Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My names Michael Drake, Im from Ripley, WV... I have worked with rescued pits for over 4-5 yrs that i helped rescue from horrible situations mainly puppy mills and amateur pit fighter wanna be's who gets themselves hurt... I am always standing up for the breed to help get more people educated and to realize that pits are the bad dogs people make them out to be... I am on the mission to get my mom to stop saying she is scared of them when she has only been around one pit in her life... I am working on rescuing another one from a shelter... I plan on working with all different training and agility classes with him to also help people realize they can do anything a lab, retriever, or other family dog breeds can...

Michael Drake

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome to the forum michael.Theres a ton of info available on here.Have to say i appreciate what you do and hope you can get what you need from here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I have learnt from past experiences that even if a dog was trained for fighting, it can be trained out of that especially once thier altered... Had one male who would attack any animal that crossed his path, and once he was neutered and thru basic training he was out in the field playin with the other dogs I had rescued and is now in a home where he is a loved family member and the people even has small kids and he is great... They have had him now for about 5 yrs and not once have they had any aggression out of him... So I know any dog can be worked with and become loving pets...

I just got to convince my mom their not horrible dogs cuz i want to include mine and my partners pit puppy in the family Christmas get together, but mo said she didn't want the pit there cuz thier mean and blood thirsty animals when the pup comes from a temperament focused line where they breed for calm loving dogs... My pup is a little slobber hound and is scared of her own shadow half the time and even scared of the baby ferrets we have also....

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Thanks... I have learnt from past experiences that even if a dog was trained for fighting, it can be trained out of that especially once thier altered... Had one male who would attack any animal that crossed his path, and once he was neutered and thru basic training he was out in the field playin with the other dogs I had rescued and is now in a home where he is a loved family member and the people even has small kids and he is great... They have had him now for about 5 yrs and not once have they had any aggression out of him... So I know any dog can be worked with and become loving pets...

I just got to convince my mom their not horrible dogs cuz i want to include mine and my partners pit puppy in the family Christmas get together, but mo said she didn't want the pit there cuz thier mean and blood thirsty animals when the pup comes from a temperament focused line where they breed for calm loving dogs... My pup is a little slobber hound and is scared of her own shadow half the time and even scared of the baby ferrets we have also....
I have to disagree with that one...umm...the fact that the APBT is dog agressive is not because it was "taught" that, it's because it's instinctual. To claim that you can take a fighting dog and turn it into a dog friendly dog is just asking for trouble. It's setting the dog up for failure. This breed doesn't need dog friends. And having a dog altered doesn't effect DA at all, I know many people on this forum who have altered males who are highly DA. Just sayin....

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
HI and welcome. I hope you can get your mom to see the light that these can be wonderful dogs in he right hands. I hope you find what you are looking for on this forum. We have lots of great people and tons of knowlegde to share.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi welcome to the site lots of very wise people here. I have a ex fighter Odin hes my second ex fighter. Hes great with people no agression and great with 98% of other dogs. But if another alpha male comes around and picks a fight he will not tolarate that. So just be carefull. I have always been able to stop it befor it got ugly but the risk is there. There very head strong lol.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Welcome to GP, some geat info here, if you have nay questions just ask :D Thank you for rescuing :D

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Take some time to catch up on some threads here and post away!There are tons of great input here about this breed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the welcomes... I have one pet peeve which i know a few will agree with me on... People needs to learn that Staffordshires & Am Pits are two totally different breeds... I just got back from a handling class where i was showing my young female Staffordshire girl and seeing a pit next to an am staff there is a whole lot of differences between the breeds... I really get erked when i see postings online for Am Staffs and look at the pics and all they are are Pits and vice versa... I had a lady try to sell me an american bulldog as a pit and i know better than that... I am an AKC/CKC/UKC handler and i kinda take it upon myself that when i am interested in a claimed AKC/CKC/UKC dog i will do a dna to verify that the dog is of the breed and the exact dog as on the papers... Im just to OC when it comes to these things.

Proof they are different breeds:

UKC Standard & Description:

Staffs: http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/StaffordshireBullTerrier

Pits: http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrierRevisedNovember12008

CKC:

Staffs: https://www.continentalkennelclub.com/Ads.aspx?BreedNum=654

Pits: https://www.continentalkennelclub.com/Ads.aspx?BreedNum=20

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Welcome to our pack, Michael. Glad to have you here, and I hope you enjoy your stay! Good for you on doing rescue work, and helping to educate the public about these dogs. One more soldier in the fight is exactly what we need! I look forward to interacting more with you again soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I got my staffy pup and he is an 8 wk old ball of icy fire lol... His name is Kodiak aka Kodi.. he is a white staff with green eyes and just one brown spot on his ear base... Here are a few pics of him... He also loves to be cuddled and laying on the vents when they kick on lol...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts