) So I thought of Daisy, they're pretty to look at, and she has little spots on her back that i say look like petals. lol.

Panda ---> I don't remember the name he had when I first got him...but I tried Polar...but I felt it was cold lol. Since he looked so intimidating to me at first I wanted something that made me think of a big cuddily sqwooshy butt, and his nose is black and white ahaha.

(I named my cat sebastein because i was 9 and i swore the smudge on his face made him look french...and Felix because he was a crazy little kitten & i like the name lol)

·
Banned
666 Posts
I hear it all the time... Sebile (pronounced Sabeal) Whats that? LOL Well, since the hubby and I are avid fisherman here in the great sunshine state, what better than to name your baby girl after a fishing lure? :) Whenever I'm at the dog park or out and hear the names people come up with, I always wonder, howd you come up with that name?? Some common, some, like mine, uncommon. So I was wondering.... How'd you come up with your dogs name? I'd love to hear everyones response!!
:woof:

This is Sebile....

This is Sooner, I got him from the SPCA. He came with that name. Although, I always wonder if his owners were Oklahoma Sooner fans. lol

I've heard a lot of dogs called sooner here in the South. I'll refrain from telling you where it orginated from. There are a few variations.

Gage is lucky he has a name at all. LOL. He didn't have one until about a month ago. I kept changing it. He almost thought his name was puppy.
At first I wanted to name him some macho bully gangsta type name. We went from Capone to Vito. Then I wanted to name him Sam because my best friend loved the blues and passed away a year ago. My nickname to her was always Sam. From there he started acting really goofy and I was going to name him Rufus Rafus. I looked up Indian names since my bf is very much into native american culture. Finally I just wanted him named and I wanted something masculine and short and simple. Gage popped into my head and I deemed him Gage. I posted the name and someone said, "wow isn't that the name of the pet cemetary dude"? My daughter said, "please, don't tell her that she'll be changing his name again."
Oso was named after my son (long story) but he had it tatooed on his arm because his Mexican friends called him OSO meaning Bear.
Leanitis (sp) after the movie
Lexus, was already named when we got her: Ohoppee River's Lexus

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Call name: Cuda Registered name: (my last name)'s Barracuda
He was the most agile pup and adult, and I thought it was sort of a tough name ( the barracuda is such a fierce animal and stealthy) with a catchy call name:)

Call name: Jack Registered name: (my last name)'s Jack Hammer
Right from the get go, and by looking at his parents, I knew he would be a heavy hitting brute:)

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
How did Nubs get his name? Notice his tail...

we were trying to come up with a name for him when we first brought him home. My Boyfriend at the time was poking fun at him for wagging his "nub" so hard and the name Nubs just stuck

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
I named my moms dog miracle. Because i guess she was one. We got her at 8 weeks and her previous owner fed her greens and red beans and rice. poor dog. she had some bug life in her ears and heart worms, emaciated and a fever. But after my 5 weeks of care and money saving and spending she was all better :) so i got to name her and i named her miracle :D

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
OK here's where you get to make fun of me. I was a big fan of WCW pro wrestling when it was around. Their main show was Monday Nitro so that's how Nitro got his name.

My wife named Roxy because, as k8nkane says, she kinda looks like a Roxy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Nikita was name because of what she has survived... As a pup someone threw her and her brothers in the coldest part of winter into a garbage can... Her brothers died and so the name Nikita came which means unconquered....

Sarge is just that he is the officer of the dogs in our home... He holds rank... Always has since I got him from a hub that was going take him to the shelter for being the wrong color....

Lulu well she's a foo foo dog and so she got a foo foo name... Her full name is lulu baloo

Mooch the cat is just that... She's mooches love off anyone and everyone

The rabbits crash and Elle are from the movie ice age ?( ask the kids) lol. And the the is Penelope I don't know it just came to me when I saw her...

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Argos is the name of Odysseus' dog, from Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey.

After Odysseus spends twenty long years at sea and finally returns home to Ithaca, he has to disguise himself as a beggar to hide from suitors that have been courting his chaste wife. Argos is the first to recognize him, even through the disguise.

Homer said:
As they were talking, a dog that had been lying asleep raised his head and pricked up his ears. This was Argos, whom Odysseus had bred before setting out for Troy, but he had never had any enjoyment from him. In the old days he used to be taken out by the young men when they went hunting wild goats, or deer, or hares, but now that his master was gone he was lying neglected on the heaps of mule and cow dung that lay in front of the stable doors till the men should come and draw it away to manure the great close; and he was full of fleas. As soon as he saw Odysseus standing there, he dropped his ears and wagged his tail, but he could not get close up to his master. When Odysseus saw the dog on the other side of the yard, dashed a tear from his eyes without Eumaeus seeing it, and said:

"Eumaeus, what a noble hound that is over yonder on the manure heap: his build is splendid; is he as fine a fellow as he looks, or is he only one of those dogs that come begging about a table, and are kept merely for show?"

"This hound," answered Eumaeus, "belonged to him who has died in a far country. If he were what he was when Odysseus left for Troy, he would soon show you what he could do. There was not a wild beast in the forest that could get away from him when he was once on its tracks. But now he has fallen on evil times, for his master is dead and gone, and the women take no care of him. Servants never do their work when their master's hand is no longer over them, for Zeus takes half the goodness out of a man when he makes a slave of him."

So saying he entered the well-built mansion, and made straight for the riotous pretenders in the hall. But Argos passed into the darkness of death, now that he had seen his master once more after twenty years.
In greek mythology, Argos is also the name of an unsleeping giant with eyes all over his body. Upon his defeat, Hera scattered his eyes on the peacock's tail.

My cat's name is Vincent, after the infamous Vincent Price. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Argos is the name of Odysseus' dog, from Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey.

After Odysseus spends twenty long years at sea and finally returns home to Ithaca, he has to disguise himself as a beggar to hide from suitors that have been courting his chaste wife. Argos is the first to recognize him, even through the disguise.

In greek mythology, Argos is also the name of an unsleeping giant with eyes all over his body. Upon his defeat, Hera scattered his eyes on the peacock's tail.

My cat's name is Vincent, after the infamous Vincent Price. ;D
Vincent Price was an original, I loved his stuff!!! He and Hitchcock were the "old dogmen" of horror:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Scruffy, is um, Scruffy
Boo because the first thing i said to her was "What's the matta' with my little Boo?"
And it just stuck
Ace, Ace of hearts, cause he wins over everyones heart
Ziggy, He has zigzags down his back

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Dooneys register name is Stones Dooney and Bourke and he is named after my wife hand bag of choice (purse). She told me you can keep him If I can name him, and there it is.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Well I got Pretty Girls name by letting the kids name her.They said she was a Pretty Girl and wanted to name her that,so I said what the heck why not.

Fatboy is the name the previous owners gave him.He knows it,so why change it as much as I hate it.

Suey (rip) I got from the late great Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter.I have been watching this man since 1998 and just loved him and all he stood for and represented.His dog was named Suey (i only recently found out it was spelled differently).So I wanted to name my dog after his in a kind of respect thing.

·
Banned
204 Posts
his paper name was EVIL and when i heard that growl he sounded possessed lol. he is not mean he just growls lol he didnt start barking still 7 mnths. i always thought his growl was his bark. if you play with him he growls and you would think he was mad but hes just a growler i guess. he has one of the meanist barks you have ever heard . hes my baby EVIL im about to adopt a female soon and im gonna name her ANGEL . EVIL and ANGEL sounds good to me lol.hopfully shes an angel though lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL these are too funny! I can't believe how much thought some of you put into the names!! Not just the regular names either. Its so cool to hear everyones story. I will definatly put more thought into the next dog I get! lol :) Thanks everyone, keep em comin!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Harold... is gonna be big his mom is 85lbs and his dad is around 110lbs. I hate the stigma these dogs have, and not that I dislike "tough" sounding names it seems like everbody expects him to have a name like tank or diesel, when they hear Harold they laugh and immeadiatly let their guard down. Plus, it was funny to say "Harold! don't pee over there!" when I was house breaking him :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
awww love the name stories!

Gargamel got his name from the Smurfs wizard having a big nose, and my gargamel has a big old snorter, lol His nicknames have evolved into pig or piggy cause of his snorting though. But my standby is Mel, or Smelly depending on how his belly is that day, lol. Poor thing has so many names. He responds to them all too :) smart boy...

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Bruno's name was actually Bruce,in the shelter,but I kept calling him Bruno on accident...So it just kinda stuck. :3

MoMo's name was actually Cherry S. Black at the shelter(duuuuuuuuuuuumb)\

I liked the fruit sounding names,and my mom suggested MoMo which means Peach in Japanese.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts