Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
go to the vet and buy your flea treatment( you'll probably wanna give him a bath before you put it on). so bath him then give him a quick rub down in skin so soft from avon it leaves his coat shiny and repels fleas a little bit. the next day put the flea meds on him. we use advantage II hope that helps

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Do you take dogs to the vet for fleas or is there home treatment I can do? o_O where can I buy stuff?
No. You don't have to go to the vet just go to petsmart or Petco and get some frontline or some of that other pesticide to put on your dog. You can bathe them with some dawn dish soap. I used to use it for kittens and young pups who had fleas when I was a groomer. Its very gentle and you don't want to overload your pups with chemicals. You also may want to treat your house or you will never get rid of the problem. Try to find some natural products to use in the home.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
pet friendly way to get rid of fleas and ticks in your home or yard

Essential Oils
True cinnamon oil contains a combination of cinnamaldehyde, which makes up approximately 90 percent of the oil by volume and gives cinnamon its flavor; eugenol, which is also found in cloves and is often used as a dental anesthetic; and anethole, which gives anise and black licorice its flavor. All three of these are fairly environmentally friendly, and they all kill bugs. However, many commercially available cinnamon oils contain only cinnamaldehyde, which kills fleas but not necessarily ticks. However, the smell burns the bugs' scent receptors and eyes, so it does tend to drive them away. Simply mix an ounce of cinnamon oil into a half-gallon of horticultural oil and spray it in an inconspicuous place to make sure the mixture won't burn your grass. Afterward, load the mixture into a sprayer and apply it to the lawn and other affected areas.

Read more: Green Yard Spray for Fleas & Ticks | eHow.com Green Yard Spray for Fleas & Ticks | eHow.com

my mom works at a preschool and the pest control companies have to use nontoxic stuff cause of the kids so i know that the anise one works. would visit my mom at work and the whole school would smell like black licorice

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just don't know where the fleas came from? So idk where I would spray? I think an exterminator might work better... I also have 2 cats... should I treat them as well even if they have no symptoms?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should I clean the carpet with dawn dish soap as well then? Also - can Lily still get spayed with fleas? Our vet said yes but I want to make sure...I am hoping performance kennels (idk her name I think its lisa or something) replies to this thread!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I just don't know where the fleas came from? So idk where I would spray? I think an exterminator might work better... I also have 2 cats... should I treat them as well even if they have no symptoms?
You will be exposing them and yourself to alot of chemicals and you will need to leave the house for the day.....along with your animals. Are you sure it was a flea? Do your cats go out? You also have to becareful which flea and tick repellent you get for your dogs skin. There are some that are highly toxic to cats if they come in contact. I personally just stay away from all that crap. Don't use and never will. Thankfully fleas aren't common where I live. All my years owning dogs and never had an issue although my dogs aren't yard dogs either.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My cats are inside cats. I think my dogs got it from chickens or something. Does any dawn work or does it have to be a specific scent or type? I only have the pink kind with soothing oils so idk if I need to buy a different one. My vet told me to get Advantix.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Just get the plain old blue dawn. That's all I ever used

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its flea season they can live outside and be brought in just from playing in the yard its common. they dont live very long off a host so the ones in yur carpet unless they can get a host will die off soon , best bet is to vaccum or just shampoo the carpets no need for the chemical sprays IMO { we tried that last year and they didnt work that well} if you are going to use a chemical flea treatment for your dog IMO best ones are frontline and advantage the chep ones from walmart arent worth it better to pay the money for the good ones { we bought the cheap ones and my cat had a reaction to it he got seriously ill}. I found last year we started out dogs on garlic and brewers yeast tabs and that is what worked for our dogs they get it everyday and I swear by it , but that is up to you some say they dint have a change.If you keep ontop of the treatments you shouldnt have to worry about them comming back just remember to get your cats treated as well , even though they are inside if the dog has brought them in already they will be effected.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i get them just at the pet stores , read the directions I think the one we get its 1 pill for evey 10lbs so it may seem alot { well in your case proabably not lol , with loki it seemed alot lol}

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
i dont think spraying the yard with natrual essential oils would be a problem or giving the house a little spray. when in doubt ask i guess. they're only harmful to fleas

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dont think the parents will mind if you spray for fleas. The last thing you want is a flea outbreak, they are hard to get controll of once you have an outbreak. you will want to stay ontop of the fleas untill they are gone the best way to not have them is start your dogs on a flea treatment plan before the fleas have a chance to breakout. Fleas can live dormant and they hatch out when they feel vibrations. Your vet if they notice fleas can give her a pill I think its called capstar Im not sure but it will kill all fleas and she can have her surgery.
We have already started out dogs on the brewers yeast and garlic I got 1000 tablets for 8.$ at petsmart when using my petperks card. My dogs love them hey hear the bottle and they come running!
Hope this helps
angie

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to go get some of those from petsmart tonight since its right next to my gym. We already gave both cats and dogs a flea bath with cinnamon stuff from petco, plus used flea spray on them both, plus frontline, and cleaned their kennels with dawn.... tomorrow I'm going to scrub the carpets with dawn....so far so good. I'm hoping they don't come back o__o its not cheap...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How can I tell if all of the fleas are gone? My vet said frontline is spread throughout their fur using their natural oils...however Leo is still itching? His fur is growing back though. I haven't gotten the tablets yet as my vet said to wait 7 to 10 days after Lily's spay to begin them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.