Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys..im new to the forum and to the page itself..i got a 5 months old blue his name is loki and ive enjoyed him so much i wouldnr change him for anything..now..ive read a bunch about blue pits and i think im confused as hell..ive read that blue pits are more inmune to skin issues due to their genes..ive also read that they are weak links due to there genes..so basically the genes have f*d them all up..i have also been told that is not ok to breed a blue with some other color pit..has to be blue..my question is..is this really true? Can i cross breed my dog with ANY color of pit..if so..is there going to be any type of problems with the pups..what if i cross breed my blue with another blue is this going to affect in anything? I just want to clear this up since in the future i want my dogs sibblings to be healthy enough and get my dogs name out there

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Blue pits are just like all other pits their just a different color the color has nothing to do with their bloodline. It is better to breed a blue to a none blue because many generations of blue dogs can ultimately lead to weak immune system and allergies. In my personal experience blue dogs typically are more pron to skin issues. Stick around and search the forum you will find what information you seek. We get these questions alot and honestly most get aggravated at the same questions being asked over and over I know I'm guilty of it.

Now as far as breeding. You should rethink that thought there is alot to going into breeding and to be honest by the pics of your dog he lacks breed type. He is most likely an American Bully but even then he still so far lacks breed type.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Blue to blue breedings actually have a larger chance for skin defects like alopecia. The real question is what has your dog done to prove itself breed worthy and then you need to find a dog that compliments it nicely that has also proven itself breed worthy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the comments. So now my question is..how can i know if my dog is a "pure breed" or whatever..what are the standards?..whats so different about my dog? And my question really was if i could cross breed a blue with another blue..im kinda lost now

·
Banned
793 Posts
Ok thanks for the comments. So now my question is..how can i know if my dog is a "pure breed" or whatever..what are the standards?..whats so different about my dog? And my question really was if i could cross breed a blue with another blue..im kinda lost now
Only way to know if pure bred or not is with papers pedigree etc.
You're dog can adhere to every standard but without papers its just a nice looking mutt.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
No you do not want to cross a blue colored dog with another blue colored dog. Blue dogs are known to have skin issues and weaker immune systems due to over breeding. So crossing blue with blue would just make the issues even worse... People have been over breeding blue colored dogs for years and its no wonder they have bad immune systems and skin problems.
You can tell what breed of dog you have by looking at the pedigree papers and seeing the bloodlines. Post your dog's pedigree and we can look at it and tell you what you have. AmStaffs, American Pit bull Terriers and American Bullies are often confused with each other.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
hi there

welcome.

Blue is simply the color of the dog. It is not a "kind" if Pit Bull. To be completely honest you pup looks more like a bully than a Pit.

To answer your question about the skin. Blue is a diluted gene. Which means that it has got a watered down version of the color pigment. This is the opposite of a seal dog, where the full color pigment is blocked and as such the dog is not full black.

It is not necessarily because a dog is blue that they have issues with their skin. This said, Blue is a recessive gene, and recessive genes very often come packaged with things like skin issues.

I know that blue Dobies can suffer from a skin thing where there is a problem with the shaft and that causes the hair to break and not grow back properly, leading them to have dull and patchy coats.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
As ebar said you have to have papers to know the dogs lineage if not it is just a mutt. And as far as crossbreeding do you even know the definition for crossbreeding?

cross·breed [kraws-breed, kros-] Show IPA verb, cross·bred, cross·breed·ing, noun
verb (used with object)
to produce (a hybrid); hybridize.
verb (used without object)
to undertake or engage in hybridizing; hybridize.
noun
a crossbred.

You are making a hybrid meaning

hy·brid [hahy-brid] Show IPA
noun
the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.

So seems you want to breed mutts anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Got it..i know both his parents have papers..ill have to take him to get "checked out" lol
You need to learn A TON about breeding before you do it you will not consider learning more then getting an approval for you to breed and quite frankly you will not get it here. You keep referring to colors as the dogs bloodlines almost like all colored dogs of the same color have the same genes well sorry bud but that's not true.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im reffering to the dogs color only since thats what ive read all over..regardless of the bloodline it seems that blue colored coat dogs seem to have more inmune system issues thats what im reffering to..and i probably used a bad term..i just wanted to know if at the time i crossed my dog i would get nice pups..i know i would get jumped by saying "nice pups" but i just want to make sure my dogs sibblings dont have the same issues he might have

·
1,859 Posts
Im reffering to the dogs color only since thats what ive read all over..regardless of the bloodline it seems that blue colored coat dogs seem to have more inmune system issues thats what im reffering to..and i probably used a bad term..i just wanted to know if at the time i crossed my dog i would get nice pups..i know i would get jumped by saying "nice pups" but i just want to make sure my dogs sibblings dont have the same issues he might have
Dude do you know what a sibling is?

·
Banned
793 Posts
No one is trying to jump you but its a very common question breeding isn't something to do for color looks or temperament. . Its a combination of things but the main thing being WHAT HAS YOUR DOG DONE if he hasn't been to any shows or events you're just breeding a dog bc you like him or her. The pedigree from the parents help determine lineage and can give you a better idea of dogs health and other things but just bc he or she has good lineage doesn't automatically mean your dog should be bred. If he or she hasn't proven themselves then why breed? Don't take any offense please you're just asking a question that if you had searched these forums a bit you would have seen how many times that question has been asked.

·
scratchin hard
2,147 Posts
Aint no body jumped you cuz! Now you are in the gen diss forum so i will offer you a bit of advise....

But i'll say this first....no i wont.....

These folks are trying to keep you from making a mistake....

They hear these ??? All the time all day long.....

The advise is,listen and read....you are so far from breeding that mutt it should be the fartherest thing from your mind...

Now i'm jumpin ya for the comment not the mutt...

That'll come tho give it time......

Reactions: hashbrown

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
.i just wanted to know if at the time i crossed my dog i would get nice pups..

i just want to make sure my dogs sibblings dont have the same issues he might have
There is no way to know if your dog would produce nice pups bred to a different colored dog unless we knew bloodlines of both and even then you could still get a shit pile. What do you mean by you wanted to make sure siblings wouldn't have same issues as him?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is just 5 months old...i have not taken him to a shows or anything..so he hasnt DONE anything..i dont want to have a kennel at my house or anything of that kind..obviousky at a given moment i want to cross my dog t get pups...thats all

·
Banned
793 Posts
He is just 5 months old...i have not taken him to a shows or anything..so he hasnt DONE anything..i dont want to have a kennel at my house or anything of that kind..obviousky at a given moment i want to cross my dog t get pups...thats all
Ill be up front with you then. You probably won't get the answer you're wanting. People tend to promote and educate here on smart breeding. You're asking a very open ended question we don't know anything about your 5 month old pup nor his parwnts or their ped or even what their papered as and what papers ukc abda abkc?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
And that is you selfishly adding more dogs to the system that will possibly wind up in shelters. I can understand wanting to have something off him but, if he is not breed worthy what is the point? So what are you going to do with him come say this next year cause he is of age to show come next month.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ill take it as the welcoming treart..thanks for all the info though..ill take my mutt to get check out..so can i atleast say his a pitbull in the meantime?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts