Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok i can wake up everyday my pup is almost 2 months old.

Potty training has been a pain in the ass, he isn't getting it that much but the crate has helped a lot and he does poop outside only. But the peeing he does it anywhere whenever it comes. Ive had to buy new carpets for my whole house :( lol but i still love him. I even got him peepee pads but i think he makes fun of me because he lays down on them uses hem as a cushion.

I wake up at 7 am and then take him outside every 3 hours until 10 pm is the last time I take him out after he eats and its goodnight time.

My questions

How many times a day should i feed him?
I leave the water there whenever he gets thirsty. Should i only let him drink when he eats?
I have a pretty big comfortable bed in his crate, He loves it! Should i take it out and just leave a carpet in there?

He bites A lot! and when he does it i tell him no and give him a toy to chew on but he loves hands and fingers! He has soo much energy i can't wait until i give him his shots this week when he turns 8 weeks old then I'm gonna take him on so many walks i hope he becomes quiet inside. But anyway when he bites me i tried spraying him with cold water, but he likes it he lickes it and wants more. One day i lost my temper a little and i slapped him and he ran from me went to his crate he was scared. That broke my heart :( so i wore to never hit him again and be patient, instead i rolled up a news paper and i gently smack him with that a little is that ok? I only do it when he wont stop biting and chews stuff around the house.
!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Don't waste your money on peepee pads anymore.They don't help.All they're basically doing is still teaching your pup to go in the house.
You already had one strike against you as far as house training your pup because you got him so young.So it's going to take him longer to pick up on things.
He's only 2 months old so you're going to have to take him out more than every 3 hrs to pee.I would be taking out every half hour to every hour.You have to remember how small his bladder still is so he cannot hold it too often.Plus you're letting him drink whenever he wants.
I would only offer water for him a few times a day.He doesn't need it all the time.
If you're unable to keep an eye on him for any given time then put him in his crate so he doesn't have any accidents.
Take him out after he eats or drinks anything and watch him while he's playing.As soon as he stops playing and starts sniffing around take him out.
Make sure you're giving him lots of praise after he uses the bathroom.

I feed my pups twice a day.For one that little you can feed 3 times a day.
You can leave the blanket in his crate if he loves it unless he starts chewing on it.Keep an eye on it.If he ingests it it can mess him up pretty good or kill him.

When he bites you give a firm loud NO if he knows what no means.Don't smack him with the newspaper ,all that's going to do is scare him.You can however smack your hand with the newspaper while telling him NO when doing something he's not supposed to be to help get your point across

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Don't waste your money on peepee pads anymore.They don't help.All they're basically doing is still teaching your pup to go in the house.
You already had one strike against you as far as house training your pup because you got him so young.So it's going to take him longer to pick up on things.
He's only 2 months old so you're going to have to take him out more than every 3 hrs to pee.I would be taking out every half hour to every hour.You have to remember how small his bladder still is so he cannot hold it too often.Plus you're letting him drink whenever he wants.
I would only offer water for him a few times a day.He doesn't need it all the time.
If you're unable to keep an eye on him for any given time then put him in his crate so he doesn't have any accidents.
Take him out after he eats or drinks anything and watch him while he's playing.As soon as he stops playing and starts sniffing around take him out.
Make sure you're giving him lots of praise after he uses the bathroom.

I feed my pups twice a day.For one that little you can feed 3 times a day.
You can leave the blanket in his crate if he loves it unless he starts chewing on it.Keep an eye on it.If he ingests it it can mess him up pretty good or kill him.

When he bites you give a firm loud NO if he knows what no means.Don't smack him with the newspaper ,all that's going to do is scare him.You can however smack your hand with the newspaper while telling him NO when doing something he's not supposed to be to help get your point across
:goodpost::goodpost: agree

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
:goodpost: dixie! You also need to get him enough hard or good chew toys that he is teething and needs a place to chimp down, hard without finding his own stuff. I lost a few controllers and wiimotes in my puppy stage, lol. Don't leave anything out that he wants to chew and make sure if he is out you give him something every time you catch him with something in his mouth wrong, give him the puppy kong and remind him thats what he should be chewing. Don;t make the mistake I did and gave my dog balled up old socks. He started going for all my socks, I felt stupid. My fault for leaving stuff out and thank goodness my boy wasn't a eater, he was a chewer. Other are not so lucky and have lost lots of stuff which is very dangerous.

No matter how aggravated you are you need to walk away instead of reacting badly towards him. He is still learning and now is the best time to train him. When he is crazy and nipping around, Every time he nips at you or is acting too crazy, make an exaggerated OUCH like it was the worst pain in the world and hold you hand and stop play for a minute until he is calm again. Keep playing but each time he nips you, make him realize it hurts, play stops and he will get it eventually. But he does need something to bite, like I said :) Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get some freeze dried liver when he goes to the bathroom out side. He'll start to associate the praise and the treat with peeing/pooping in the right spot. Ypu also can teach him to tell you when he need to go outside. I hung s string of bells on my sliding patio door. Everytime i take jas outside i have her sit at the bells then take her paw and jungle the bell and tell her outside. She getting the idea. She rang the bell for the first time last night. Your pup is still too young, but something to consider when he's older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts