Go Pitbull Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I joined this forum, I had 2 dogs. My deformed Sibereian Husky, Dakota and my pit pup, Tyson. Now, about a year and a bit later- I have to say goodbye to one of my dogs.
There is nothing drastically wrong with either dog, but Tyson, being a pit has started displaying dominance and the beginning of what appears to be DA.
His reaction toward her may just be because she is about to go on heat: however, with her being dominant herself, they are not compatible.

I have started looking to rehome my Koda, and just feel so bad as it feels like I am giving up on her! Practically, I know this is what is best for her, especially when I see the families who want to love her and keep her safe: but I have never given up on any dog.

I guess I'm just getting to grips with the whole situation and am looking for a place to whine about it. We have 2 days left with her, and I am going to make the most of them.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I dont know , Im sorry for the dog here. But you have been here long enough to know about DA and how to manage it. many of use here have multiples and have a crate and rotate schedule we all do , This in my opinion is NO excuse to give up a dog who is settled in the family. He has done nothing wrong and then put an in heat dog in the situation and expect him to what? ignore it? cmon now I know you know better then this. If they aren't fixed the male will make a pain in the ass of himself for those couple weeks , whine, cry and if humping he should really just be kept seperate from her during that time anyways. This sounds like a cop out to me , why take in this breed if you were never prepared to deal with traits KNOWN to this breed? Poor poor dog , I feel so bad for him . He will be losing his family he loves and who he is bonded with for doing absolutely NOTHING wrong. I hope you find the perfect home for him , having only 2 days left? im assuming a family has been found or is he going to the shelter?

Reactions: ::::COACH::::

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I feel bad for anyone who has to chose between their dogs. I also agree and don't think its fair to the dogs to rehome just because they are doing what is a known trait of bull dogs. I am wondering why your deformed Husky isn't fixed? Not saying it WOULD make a difference but it COULD why are you not trying that along with crate and rotate before you rehome either of the dogs? Just curious, everyone makes their own decisions in life, of course, I am not trying to judge, I could never live in a crate and rotate I do not think which is why I have one dog. Hopefully your pup is going to a great home where they understand DA could happen.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
This makes me so sad. I really wish people would research this breed before getting one or addin a second dog to their home. So now your basically getting rid of the dog for displaying normal breed traits :( this is exactly why there are so many good dogs sitting in the shelter right now. If you truly love your dog as you say you do then get them crates and rotate them. It's not very hard to do, and as long as they are rotated and given individual attention and excercise you won't have any problems. You can also teach your dog the leave it command so you can walk them with out issues. There is a lot you can do to keep both dogs and have them both safe and happy. Re homing is just giving up and taking the easy way out.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I have 11 DA dogs.. You actually care for your dogs you make do...

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I have 11 DA dogs.. You actually care for your dogs you make do...
:goodpost:
Holly is absolutely right. I've been to her house and I can tell you non of her dogs are lacking love and attention. Even with 11 dogs she still gives each one individual attention and they are all very very happy dogs.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
...You failed your dogs by failing to acknowledge what you don't know and willingness to accept and learn what is front of you. This happens all the time due to ignorance and pride blocking ability to truly learn and comprehend whats at the end of the leash.. Mutt or not..

Just another example of why these hounds shouldn't be readily available to any body with lack of sense and cash.

Mine can BARELY be worked together.. Hell, some days its best to avoid. Housing, eating, sleeping, exercise, conditioning.. Solo.. Most Bulldogs in my past were similar, with an exception here and there.. You can either handle it or you can't..

Reactions: william williamson

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is my husky who will be rehomed. I get what you are saying, trust me I never thought it would come to this. I always thought when Ty was old enough to notice Koda was in heat, she would have already been spayed. I even called around for prices to spay her just this week. .
The dogs are outside so crate and rotate is not an option. We have a gate to close off a section of the yard- and I tried that too. Bottom line is this is not really in my hands. If it were, she would stay. This is so hard. There are 2 families that I have short- listed for rehoming, the one is a family were she would be the only dog, but around kids. And the other is with an older couple who live on a game reserve.
I am still hoping to call these people and tell them she is no longer available, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
It is my husky who will be rehomed. I get what you are saying, trust me I never thought it would come to this. I always thought when Ty was old enough to notice Koda was in heat, she would have already been spayed. I even called around for prices to spay her just this week. .
The dogs are outside so crate and rotate is not an option. We have a gate to close off a section of the yard- and I tried that too. Bottom line is this is not really in my hands. If it were, she would stay. This is so hard. There are 2 families that I have short- listed for rehoming, the one is a family were she would be the only dog, but around kids. And the other is with an older couple who live on a game reserve.
I am still hoping to call these people and tell them she is no longer available, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Your still missing the point..

However,,,, if you can't PROPERLY maintain and care for an animal in the MOST basic of sense by understanding what you feed and fitting within the lifestyle that follows.. Don't own dog..

Its not a right to own a dog it is a privilege.. You are abusing that privilege by making excuses and readily avoiding truth..

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
So, you got a puppy, then when issues come up between the dogs (a husky and a pit bull type, who would have thunk it???) you decide to rehome your older dog? You say they are outside so you can't separate them? They make these things called kennels.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
It doesn't matter which dog will be displaced.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KM, I have not missed the point. All of you guys- I get it. I have always looked up to all of you, valued your opinions and have never expected anything other than brutal honesty. I am aware that I have disappointed you, but if it were up to me- I would have her spayed tomorrow and the proper arrangements made asap.
I know that it is hard for you all to understand: I don't expect you too.
I guess I was just looking for a shoulder to cry on so to speak.

Thank you for your responses

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Is there a reason she wont or cant be spayed? even if you are placing her you should spay her BEFORE she leaves. You said she is deformed??? if so there are still people out there who breed deformed dogs look at Miagi LMAO, so Id atleast have her spayed before hand .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should add that if it were me just being an irresponsible owner, the last thing I would have done was post my intentions on here. I really do love my dogs and would never just pass them off cos I was tired or lazy or disinterested in dealing with the ups and downs. This has been a really tough couple of days and it only gets harder from here on out.
Nonetheless, I will keep hoping and praying for a miracle that would let me keep my Koda

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Why not just make some chain set ups or tie outs for them? Them being outside is no excuss. And how is this not up to you? You are the one making the choice to give up the dog. You can just as easily make the choice to separate the dogs.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Um, I frequently watch my family's husky and I own a malamute/chow mix. Yes they get along but I have worked and foster many DA dogs. Dogs that are DA are always coming in. We are going to be getting an APBT sometime soon as well as an English Bull Terrier and I KNOW crate and rotate is in the future!! When you commit to these dogs, you take them for what they are!
I really don't understand why you can't just crate and rotate....oh and spay the husky..

·
Registered
870 Posts
May be too late now, but in the future, meaning today, memorize this phrase:
Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
(You should have had or been able to get separate quarters for each.)

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
So.. they're outdoor dogs.. and you fail to see a way to separate them? The cheapest option would be a nice chain set up for both of them. Make sure they both have shade most of the day (especially the afternoon!), a big water source that is IMPOSSIBLE to spill, and a comfortable, insulated dog house. You probably already have at least one dog house, right? It is SO EASY to set up a proper chainspot.

I feel for your situation, but my sympathy is with the dogs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to say that I am disappointed by all the judgement.
No, this is not my decision. I didn't make it, and I don't like it. The only thing I could do was ensure that the people who get her will love her and not breed with her.
I do not take the easy way out and didn't start this thread by blaming anyone. I still won't pass the buck and turn on loved ones just cos you guys are giving me a hard time. You ALL missed the part that said "if it were up to me".
However, you may all still think me weak, but I ask you? Do you really think someone weak would still have answered and thanked everyone for their opinion. The chain set up is ideal as is the spaying. Both options I would have done.

I will bow out gracefully now, thank you for the year of learning you have offered. I wish you all good luck in all your endeavours.
I agree, "it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have." But what do I know right?

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Upon speaking personally with Jenna and getting a better understanding of the situation, I'm closing this thread. The best we can all do is try to be understanding and supportive of Jenna and her situation and leave it at that. Jenna, I wish you the best of luck with your situation and hope for a turn around very soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.