Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all... im new 2 the site... i have a 10 month old 1/2 red 1/2 blue nose named Ruckus... he has been a great dog up until a few days ago... he usually sleeps with me... and last night i got up in the middle of the night... when i came back 2 bed he was sprawled out on the bed... so i moved his legs so that i could lay myself down... he immediately growled at me.... so i kicked him outta my room... he has been growling at me all day today since then... everytime i get close... or i go to pet him... im not worried... but honestly a bit concerned about this behaviour... what do i do to snap him out of it?... i try being gentle and i try being assertive... he has never bit me.... but recently * about a week ago * killed a rabbit that was in the back yard... could that have awoken some primal instinct in him or something?... i want my baby back to the way he was... :(

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Welcome to GP :D killing a rabbit has nothing to do with it.. there is no primal instinct that is goin to make him growl at you cause he killed a rabbit.

FYI.. the color of the nose has nothing to do with what type of dog he is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he looks exactly like tonka... same face anyways... and build... and to reddog i was thinking that aswell... but not really sure how to tell... he wont even let me put his mussel on to take him for runs... he growls and dosent stop until its removed... he also stopped obeying commands at times... he will do some then stop and just walk away...

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I agree, I would have a vet check him out if its new behavior, something could be wrong and he doesn't know how else to tell you. I would also like to see this purple nose pit when you have time to post ;)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
he cant be half red nose half blue nose lol he is one or the other.

As for the growling I agree to get him checked by the vet . However seeing as he is 10 months old thats around the time they start to mature and hormones start. He could be testing you and may not see you as alpha enough , in that case I would make him earn everything , food, toys , dont let him on the furniture unless YOU allow and invite him up. You may want to crate train if you havent and while in the home with him use a leash that way it's easier to correct if he steps out of line. Will take a bit of work on your part but I'd want to nip this in the butt.

The other option is he was the product of a BYB'r who didnt pay attention to temperment and genetics and this is just the start of a bad temperment which could start showing now with the hormones coming into play. Did you buy him from a breeder? or adopt? did you happen to have met his parents .

I would say if you arent sure on how to correct this behaviour or if things get worse you may want to look into a local trainer who has experience with this breed and work hands on with them. I wouldnt count growling as aggressive its more back talking or warnings but you deffinately dont want that escalating to anything more.

Reactions: redog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey ames... i did change my display pic... best i could do... i tried to upload pics in a folder and my screen kept going white... sorry... and he is mostly red nosed... but does have blue going around it... *angel i adopted... never got to meet either parent.... i got him at 3 1/2 months old... he acts fine with my mother... growls a bit but in a more playful manner... just with me he has started this with... and its only recent... ill be more stern with him... also try to get him checked out tomorrow... see if theres anything bugging him...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
He looks chocolate in color, and his nose is red, with a darker red/chocolate coloring around the rim of his nose.

As was stated above, take him to the vet and make sure he's healthy, no issues anywhere. I would say his behavior as of recently is the rebellious teenager stage that all dogs go through. He's testing the boundaries, and you're affirming his thoughts that he can be alpha over you by giving in to him and not giving a good, stern correction when he growls at you. If you don't already have one, you need to invest in a pinch/prong collar (just my opinion), and keep that and a leash on him when under supervision and each time he growls, give a swift pop/tug with the leash and correct him, accompanied by a firm NO! You've got to break him of that habit now. If you don't feel confident you can handle this by yourself, then seek a professional trainer, preferably one with experience in Bully Breeds, and go from there. Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated on his status/progress.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
hey ames... i did change my display pic... best i could do... i tried to upload pics in a folder and my screen kept going white... sorry... and he is mostly red nosed... but does have blue going around it... *angel i adopted... never got to meet either parent.... i got him at 3 1/2 months old... he acts fine with my mother... growls a bit but in a more playful manner... just with me he has started this with... and its only recent... ill be more stern with him... also try to get him checked out tomorrow... see if theres anything bugging him...
The color of the nose has nothing to do with anything except the nose color.. The fact you adopted, you have no idea genetically whats in him.. He could be Bulldog, American Bully, American Staffordshire Terrier, a mix of any of those or none of those.. Theres zero way of knowing what you have without the proper (and reliable) source of documents through an actual breeder..

With that said, the growling can be a number of things.. Injury, lack of control/dominance from you, genetics.. Could be a genetic factor such as human aggression beginning to show that was passed down through the parents..

If he doesn't act hurt my money is on either genetics or lack of control thus he feels you are beginning to challenge his rank as leader due to the lack of leadership you have offered..

Is there anything else going on you may be overlooking? If there is more than one behavior issue going on it may be easier to pin point the problem.

You also have to remember at 10 months he is becoming more of an adult dog in both physically and mentally.. Of course, not fully matured until about 2 of age depending on the potential breed or breeds he may be.. Some mature faster others mature slower.. HOWEVER, generally at around 10 - 1 years old is when you begin the transitioning from pup to adult.. Especially mentally.

Another potential is stress related due to insufficient exercise.. I've trained quite a few dogs in the past where much of their behavior issues, I.E growling, tearing up toys, excessive chewing, excessive barking, nipping, pacing, etc... Were all virtually corrected once a proper diet and sufficient amount of exercise was achieved.. This is just a potential possibility as all i've mentioned as i'm going by very little information and not seeing the behavior in person, it makes it a bit more difficult to say without a doubt unless its extremely black and white..

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Also, what type of training has been achieved thus far? Do you use any particular training tools, if so what? (i.e clicker, choke, prong) What is the success rate of training and if you use any type of tool like a training collar, how does he react to corrections?

If not, when giving your commands, what is his reaction typically? Does it take several times to correct or does a firm "AAT", for instance, correct him?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I agree with lady pit I would call that a chocolate red nose but its just a color doesnt mean anything more then that. Handsome boy you have.

I would disagree with the prong collar I think alot of people mis use them , but to each there own. I use a normal Q choker or the martingale works well too. If you get a prong make sure someone who knows how to use it shows you , majority dont have them fitted right or using it right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i actually started him on a pronged collar... walking him has never been an issue... he stays by my side... he does bully around the yorkie my moms boyfriend has... and also jumps up when ppl come into the house... when im home i put him in the corner until people are fully inside... then i let him say hello... and hes good with that... but when im not home he jumps...and havent been able to stop that as of yet... his training is kinda slack... because i work 12 hour night shifts... but in the afternoons i usually take him for a run... plus he has alot of space in the back to run in... he actually just came up to me as im writting this wanting attention... if i give it to him does that mean he wins?...

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I agree with lady pit I would call that a chocolate red nose but its just a color doesnt mean anything more then that. Handsome boy you have.

I would disagree with the prong collar I think alot of people mis use them , but to each there own. I use a normal Q choker or the martingale works well too. If you get a prong make sure someone who knows how to use it shows you , majority dont have them fitted right or using it right.
I haven't recommended anything yet, asking to find out what if anything he does use to further assess the situation.. ;)

Though i will say with my own experience (and research) prongs are far more safer and effective so long as used correctly.. Though it can be said anything training wise can be safe and effective so long as used properly, I have found far more cases that support my reasoning in saying choke collars, among the varieties, are far more of a risk to the trachea than prong collars..

Of course, prongs should not be used on a soft dog as counter productive and risk of breaking the dog..

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
i actually started him on a pronged collar... walking him has never been an issue... he stays by my side... he does bully around the yorkie my moms boyfriend has... and also jumps up when ppl come into the house... when im home i put him in the corner until people are fully inside... then i let him say hello... and hes good with that... but when im not home he jumps...and havent been able to stop that as of yet... his training is kinda slack... because i work 12 hour night shifts... but in the afternoons i usually take him for a run... plus he has alot of space in the back to run in... he actually just came up to me as im writting this wanting attention... if i give it to him does that mean he wins?...
Leerburg Dog Training | How to Fit a Prong Collar this is a good link with pictures and information regarding how to properly fit and use a prong collar.. Also, you want to be sure you don't give him slack when walking with a prong collar as pulling can create unneeded stress on the trachea as well as counter productive.. The object and over all goal should be to eventually rarely use the prong collar or not at all..

Also, be sure you only use it 1 - 2 hours at a time, do not leave it on him as the risk of getting snagged against an object and causing serious pain/damage is high..

How does he respond to it thus far? Positive, negative? Does he challenge your authority on/off the prong or for the most part responsive??

Although you work long shifts it will be about consistency, you can use all types of methods but if not training correctly you are simply quick fixing what will become larger, potentially more dangerous issues..

Bulldogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, mixes there of are typically dog aggressive and have fairly high prey drive.. Not all, you do have your exceptions but rarely with these dogs.. It is genetic, not a factor of which training can resolve.. Don't believe what you hear on tv or the un educated, of all my years i've never fed a hound that could be trusted with other dogs, most wanted the fight if i would let them..

Bottom line is these dogs are not meant for other k9 interaction, socialized as pups and thats that.. Sound, solid, even temperaments.. However DA is instilled heavily..

Running is great however it typically is not enough exercise for a Bulldog OR types of energetic dogs.. Flirt pole, spring pole, swimming, fetch, tug of war, weight pulling, etc.. These are suited exercises for these types of dogs.. Nothing wrong with hand walking, jogging and running but your only exercising specific muscles and not all of them.. Plus, typically, one type of exercise alone is not enough to fully wear out a dog.. Variety is..

I think in your case Nothing In Life Is Free training would help as well.. Making them work, in essence for their food, attention and love is natural as well as rewarding to both handler and dog.. There is a thread on it here some where I or someone else can post..

Also, does he have a good bit of prey drive or workability? Since you don't know where he came from, have a vet give him a clean bill of health, checking on hips, etc.. If can be worked, Bulldogs make some excellent catch dogs if you are willing..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was thinking about getting him a harness to pull... give him the extra exercise he may need... i give him love when he obeys... when he dosent i dont yell... but im stern with him... my mom n her bf yell at him all the time... for stupid reasons... it bugs the hell outta me but i cant do anything about it... will be moving in a month or so... u think that would help the situation or make it worse... the move i mean... changing his environment and all...

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
i was thinking about getting him a harness to pull... give him the extra exercise he may need... i give him love when he obeys... when he dosent i dont yell... but im stern with him... my mom n her bf yell at him all the time... for stupid reasons... it bugs the hell outta me but i cant do anything about it... will be moving in a month or so... u think that would help the situation or make it worse... the move i mean... changing his environment and all...
It depends, all dogs are different... So long as the bond with you is close it may have no effect at all.. However, training will be a major priority in a new environment to ensure you have control.. Create training will also be extremely important if he sleeps inside and not a outside dog.. New house means you must re-establish boundaries and rules.. Wouldn't take long if already house broken, but it will need to be done..

Yelling does nothing but aggravate the situation.. All dogs will react differently but never actually fixes a issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he plays frequently with a mastiff/rottie... pretty agressive with eachother... but they dont bite hard... and when we tell them to chill they do it... he responded good to the pronged collar... tho i havent used it in a couple months... i switched to a muzzle that the leash attatches itself to by the nose... for head control... hes pretty good with it... i play tug o war with em all the time... make him jump to grab his end of the rope outta my hand... hes not that agressive with the yorkie... but he shows signs... once and awhile he bats her around... and has also started to nip... i need to be firm with him before he stops... hes chilling with me right now actually... watching me type lol... in a better mood i guess... maybe he was just mad @ me for kicking him outta my room last night?...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also... i cant crate him... that got me kicked outta my last apartment... which is why im back home... he cries... literally cries for hours and hours until released... iv tried putting a blanket over top so that he cant see out... i have thrown a tshirt of mine in there so he has my scent... iv also tried treats... they calm him down for about 10 minutes then hes back at it... he dosent chew furniture... and he is potty trained... so i let him roam the house...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts