Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Hey all, new member here. I have recently moved to the Houston, TX area with my 4 year old brindle pit boxer named Lina. I rescued her 1 1/2 years ago from a shelter in Philly where I used to live. Attached is a pic of her with my brother's minpin.

Although she is generally a very good girl, there are some issues that I would like to address and I'm hoping the good members of this forum might be able to help out.

Anyways, I look forward to discussing issues with you all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
welcome :)

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the extremely quick reply!

The majority of the issues stem from me walking her. I make sure that we go for a walk at least twice a day (once before work, once after work) for about 20-30 mins. The problems arise when she sees or comes close to another dog. I see the hair on the back of the neck start to go up and I can tell she is getting excited/nervous. Then the barking & pulling starts. I wouldn't necessarily categorize it as aggressive barking, more of a yelping really.

Another related issue is when I take her to a place she is not familiar with, such as a pet expo. When she's at a place like this, the barking doesn't stop. I think it may be nerves as she doesn't know the people there or where she is. Plus there's a lot of activity usually going on which adds to her anxiety I believe.

And when she's at home and is looking out the window and sees another dog, she starts with the barking and whining.

I'm not sure how to positively deal with these types of problems. It gets frustrating at times and I don't want to resort to yelling or any other kind of negative punishment.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
536 Posts
:welcome: to GoPitbull! What you are experiencing is a typical pitbull trait, they are genetically DA (Dog Agressive), and while some can be just fine with other dogs for their entire lives, some can't. I noticed you have another dog, so it could just be that she is aggressive towards strange dogs. There is a lot to learn about this trait and how to manage it, but most of the time it can't be trained out of them. I'm sure some of the trainers around here could have tips on how to manage your dog's behavior, but it's most likely something that will always be there. If you start another thread in the training section with your questions I'm sure you can get a lot of pointers and suggestions. There is a lot more to owning one of these dogs than people think, and you have come to the right place to learn! :)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Welcome to GP from a fellow Texan, there are a lot of great ppl on her with great info, do not hesitate to ask questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.