Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all. I am not on here much but the times I have been its been helpful so here I am again. Ok here it is, we are pcsing to Fort Hood. Killeen and the surrounding areas Real Estate Agency's all have bans on any bully breed. I didn't know anything about the American Pit-bull Terrier when I got her, to be honest I really was one of those people who thought they were evil dogs who had brains that would swell and cause them to go mad. Yeah I know, I was dumb. So I didnt know that many places have bans on the breed. And now I am faced with a huge unsolvable problem it seems. I cant find a home for my family and I AM NOT giving up my dog. No way in Hades, I love her, she loves us and I took the responsibility so well shes not going a place. So my question is could she pass as any other breed? I know its deceitful and wrong that I am actually going to lie. I am 29 years old and my mother raised me well enough but I don't feel as if I have a choice. What else can I do, drop her at the shelter and hope that she finds a good home? I called several places and got hung up on three times when I asked if they would rent to a APBT owner, that is after I explained what that was. One place said maybe if I carried a Insurance policy on her in the amount of 75g! yes 75,000, maybe she was kidding I don't know but I just don't have that kind of money and am not even sure that can even be done. I was thinking of calling her a boxer lab mix....I looked at some photos online and I think she could pass but well I am desperate and I think I would think I could pass her off as anything to make me feel better, so I need objectivity. Please don't think badly of me, I am not a liar I just don't know what else to do. Thanks to all and have a great day. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi...cute dog...looks a bit like mine..., a 75k liability policy should be pretty inexpensive....if u haven't gotten a quote from an insurance agent...call one. It could be covered by an umbrella liability policy, that would also cover you for most accidents, etc, you'd be liable for under the law. The last time I had one, if I'm remembering correctly, it cost less than 100/yr for 250k. good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Unfortunately even if you could pass her off as something else verbally, most breed bans are based on visual identification so many dogs who likely have no pit in them at all can still fall under the breed ban "rules". :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you lol as I waited for a reply I looked around online about the insurance policy's, she said 75g and I guess my head spun a little fast. I found a lot of comments and such saying that many insurance companies have stopped giving coverage to owners of certain breeds but I will keep on looking. If all else does fail do you think she could pass as another breed? Man I should have done my homework about the breed before I let hubby out rule me lol I didnt want her to begin with and now I cant stand the thought of not having her. She is my little love dog just not so little lol thanks again!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
75g's of coverage not that you have to pay 75g's. Many places require you have extra coverage if you have a bully breed. For example I am leasing my property until I am ready to buy it and I am required to carry and extra 100,000 of coverage for the dogs. I actually pay for 500,000 of coverage and it costs me around $75 a month. If you found a place that will let you keep her ask how much your insurance policy has to be. Then call the insurance (home owners or renters) company and make sure they will insure you. Farmer's insurance is great for pit bull owners they do not care what breed you have but places like state farm will not cover you. Hope that helps clear up the insurance issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carriana, I heard about that I am just hoping that maybe i can pass her off to a realtor and just live our lives. I say shes a boxer mix show a carefully selected photo and then pull out my check book and pen maybe he/she will just say ok. Her ears are not clipped nor is her tail and most people (I have found) usually associate that with the breed. She is on the slender side and I have found that many people seem to think that all pit-bulls are these big muscled up dogs. Now that I have found I can afford a 75k policy and if I can find a company to insure me with her than I wont have to lie, but my mama always said a girl needs a backup plan. Im willing to do just about anything to keep her.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I passed off my black gamebred dog as a lab boxer mix for her lifetime. Even when registering my dogs with the city, I always give a different mix just in case. Most people don't have a clue as to what a real pitbull looks like. They think 75-100 pounds with cropped ears. You have natural ears and it's not bully looking so I think you're good to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yay, got a quote from usaa 100,000 in coverage will coast me 27 a month! Thanks again for all the suggestions and help, yall have a great night!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Zoes mom, all breeds, well most breeds are banned from even being on base at all, you would have to live off base to have her and if you said that I apologize. And I do know a place to go around such things, but the insurance is also a great way to go, if you cannot find anything please PM me and we can work out some details.

·
Registered
294 Posts
yay, got a quote from usaa 100,000 in coverage will coast me 27 a month! Thanks again for all the suggestions and help, yall have a great night!
i LOVE USAA! we've had them since 2002. they've always been there when we needed them & their people are so helpful.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I did one of those at home DNA dog tests

my results said

American Staffershire Terrior
German Shepherd
And Papillon

..... Needless to say I have zero faith in these tests now.

But I took it and photo shopped it to say he was a Bulldog/Lab (Bullador) mixed with a Weimer.

I didn't end up needing it as my current place is super dog friendly - a GSD mix, a Dobie mix, we had a Great Dane JoJo but he just passed last week unfortunately at the ripe age of 9.

Do they include bull terriers and bulldogs in the bully breed ban? You could say Lab / bull terrier or lab / something.

She sure is cute though and very sorry to hear about your turn of luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi i am actually 15 mins from there lol we had the same problem what we ended up doing was going to a new vet for a check up and saying our male was an american bulldog lol and on the vet reciept it says bulldog that was good enough for our landloard lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was beyond relieved when usaa said they had no problem with her being a APBT. I was so impressed I even opened a bank account with them. Our current bank is, eh lets just say they like their fees and I had been looking to change anyway lol. Anyway I sure do appreciate all the help. We don't fly until September and other than agency's their are private owners and we may just find one who doesn't care what kind of dog we have, but I did go ahead and get the policy on her. I feel so silly lol i was stressed out with a upcoming big move and then I was being told I couldn't have my lol When that woman said 75g I didn't even think that I wouldn't have to put that up i just heard seventy five thousand dollars and blew my top. apbtmom thank you. hopefully it will all be ok but its nice to know I have somebody who can help should all else fail. Means a lot guys, thanks for everything.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I hope it works out for you! I am in the same spot right now,only I have to find a place by the end of this month.*sigh*

·
Registered
901 Posts
When my vet saw Beastley he knew exactly what he was so he said to me....Ohio have BSL so tell me do you want me to register him as a Boxer mix or a Large breed mix this will avoid any ugliness.lol So now Beastley is a Boxer mix. Also Alstate will insure bullies. I have never had an issue with Beastley or landlords my issue was with my Bull Mastiff mix, I think it is because he weighs 130lbs lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know someone else trying to find housing in Killeen with a dog on 'the list'. Not a bully breed. I think they are going to have to rent a house because pretty much all the apts seem to have a generic list of dogs they won't take including bullies, rotties, huskies etc....

But there are dog friendly houses for rent - Craigslist or a dog friendly realtor would know. Good luck and make sure the a/c works

1 - 20 of 21 Posts