Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last several days Ecko will be fine all day. Eats his breakfast takes his morning walk and he's fine. I come home, feed him dinner we chill on the couch and about 9pm he ralphs on the couch. It's about half his dinner that he's tossing back up. Then he's fine again. I can't get to the vet until Tuesday. So I'm hopping someone here might have an idea. Any comments or advice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Does he eat quick? could he maybe just be getting to much air or gas trapped and having to expell it causing him to ralph? Any chance he does this to breakfast too and noone sees it when you are are gone for the day? is anyone home that would notice if he does in the morning too? Seems weird would only be at 1 meal. Or maybe just too much food and he doesnt stop when full? my uncles lab was like that would eat till he was sick so he really had to have food regulated and scheduled because of that.

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's really weird because he get's the same serving he's had for the last year and a half. He's crated when I'm at work and there's no mess in his crate. He can't get into anything, because he's always with me. It's a giant riddle. I'll try making him eat slower and see if that helps. I appreciate your idea and am going to try it first thing in the morning.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
not to sound gross but if my dogs puke and I dont rush to cleanit they will try to "GAG" makes me sick when they do , but any chance he is just cleaning it up himself in the morning?

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
not to sound gross but if my dogs puke and I dont rush to cleanit they will try to "GAG" makes me sick when they do , but any chance he is just cleaning it up himself in the morning?
that's my guess too. and maybe the double digestion lets him keep it down better throughout the day? at night to you give him more dinner and does he keep that down?

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to check his crate for residue. I didn't even think about that. He gets a cup more at dinner time then he does at breakfast. He's had the same amount at the same times every day for the last year and a half. I'm trying making him eat slower, maybe I'll try. A smaller portion at dinner. He's put on a little weight, but I just figured it was his winter fluff. Thank you Angel and Ames. :)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Do you ever fast him? I have always believed that it is not natural for them to eat the same amount every single day and that sometimes their digestive system needs a little break once in awhile.

What food is he eating? The only time I had my dogs throw up food was because something was wrong with the food itself. It was a brand they had been eating for well over a year and the problem went away as soon as I switched foods.

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've reduced his intake by a half cup and made him eat extra slow this morning. He's on TOTW Lamb since he's allergic to chicken. He hasn't thrown up since last night. The test will be tonight after I make him eat dinner slowly. If he holds it down then I know that speed eating is the problem. If he doesn't, then back to the drawing board.

He has not tossed cookies from morning feedings. His crate is completely clean. (Aside from his usual corn chip smell) LOL!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
well that's good to hear, you can also put some big rocks in his bowl with his food to help slow him down when eating, he has to eat around the rocks and makes it slower.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
my oldest male used to do this when he would inhale his food!! he would get it up and clean it back up it came up and wasent even chewed most of the time he figured it out on his own tho to take his time and eat now lol

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put 3 tennis balls in his bowl and stand over him making him take a bite and chew before the next bite. There were no barf piles this weekend. YAY! Thank you everyone for the wonnderful advice. I hope you all had a very merry Christmas. :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
So glad Ecko is feeling better! Good news :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I put 3 tennis balls in his bowl and stand over him making him take a bite and chew before the next bite. There were no barf piles this weekend. YAY! Thank you everyone for the wonnderful advice. I hope you all had a very merry Christmas. :)
great news!!! Hope you had a Merry Christmas as well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.