Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a shelter and this lady walks buy this dogs kennel, looks at him and says 'oh cute.' Glances at his kennel card and sees he's a pitbull and says not cute. I told her not all pitbulls are mean. She says where I live they are banned. SO WHAT! I mean really keep you *** mouth shut. Aaargh! She topped off the most horrible day I've had in a long time. I just wanted to scream at her for being so dumb and ignorant. :(

Another story:
What's even worse is, the last pitbull we had I turned down the application. And one of the kennel staff says 'there's just some dogs you don't put with kids.' :mad: I said that's not why I turned them down. (I knew the people who had brought him in. Brothers ex-wife.) I said Dee-Cee was around my niece and nephew and he was awesome with them. I am sooooo sick of her comments and other crap. This last pit when it came to the floor we put not available signs up until we safer test the. So she puts a snap lock on his cage. I mean seriously? We don't do that for other dogs! Come on lady you work at a shelter and you are recking this breeds image. The next time I am going to the director because this has got to stop. She used to work at a shelter where they put down every pit. Well wake up! We are not putting every pitbull you have a feeling about or you don't like. Stop treating them like they are the blood machines. Get over it! :mad: :mad:

Wooooh. I feel better. Thanks for letting me rant. I needed it. Not alot of people who listen understand :)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
You should have politely looked her in the eye and said, "where I live YOU are banned" and add a "b*tch" in there just to stimey her even further;) I do believe that would be a real head turner.

·
Banned
666 Posts
You should have said, "oh sorry, wrong card, he's a poodle", why, I can't believe you didn't know that!!"
Better yet, change the card to say Amstaff, they'll never figure it out....

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Yea some people can just be ignorant about the breed. My g/f lives with her cousin, and I was gunna go stay with them for a few days, and my g/f told her cousin I had to bring my dog with me. Her cousin said "Oh! That's cool, what kinda dog?" and as soon as my g/f said APBT, her cousin changed her story and said "Those dogs are mean, he can't bring it here" ...

Kinda pisses me off...but you gotta live with it, when you have this breed! I hope you can straighten your coworker out though, no good having someone in her position preaching bad things about the breed to possible new owners. =/

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Wow people are so dumb. When my sister and I went down to the shelter to adopt a dog for her she saw big Bruce. They told us don't even look at that POS he's worthless and aggressive. He was on red level cause he's DA. We took him out in the yard and spent a while with him and knew right off the bat this was no dangerous monster like they made him seem. He was on his last day before being PTS so we took him and he has turned out to be a great dog. He loves all the kids and he even lives with a cat whom he loves dearly.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
First think you need to do is practice being sarcastic. Most people don't understand sarcasm so you can keep your intelligence but put them in their place you can even do it so they don't realize how mean you are really being. It is a wonderful tool. Thanks mom and dad you were great teachers.

Then you need to brush up on APBT statistic so you and just rattle them off when these people make these stupid assertations. It will make you feel better and given these idiots something to think about.

·
Banned
666 Posts
First think you need to do is practice being sarcastic. Most people don't understand sarcasm so you can keep your intelligence but put them in their place you can even do it so they don't realize how mean you are really being. It is a wonderful tool. Thanks mom and dad you were great teachers.

Then you need to brush up on APBT statistic so you and just rattle them off when these people make these stupid assertations. It will make you feel better and given these idiots something to think about.
Excellant post:clap::clap:

Totally agree! I worked on a customer escalation team for a while. We were recorded for quality assurance which meant we could in no way be out right rude. I learned how to get them to calm down but also how to escalate them even more while being sooooo very polite!! It became quite entertaining to watch them get higher and higher in escalation by just a change in your tone of voice. Especially adding at the end "have a nice day".
And when you have a better knowledge of the facts in the argument and an answer for every "myth" they have learned. There isn't a whole lot they can come back with.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Originally Posted by MY MIKADO

Excellant post:clap::clap: I 2nd that, :goodpost:(FH)

Totally agree! I worked on a customer escalation team for a while. We were recorded for quality assurance which meant we could in no way be out right rude. I learned how to get them to calm down but also how to escalate them even more while being sooooo very polite!! It became quite entertaining to watch them get higher and higher in escalation by just a change in your tone of voice. Especially adding at the end "have a nice day".
And when you have a better knowledge of the facts in the argument and an answer for every "myth" they have learned. There isn't a whole lot they can come back with.
One of my favorites when I was working for the SPCA and still today is bringing up the 1940s TV sitcom "The Lil' Rascals" whos main character played by belly mates Rascal & Petey both CH's and when the show showed the dogs wrapped in bandages it was from REAL fights/matches and those dog were surrounded by kids.. People want to believe a fighting is a dangerous maniacal animal because everyone is AFRAID.. Everyone lives in fear, its ignorant yes besides slappin people not much we can do, "snap out of it" hahaha:woof:

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
Firehazard,
the biggest reason,or difference from A game dog kept by those of us from the old and older school didn't have as much of A problem was we just for the most part were 95% or more, intolerable to biters.
I was in the industry in the late 70's to late 80's.I would see or be around no less than 100 dogs a week.and when we were out scoutin dogs papers we'd go to as many as 4-5 breeders in the carolinas and Tenn.,Georgia,and virginia.we'd come into contact with literally hundreds of dogs in A long weekend.and you might see A true HA dog,and A few biters.
nowadays,me personally,when I see A pit,I don't automatically think it's a biter,but I do ask or just stay back.
I've never seen it like it is now.people breed the box and pole off bitin dogs.
I've seen people advertise their dogs as HA and protection dogs.
not folks that work them as a security and protection dog,who's training them to go beyond the normal reach of the PB mentallity.but folks that are just poppin out git from straight up bulletheads.
I would say that in the last 10 yrs. I'd put down at least 1/2 of the dogs I've seen.and not all pits.
and its not that I'm just kill crazy.I know people with HA dogs and they manage them.like I said on another thread, their some folks that I know who've had 0 problems with their pits.cause they are pro every thing active.
food,keep housing,handling and people contact.
and why was the number so low years ago?because most were culled.
I've seen some good game dogs get their collar hung up for biting in keep or on/off chain.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hmm ok ;) Where can I find ACCURATE statistics? Is there a place on here somewhere?

And I love the poodle idea, but I don't think I'll get by with it, lol!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you think?

Ten Facts About Pit Bulls Every One Should Know
1. Pit Bulls are commonly used as therapy dogs. Whether they are visiting a senior care facility or helping someone recover from an emotional accident, Pit Bulls are making a mark as outstanding therapy dogs.
2. Pit Bulls are used in Search and Rescue work. One example of well known SAR Pit Bulls is Kris Crawford and her dogs. Kris and her dogs have helped save the lives of many people during their efforts. FOR PITS' SAKE // Where Heroes Are The Pits - founded by Kris Crawford
3. Pit Bulls serve as narcotic and bomb sniffing dogs. One Pit Bull, Popsicle (named that because he was found in an old freezer) has the largest recorded single drug find in Texas history. Read more about Popsicle here. Including how he found over 3,000 lbs of cocaine in Hildago, Texas.
4. Pit Bulls are great with kids. They weren't referred to as the "nanny's dog" for nothing that's for sure.
5. Pit Bulls are not human aggressive. The American Pit Bull Terrier as a breed is not human aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite is true of the breed. They are gentle and loving dogs. Like any dog individuals can be unsound and have behavior problems.
6. The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900's they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propoganda posters during this time period.
7. Sgt. Stubby. A Pit Bull war hero. Stubby was wounded in action twice, he saved his entire platoon by warning them of a poison gas attack and he single handedly captured a German spy.
8. Pete the Pup on the orginal Little Rascals was a Pit Bull.
9. Pit Bulls score an 83.4% passing rate with the American Temperament Test Society. That's better than the popular Border Collie (a breed who scores 79.6%). View the ATTS stats here.
10. They are dogs not killing machines.

·
Banned
666 Posts
type in pitbulls on a search engine. I have a lot saved and will find it for you later but right now I gotta get outside and get some work done on these days off of mine...bbl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts