Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Apbt stays in a kennel out side and gets walked everyday.. I have a problem with her jumping around in her pen so much that her dog house tears apart. Her roof comes off the floor we have tried drilling the to pieces together she works the screws loose jumping on the house so much. I put it back together and she tears it right back up.. Idk what else to do. HELP. When i bring her inside she never lays down unless she is in her crate she will walk thru out the house constantly and when you try and get her she runs away from you and runs thru the entire house.. I cant do anything with this dog. she is so hyper its crazy. My parents are tired of it and want to leave her outside all the time. i have tried all the training methods. I have even tried some off cesar millans methods nothing is helping HELPPPP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, you do walk your dog, but what about mental stimulation? An American Pitbull wants to be worked. Not only physically but also mentally. :)

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
She needs exercise, more that just a walk will provide her. Also mental stimulation. Try making a *flirt pole and playing with her in the yard with it.

*a flirt pole is a pole with a rope and a toy or hide on the end. Think of it as a big cat toy for dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I agree, more fun is needed. How about getting some kongs and keep them filled int he freezer so when she gets kenneled she also gets a kong? The puppy kong filled with peanut butter and frozen lasts my boy about an hour or an hour and a half. Peanut butter, cheese, pumpkin puree, hamburger anything that can be stuffed and frozen will help keep your dog active while locked. Make sure there are plenty of chew toys that can be used unsupervised so there is something else to go to besides the house.

Get a treadmill off of craigslist and run her energy off if you are unable to walk it off her yourself. (I can tell you how to train her to use one if you are interested, just took my boy a few days, really helps when I work long hours or its snow or rainy out.) Ride a bike get her running. Sounds like she just needs an outlet. I am sure if you run her hard for a few days to tire her out, and then get a nice routine and keep her interested and occupied it will help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Crate Games from Susan Garret. It won't happen over night and takes a couple of weeks but they work. I did them myself. We use the down instead of the sit, later on it doesn't matter if the dog sits or downs as long as he stays, though.

The dog learns to think for himself and makes decisions. YOU shape the dogs behavior into what you want from the dog. You don't tell the dog what to do. You shape him. :)

You can build a cheap platform and use it to re-call your dog first, then you have him down on the platform. Later you can transform that to a placing mat anywhere around the house, to further progress in obedience or with directionals, if you even want to do any of that. But it's a great way to keep your dog active and teach obedience.

Week 5 - YouTube

You could also do Nosework with the dog. That is a great way to mentally stimulate your dog. All you need is a couple of boxes and food in the beginning.

Fun 'Nose Work' Ideas - YouTube

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Excercise, Excercise, Excercise! That's what she needs and is also telling you she wants it. I walk/jog my girl 5 miles most days. flirt pole, fetch, and keep her stimulated. A life in a kennel is no fun and boring to an active breed. I'm not against kennels nor am I saying she is in one 24/7 but she needs an outlet and more activity to be happy.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
You need to listen.. you seem stressed also. This dog wants exercise! How far do you walk? we go 8 miles (or 2 miles dragging a tire), then some flirtpole. And some other stuff but thatll do for you. Spend 100 and get a treadmill..
You said she doesnt turn on to it.. try tying a steak on it.. or a hide..
find some water, swim!! run in fields. Most of all, spend on a serious trainer!, at least a few sessions.. less than 100 Isnt your dog worth saving??

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Walking alone isn't going to touch that dog's energy level. It would be best for both of you if you spent a lot of time with this girl working obedience, she needs to work not just her body, but her mind, and you need to work on building a bond with her. All I see in your posts is frustration with the dog or questions about her heritage. It doesn't matter where she came from, it matters where you two are going together. Channel that energy

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Quit calling your dog an APBT, it is rather insulting. You don't know what was bred to create her (both sides) therefore for all you know shes a mutt. How many threads did you make on this and your still calling her an APBT?

I remember you posting before about walking a mile or two a day, thats no where near enough for virtually any dog breed, let alone one thats "hyperactive" or active. If you did have a Bulldog or even APBT thats not even on the same page as enough.

It doesn't surprise me that you tried the flirt pole and it didn't work out, unless you have a hound with a bit of prey drive you aren't going to have much luck with diving right on in. Some dogs will take to it immediately, others have no idea what you are asking of them.

It is best to work with what you know works currently, people have already given you tons of ways to exercise your dog, go through them and see what sticks for now and what doesn't.. If you need to, reward with a treat or lots of extra attention to associate it with even more positive vibes.. Don't exercise to the point of exhaustion with any one thing, leave her wanting more.. Build her willingness higher OR if she has any level of drive associated with the activity, build upon that. It takes time introducing new activities sometimes as they don't always "get it" at first.

Read your dog, don't over work her body or mentality as the idea isn't to break her spirits, rather keep her fit and worn out of her excess energy.

It was your choice to get a dog and this is really basic, if you don't have the time to exercise her properly and keep her mentally stimulated than you have no business owning a dog right now. Look at re-homing to someone that does with a bit of common sense and experience.

And for the love of god quit calling her what she isn't.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
There are so many things you can do to exercise your dog both mentally and physically. Swimming, spring pole, frisbee, fetch/retrieving, rollerblading, biking and skateboarding are all great exercises that you and your dog can do together.

Interactive dog toys are recommend to mentally exercise your dog. Kyjen Star Spinner Puzzle Dog Toy, Everlasting Treat Ball for Dogs, Kong, Nylabone, Busy Buddy, Tricky Treat Ball Dog Toy and Bounce Squeeze Bone Dog Toy are all good toys.

Take her to obedience training classes, obedience training is a great way to bond with your dog, exercise your dog both mentally and physically and to learn how to train your dog correctly.

Leaving her outside is going to make the situation worse and it's going to make her behavior worse. Don't get a dog if you're going or thinking about leaving it outside all the time when the actual problem is the owner. You need to exercise this dog both mentally and physically. You need to enroll this dog into an obedience class. You need to care for this dog. You need to get this dog involved in an activity.
Keeping a dog outside has nothing to do with making the behavior worse. Inside or outside OR both as long as the dog is getting enough exercise daily and proper care, theres nothing wrong with not keeping a dog inside.

A mile or two a day is laughable to defend as enough exercise every single day, its no wonder shes "hyperactive"..

·
Registered
140 Posts
fetch, tug of war, spring pole/flirt pole, running and during the warmer months swimming... thats how i get my ball of energy pooped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts