Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes.

We have a 2 year old female, roughly 60lbs. She has always "sat" on her hip when she sits. I never thought much of it other than she looks goofy when doing it. Recently it seems that she is having a hard time getting up from a nap, like she is struggling a bit with her rear quarters. We go on regular walks and she never makes any sounds that would indicate she is in pain.

Any advice or experience with similar situations would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Pit bulls won't show pain to much if none at all. You should have her hips checked by the vet and see whats going on. Could be displaysia (hips) or patella (knees) issues. I am having a foot issue with my girl Bella :D She still wants to run on it and has now been on strict crate rest since last Wednesday. She is going to get an X-ray on Thursday to see whats going on. These are tough dogs and they act like pain or discomfort don't phase them. Is Bella over weight at all? Also, what kind of food is she on? You could get her some glucosamine/chrondrotin supplements and start her on it. Depending on what type of supplement you get it can work wonders for dogs with joint and dysplasia issues. Dog food never has enough of glucosamine in it. First things first though.....start with a trip to the vet and get an Xray done on her back end :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is not over weight from what I think. We just started both of the dogs on Blue Buffalo grain free dry food last week. We have tried a few different foods in the past so hopefully this food works well for both dogs.

I want to take her in to the vet soon, choosing a vet is the hard part for me. I have read so many things about good vet vs. a vet that missed something very important.

Does anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area have any good suggestions for a vet?

Thanks again for all the help!

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
best of luck with her and her vet visit. When my dog tore her acl's she didn't even act like anything was wrong with her!She just limped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am going to call a few different vets tomorrow to get an appointment made to look at her. She seems to be doing better today, she was not doing very well yesterday after my wife took her for a pretty lengthy walk. Today she didnt do any strenuous activities.

I have a friend that has some glucosamine that she has used for her dogs when healing from an ACL injury. I am going to start giving her some of that while we wait for the vet.

Blue_Nose_Bella - I hope your appointment on Thursday with your Bella goes well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got some friends out that way that use Dr Erickson at

Value Pet Clinic Inc
12925 SE Kent Kangley Rd Unit 101 Kent,WA 98030 map
(253) 638-8833

You can post on the APA Weight pull board that are a lot of PNW pullers that post there :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I am going to call a few different vets tomorrow to get an appointment made to look at her. She seems to be doing better today, she was not doing very well yesterday after my wife took her for a pretty lengthy walk. Today she didnt do any strenuous activities.

I have a friend that has some glucosamine that she has used for her dogs when healing from an ACL injury. I am going to start giving her some of that while we wait for the vet.

Blue_Nose_Bella - I hope your appointment on Thursday with your Bella goes well.

Thank you! I appreciate that :) she is actually doing great and walking pretty normal again but we are still keeping our vet app. Your Bella is adorable :D! Also try fish oil in her diet it has alot of health benefits not just for skin and coat but also for inflammation in joints. Flax seed oil also has the same affect and is less smelly ;). Keep us updated on her.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So we went to the vet today for an exam, he seems to be leaning towards torn ACL in both knees. Obviously we have to wait and see after they do the X-rays next week. On the insides of her knees you can feel a small "bump", he thinks that could be bone build up from having torn her ACL. We are going to look at the hips as well in the xrays when she is under.

Anyone have any experience with this type of injury?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the vet confirmed his diagnosis with the X-rays today. She has torn ACL in both knees. Hips look great, but the knees will need surgery to repair.

2 different types of surgery and both are out of my budget.

Does anyone have any advice as to alternative methods to help this type of injury. If I cant get the surgery there must be something that will help.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Nothing will fix torn ACL's but you could save up and get one knee done at a time and also check the prices of multiple vets by calling around. It is painful to have the torn ACL but you can manage it with pain medication till you can get it fixed. I have had many clients who have had the surgery done and they heal up good. I also have seen dogs not get fixed and they live in pain. My mom's dog has a torn ACL and they are not fixing it and it drives me nuts! That poor dog is in pain everyday and getting older, she will be crippled before her time.

Some dogs can recover if they have a partial tear, with crate rest but it takes a long time. It still has the possibility of tearing all the way but you might not have to have surgery if it is a partial.

Your dogs sounds like it is blown all the way and that is a bummer. Take some time and save the money for the surgery, you and the dog will be thankful ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts