Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girlfriend has been wanting a pit for quite some time and im thinkin about gettin her one but i dont want to go broke tryin to buy one... so i was wonderin where i could maybe get one without payin a whole lotta dough which i dont have right now... so if you have any suggestions please please let know thanks...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
rescue , alot of bullys , pitbulls, sitting in shelters right now , best way to save some money and help a dog who needs a helping hand :)

Reactions: aus_staffy

·
Registered
776 Posts
check out the rescues , some are fairly affordable and youd be saving a life.
I wouldnt recommend going to a backyard breeder . minus the rescue , you pretty much get what you pay for .. as long as you do your research that is.
APBT can be a handful and a proven temperment is a huge plus and or gettin a dog bred for what you plan to do with it . If your just lookin for a pet , thousands of shelter / rescue dogs are begging you to take them home and save them from sure death. You get a pet and do a good thing all at the same time ! If your apprehensive about shelter / rescue dogs , im sure there are a vast amount of members here that can ease your mind. I honestly wish i woulda got my 1st one from a rescue. Also , make sure you all are ready for what owning a apbt means.. its a lot of work some times .

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Dogs are not cheap to take care of, there's no such thing as a "free puppy." If you're that broke, it might be worth waiting to get a dog.
Agreed! But if the initial cost of a pup is the only setback, go with the above posts and check out shelters. Many pit types in there needing loving homes that don't get a fair shake.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Are you looking at an APBT or an AM.Bully? Some Am.Bullies are in the thousands of dolars if that is what you see for prices then I would want something a bit more reasonable too. Shelters are a great place to check pitbulls. Has your girlfriend had pits before have you? Are you guys perpared for raising a dog of this caliber? These dogs require a certain type of owner. Please read around the forum ask questions and then decide if this is the breed for you.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
All great responses. I agree with all of the above posts especially with those who are saying that dogs aren't cheap over the course of their lives.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Make sure that your Girlfriend can afford a dog. If you rescue for a shelter,your dog is most likely going to have kennel cough,or something similar.
I adopted Bruno for $50,and his vet bill was well over $100 when I took him in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The folks before me said it all very well. Another thing to look at is your living situation. If you rent, and have a history of moving, will you be able to take your dog with you to a new place- really- really think on this. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but there are many places that won't rent to folks that have apbt or there like.
Good luck on your decision! They are great companions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would suggest a rescue. Possibly even and older dog a year or more unless you are ready for a puppy, puppy's are a LOT of work.

But what you really need to ask is Why you want a dog and more importantly why you want an APBT. These dogs need a LOT of exercise and attention. They are not for everybody. Another thing is is there any type of BSL where you live and if it is in an apartment do they allow dogs specifically Pit bulls.

Way too many people just go get a Pit bull and don't understand what it take to safely raise one. Be informed don't rush it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i already own a pit... this one isnt staying at my house... im just not wanting to spend 600 dollars on a pup... its going to her house and i know they can take care of it, thats not the problem i just to want to spend every dime i have if you get where im comin from

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i guess that first post came off weird... its not that we dont have the money... its a "surprise" for her and i didnt really want to buy from a breeder because of the initial cost of gettin the pup...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Buying from a back yard breeder something just cheap and fast and easy is a good way to give her surprise heartbreak. The cost reflects the care the puppies have received and their quality. A cheap puppy could cost a lot in vet bills since the cheap puppies won't have good care. Most likely no shots or wormings, etc, etc. It's even possible for a random cheap puppy to have contracted a fatal disease like parvo before you even bring it home. That costs a whole lot more then $600 to treat.

If you buy from a good breeder you will know they have had the best care as humanely possible. $600 is not a lot for a quality dog. My dogs were $1,200 for Twilight and $2,000 for Clyde. So if you get a quality dog for $600 then you are getting a great deal. The initial cost equals less cost down the road.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
^ Agreed.

I got Kane from a BYB for $50. He wasn't wormed, didn't have his first shots, had fleas on him.

It cost me well over $600 to get him to where he should be on worming and shots, and to get rid of the fleas, etc, etc.

·
Registered
901 Posts
WOW I must of lucked out! Someone dropped Beastley off at my doorstep asking us to doggy sit him for 2 weeks, they even gave us a crate and 50lbs of food. (shoulda known what was going to happen.) They never returned. My vet charged me $50 for his shots and $25 for a license. I ended up with a well behaved and energetic dog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Make sure that your Girlfriend can afford a dog. If you rescue for a shelter,your dog is most likely going to have kennel cough,or something similar.
I adopted Bruno for $50,and his vet bill was well over $100 when I took him in.
:goodpost:

Make sure to take them into a vet asap, our Mama dog has skin allergies which we weren't told about, even if we were we still would of gotten her. Make sure to find out which vet they took the dog to, that way you can get a history on what issues if any they have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.