Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the beach with a couple of friends the other day and towards the end of the night, a younger couple came towards me and asked me if I wanted to a pitbull puppy.

They told me they no longer had time to take care of the dog and they were looking to give the dog away for "whatever you have". I managed to cough up 40 dollars and took the pup off their hands just because I didn't want the pup to go neglected.

The couple showed me some pictures of what the "parents" looked like... and they both looked like pitbulls to me. The pup obviously has no paperwork. Heck, I'm not even sure if she's purebred. I understand that I'm working at a disadvantage here but I'm willing to do my best to raise this puppy.

I'm going to get her vaccinated, tested for worms, and registered tomorrow and I'll be spaying her within 1-2 months. They told me she was around 3 months old but I'm not too sure. Can someone "eyeball" her and see if they were correct?

I'll post better pictures tomorrow. Sorry guys! Once again, thank you in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but 12 weeks might be about right. I know your heart was in the right place but I hope this wasn't someone's stolen dog that these people were offloading.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
good point ausstaffy, check out your local shelter and craigslist see if anyone is looking for a pup , but as far as what to do the vet is a very good place make sure shots are all up to date ect and worming , spaying in 2-3 months is also good gives you a bit incase someone is looking for a stolen dog and best to wait till about 6 month range to spay anyways. do alot of reading there are some great articles on here , you will want to pay attention to the articles on house training, socializing and i really recommend crate training.It would be beneficial to you and your new pup in the long run gives her a safe spot and a place she can go when you cant watch her so she doesnt get into harmful stuff or destroy your stuff lol. have you ever had a pup before let alone a pitbull pup? there are alot of people on here at all hours so any questions or problems come up just ask im sure someone can help. what did you name her? or is that a work in progress still? lol , and by the way Welcome to the forum .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was stolen pup at first but they couple did show me some pictures of the pup along with it's "parents". Once again, I'm only quoting cause we really can't know for sure. I'll go ahead and check craigslist to see if anyone had their pup stolen. I'm about an hour away from the beach I went to so it's a bit too late to do anything locally. We did walk around for a good hour after buying the pup to see if anyone had their puppy stolen... seems like she wasn't.

Btw, I named her Leah. She appears to be house-trained... she'll nip at you gently then whimper whenever she needs to go potty. She also knows the basic command "sit"... but she won't do it ALL the time.

This will be my second dog, however, she'll be my first pup. I'm willing to learn and do my best with raising this puppy. Thanks for the help. =]

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
i hope everything turns out good with her... your heart was in the right place :) cant wait to see more pics of her!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been reading up for a while on this site and I'm getting mixed results...

Some people say you SHOULDN'T let a dog get on the coach/your bed because this gives the dog dominance over the owner... but then I see some very well behaved pitbulls on this forum and they're on the coach in some pictures...

So is it okay or not?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I let mine but if i want them off all I have to do is tell them down and they listen , its up to you some dont like them on the couch but I personally love to snuggle in bed with my guys lol. If you make it so your the boss and its only when they are invited that works best. I dont see an issue unless the dog is showing aggression towards an item or if you try and remove them and they growl or something. there are other ways to show your dominence just in daily life , she will learn her place it doesnt have to be a 24hour thing making her be submissive and stuff they know who is boss.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It depends on YOUR preference. AS long as the puppy knows your in control of everything then it shouldn't be a problem. I simply don't let my dogs on the couch cuz the furniture wasn't cheap lol but when thery were puppies they were allowed too. And there was never any problems. They knew when to get off and on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Since she's still young, I guess I'll let her on the coach every once in a while.

On a sidenote, I can't believe how bad the stigma is with these dogs. I told my cousin I just picked up a pitbull puppy and I probably would have gotten a better reaction if I told him I just adopted Satan's child. It makes me sad because Leah is actually very sweet and much better behaved than most dogs I've seen.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
socialize her well and maybe he will come around when he sees how sweet and friendly she is. Its part of owning this breed your gonna have to brush comments off at times and decide when someone is willing to listen and educate them lol.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. Since she's still young, I guess I'll let her on the coach every once in a while.

On a sidenote, I can't believe how bad the stigma is with these dogs. I told my cousin I just picked up a pitbull puppy and I probably would have gotten a better reaction if I told him I just adopted Satan's child. It makes me sad because Leah is actually very sweet and much better behaved than most dogs I've seen.
The trick is not to give people a reason to say "I told you so". Get her training and obedience sorted out. Make sure she has manners around the house and most of all, love her. Then you won't have to try to convince people what good dogs they can be.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I let my dogs get on the furniture, as long as they have no problems getting off it when I tell them to go somewhere else. They're not allowed to sit up under me while I'm eating, though. That's when I expect them to either disappear or lay down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've run into a problem. She's figured out that if she whimpers long enough, she'll get what she wants... and I've been unconsciously giving her what she wants for about a few hours under the "you-would-do-that-with-a-3-month-old-child mentality"... and she's starting to take advantage of it.

So do I go about and just ignore her now...?

Also, as far as crate training goes, I've read the sticky but do I really have to let her "cry it out"?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
unfortunately yes, if they cry and you let her out she will realize thats what works and will continue too ,however I dont just stick them in the crate, I leave it open during the day put her in there but lay down there with her and pet her and play , add toys in there and make it part of play time , add a soft blanket I usually feed my pups inside the crate for awhile so they learn good things are associated with it and they become comfortable. but at night when its time to go to bed , i usually put mypups to bed a couple hours to a hour before I go so then im not trying to go to sleep with them crying. by the 2nd night or 3rd at most they start to get it and crying is at a minimum if at all. stick through it and be firm dont give in , will save you time in the end, they learn quick and if thy realize crying isnt working they will stop.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I've run into a problem. She's figured out that if she whimpers long enough, she'll get what she wants... and I've been unconsciously giving her what she wants for about a few hours under the "you-would-do-that-with-a-3-month-old-child mentality"... and she's starting to take advantage of it.

So do I go about and just ignore her now...?

Also, as far as crate training goes, I've read the sticky but do I really have to let her "cry it out"?
Yep. They're not stupid, mate. The more consistent you are early on, the easier your life (and hers) will be later. As much as I don't agree with a lot of what Cesar Milan says, there is one thing he is right about. Dogs aren't happy when they're in charge. She will be much happier when she knows her place in the house and you're calling the shots. Structure and routine. At this age, that's what it's all about.

Trust me, it gets a lot easier. She just has to learn that crying won't get her anywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took her on a short walk around the yard today and I've noticed... she's VERY stubborn. She'll just sit down and give me the look. I stare back sternly, say no, and proceed to lightly yank at the leash and she'll start moving again but it get's a little annoying. How do I fix this problem?

I put her in the cage today and she started crying like crazy... after she stopped and settled for a while, I got her attention and invited her out. (that's how i'm suppose to do it, right?) I'm not gonna keep her in the crate since it's her first time sleeping without a person next to her so I want to ease into it.

How do I declare dominance over her? She's extremely stubborn at times, and not only that, she's very manipulative when she wants to be.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I took her on a short walk around the yard today and I've noticed... she's VERY stubborn. She'll just sit down and give me the look. I stare back sternly, say no, and proceed to lightly yank at the leash and she'll start moving again but it get's a little annoying. How do I fix this problem?

I put her in the cage today and she started crying like crazy... after she stopped and settled for a while, I got her attention and invited her out. (that's how i'm suppose to do it, right?) I'm not gonna keep her in the crate since it's her first time sleeping without a person next to her so I want to ease into it.

How do I declare dominance over her? She's extremely stubborn at times, and not only that, she's very manipulative when she wants to be.
She's still very young. Dogs aren't like cars that you can just do one thing and fix them. You'll need some patience when you're working with a puppy.

The leash thing? The yank on the lead should be for a correction. I wouldn't use it to make her follow you. A better idea would be to use treats to reward her for following you. Obedience classes would help both of you with proper techniques for this.

The green and purple parts of your post are related. I'm not telling you what to do with your own dog in your own house because everyone is different. However, if you let your dog sleep with you as a puppy, she will probably take it as a sign that she is your equal. I would leave her overnight in the crate. It won't kill her. You might have one or two nights of her crying but it's worth it.

This is how we raised our two. One is now 6 years old and the other is 5 and a half. Very, very occasionally, we will allow them to sleep with us (for example, if we're sleeping with the A/C on in our room and the rest of the house is hot). The difference is that they are old enough to know that this is a priviledge and not a right.

Discipline does not = cruelty.

Edit: Better, JY?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just dont let it run the show full stop , re the couch, get the training good enough to be listened at all times then start inviting the dog up when it knows who is boss. Only small walks for now she is only little use this time to build that lifelong bond that you want to get respect and be the boss.
And be consistent, if the dog gets up when you are out the room or just without permission tell it to get off and dont let it back on until you say so, they will try every now and then to test the boundries just make sure your the boss.
They realy are the easiest breed to train in my opinion, with only a small stuborn streak and they only get more stuborn if you make them via your actions.

Good luck, and keep reading the site!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like I'll be crating her tonight. You guys are probably right. It's one thing to spoil a chihuahua but I definitely wouldn't want a 60lb pitbull bossing me around. That would be tragic.

I guess tough love is the name of the game. Thanks for the advice guys!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts