Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so I still live with my parents... I want to get a pitbull. I actually have one in mind. I would be getting him from a friend. He is about 7 -8 months old. I have read and studied about them. The problem is i cannot convince my parents to allow me to get him (goliath). There is some history with pits in my family that has them a tainted name in my parents eyes.

I plan to move out if they don't allow me to get him.. but easier said than done. I'm thinking i might have trouble getting a place with a pit. Any ideas? I will post a pic when I get on my computer.

Thanks guys and gals.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Are you over 18? Or 21? I mean it is still your parents house and you need to respect there wishes. I'm sure you don't pay the mortgage right? ;) my parents told me at one point to never bring the breed home when I was a teen but I'm well over 30 and own a two family with them so they really couldn't say much now and my parents are in total love with my girl/breed :) I would do as your parents wish and get one when you are on your own. Yeah, you could just bring him home but if they are that adimant about you not keeping him then what? The animal shelter he goes.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I think you should take a step back and think about what kind of life this dog would have if he came with you.

You bring him home against your parents wishes and they (rightfully, since it is their house) kick you out. Where do you have to go that would take you AND a dog, let alone a pit bull. The logistics of it is hard; you probably won't be able to crash on a friend's couch because of your new dog. Trying to get an apartment/house to rent with no credit and a young pit bull will be very hard (and yes, it might as well be impossible to find a place that allows dogs, let alone a pit bull--there are 2, maybe 3 in my area, and I live in a suburb of a city of 100,000+).

Do you have a car? You might have to live out of your car ... how is your dog going to get his exercise? I've lived out of my car with my boy Kane for (luckily only) a week. It's cramped and awkward, he was constantly breathing in my face and smelling the car up with his doggy breath and farts, and I had to figure out how to exercise him and where to take him for potty breaks. HE was unhappy with being unable to fully stretch out and play.

How are you going to afford everything? Now that you're on your own, you have to pay for EVERYTHING on your own--that means paying for everything YOU need as well as your dog. I'd sit down and write a list of everything you'd have to pay for on a monthly basis (gas for your car, cell phone bill, etc, down to the basics like food, soap/shampoo, etc).

What are you going to do if this becomes too hard (nothing against you)? What will happen to the dog? Will your friend take him back (and even if he says he will now, it doesn't mean he will in the future)? Your dog will most likely end up in the shelter, where he will also likely be put down.

It IS possible to change your parent's opinion's regarding pit bulls (my own dog has done this), but it's NOT by bringing one home against their wishes.

Please do not get this dog. You aren't ready for it, at least financially speaking. It's not fair to you OR the dog.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
I'm going to side with everyone else, unless you own the home with your parents and are paying the mortgage. If not, you are in a very unstable position to be bringing a dog home, especially if you plan on moving out any time in the next 10-12 years. Having a dog of any breed makes it hard to rent, and you're likely not going to be able to own your own home for a while. Unless you get the ok from your parents, and they agree to possibly having to keep the dog for you in the future while you find your way in the world, I would scrap the idea of getting this pup. He's cute and all.. but it just doesn't seem like the right time for you.

Also, if you want to convince them a little easier, tell them this pup is NOT an American Pit Bull Terrier. He is an American Bully, and they have been bred away from the American Pit Bull Terrier standard to be "better pets." There is a whole bunch of information about Am Bullies online. You can check out their registry @ http://theabkcdogs.org/ :)

While you wait for a good time, maybe you could volunteer at your local shelter, and help care for and train dogs in need. :) Not the same as having your own, but you could get your dog and puppy fix, and help out your community!

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
dont get the dog. I would hate to see that dog go to the pound because you could not take care of it due to living situations.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
honestly a dog takes alot of commitment especially this breed with all the hate it comes with. every ones gonna discriminate. most apartments arent gonna allow dogs over 20 or 25 lbs then if the do allow over that theres usually something saying no pitbulls which they use as a general term. if you lived in portland oregon which i kinda doubt you do id give you a cheap place to go check out. if you do decide to move you need to make sure that your not in or moving into a city with a breed specific ban. and if you are you need to know what breeds are banned ie if its just am staff and abpts in that case your american bully would be fine in theory if you dont have papers for it well sorry charlie the only thing that might save you is your vet files sayin he is a bully, other citys have Pitbull or pit style dog bans. you also need to take into account vet bills, like k8nkane said "gas for your car, cell phone bill, etc, down to the basics like food, soap/shampoo, etc" then you got dog food do you want it to eat cheap food that may or may not contain the proper nutrients for the dog or do you want decent kibble wich will run you still about 30-40 a bag. then your dog license just for good measure, and possibly flea treatments. then your gonna need to get him fixed.

so you've heard every ones financial statements.

lets go on to the physical time consuming things

if your not gonna give your dog flea treatment you need to comb your dog for fleas often some dogs are actually allergic to fleas. you gotta walk him and play with him every day or he gets restless and wont let you sleep at night. you gotta pick up his stinky :poop: which in the first week he might get diarrhea from the food switch. you'll need to train him.

now heres some stuff for home

you'll need to full proof your yard so he cant escape, if he does and bites some one or some ones dog its over and you lose entire investment. if he gets out and gets hit by a car either your paying outta pocket to the vet for what ever needs to be done surgery pain meds anything the vet says, or once again you lose your investment. my moms minature poodle got out and got hit by a car and broke his hip unfortunately things like this happen and i owe it to you to be honest. you need to make sure theres nothing that he can get into or chew on that will make him get sick or hurt.

please think this through before you make a decision a dog of this kind may not be the best choice for you right now or maybe any dog might not be the best choice for you. alot of work goes into raising a k9 friend. i'd hate to see this little guy end up in a shelter and im 100 percent sure that no one else here would like to see that either. Please be responsible it'll save you alot of heart break in the future

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Also, if you want to convince them a little easier, tell them this pup is NOT an American Pit Bull Terrier. He is an American Bully, and they have been bred away from the American Pit Bull Terrier standard to be "better pets."
I disagree with doing this. Even though he is technically not an APBT, he IS a "pit bull" (talking about the type here), and I've found that most of the people I've met think of American Bullies as what APBTs are supposed to look like.

Also, it skeeves me to think of unnecessarily slandering the APBT in his parent's eyes because than that's two more people in the world who aren't aware of how great APBTs are. They ARE great family pets and I can't stand the thought of anyone being led to believe otherwise through purposeful misinformation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
honestly a dog takes alot of commitment especially this breed with all the hate it comes with. every ones gonna discriminate. most apartments arent gonna allow dogs over 20 or 25 lbs then if the do allow over that theres usually something saying no pitbulls which they use as a general term. if you lived in portland oregon which i kinda doubt you do id give you a cheap place to go check out. if you do decide to move you need to make sure that your not in or moving into a city with a breed specific ban. and if you are you need to know what breeds are banned ie if its just am staff and abpts in that case your american bully would be fine in theory if you dont have papers for it well sorry charlie the only thing that might save you is your vet files sayin he is a bully, other citys have Pitbull or pit style dog bans. you also need to take into account vet bills, like k8nkane said "gas for your car, cell phone bill, etc, down to the basics like food, soap/shampoo, etc" then you got dog food do you want it to eat cheap food that may or may not contain the proper nutrients for the dog or do you want decent kibble wich will run you still about 30-40 a bag. then your dog license just for good measure, and possibly flea treatments. then your gonna need to get him fixed.

so you've heard every ones financial statements.

lets go on to the physical time consuming things

if your not gonna give your dog flea treatment you need to comb your dog for fleas often some dogs are actually allergic to fleas. you gotta walk him and play with him every day or he gets restless and wont let you sleep at night. you gotta pick up his stinky :poop: which in the first week he might get diarrhea from the food switch. you'll need to train him.

now heres some stuff for home

you'll need to full proof your yard so he cant escape, if he does and bites some one or some ones dog its over and you lose entire investment. if he gets out and gets hit by a car either your paying outta pocket to the vet for what ever needs to be done surgery pain meds anything the vet says, or once again you lose your investment. my moms minature poodle got out and got hit by a car and broke his hip unfortunately things like this happen and i owe it to you to be honest. you need to make sure theres nothing that he can get into or chew on that will make him get sick or hurt.

please think this through before you make a decision a dog of this kind may not be the best choice for you right now or maybe any dog might not be the best choice for you. alot of work goes into raising a k9 friend. i'd hate to see this little guy end up in a shelter and im 100 percent sure that no one else here would like to see that either. Please be responsible it'll save you alot of heart break in the future
I agree 100% it sounds like you are rushing with this. You can't rush moving out & you can't rush getting a dog; of any kind. When me & my fiance got our first place it took about 4 months because we needed to find a place that would accept we've never rented before. The a couple months after living in our place we decided we were ready to get a dog. First we needed approval from the apartment, then from the pet store, we got both. Thus getting Chanel our Pomeranian. Now we have our own condo. We had to get approved yet again for another dog, it took about 2 months to prepare. Not just in finding a dog, but we wanted to have things pre purchased like a bed, crate, etc. Which can & will run you $300+. . We ended up being blessed with our little rescue at 4 weeks of age Dai Ca. But we weren't fully prepared for a puppy so young. Now everything is good after a week. BUT we are financially stable, very stable. With rent, or a mortgage, condo fees if you're in a condo, H&W&E depending on where you live (house $300+) (condo $100+) then of course your other bills, groceries, dog food, ours runs us about $2,000 -$2,500 a month but that includes: mortgage, H&W&E, 2 cell phone bills, tv&internet, Chanel's monthly owing, groceries, dog food & a few misc bills. That doesn't include the unexpected. Which could be vet bills. Here it costs $75 just for the visit, then you add the medicine, when you walk out it's about $120+ depending. To have your dog neutered, it cost us about $350 . Today Chanel went in for a 24hr IV because she got sick from eating her denter bone all in one sitting. Who knew. We didn't. So now her unexpected visit cost us $200+ depending on what they do (blood work, xray, stool sample, etc) & last week she was just there for a check up to make sure she was healthy enough to be around our Dai Ca who doesn't have his vaccines yet. THEN there is obedience class for your dog. Up here its $165 after tax for 1hr a day for 6 weeks. We are doing this 2x because we want him in classes with all breeds then with just Pit Bulls. That's $330 ... I don't work, I am very lucky that my fiance has a very good paying job. Do YOU have a good paying job? Did you know that Insurance can run you $100 per month because you will have a Restricted Dog. Here that's how much it costs because we have to have a $1 Million Liability then we have to Register him after 6 months of age. Any normal dog would cost $75 per year while Restricted Dogs cost $246 per year.

Do yourself a favor. Add all these numbers up for yourself. Then ask yourself if you can even afford to have this breed at this time in your life. Whether it be on your own or even at your parents. Because if you can't afford it. Then there is no way you could afford to even exercise him, take care of his health & well being.

Save your money. Pre plan. When you CAN afford to live on your own, budget your monthly costs, have room for the unexpected (that's what dog insurance helps with as well) find a place that will allow this dog. Once you have EVERYTHING planned to the T. Then by all means get yourself an APBT.

Respect your parents. Respect the dog. Don't get him. Take your time.

EDIT: So Chanel & Dai Ca are both good now :) We paid $630 for 2 stool samples, 3 x - rays, 2 medications, 2 vet visit fees & Dai Ca's first set of vaccines. But it's all worth it. For their health. Something you have to be prepared for.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Yes, if you don't plan on buying your own home then you will probably have a huge problem finding a place to live. If your parents don't want you to get one and they pay the mortgage then you should wait until you can find your own place as that is the responsible thing to do. Owning a dog of any breed is very expensive. Over the last 7 years I have spent close to $20,000 and they are just pets not even show dogs. Also, I don't like to generalize any dog, but the dog in the picture looks like an Am Bully, not an APBT, but I would have to look at a ped to know for sure. Please do not get a dog without your parents okaying it, especially if you have no other place to live. Too many dogs end up in shelters because of actions like that. Good luck. Cute pup BTW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your kind advice everyone. Up to right all roads lead to a no. :( but I guess thats how it is if you live with your parents... I will still think about this but will not take any decisions. I will evaluate my situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts