Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My name is Kristi,, 3 months ago I bought a 4 month old what I was told was a blue nose pitt-- I have to say BEAUTIFUL pup,, he looks like a seal to me,, anyway, he got really sick within a week of having him, spent 7 days at the hospital on IV's -- made a great recovery,, he is not neutered and is now 7 months old, and growing like a weed, I have multiple dogs in the house, mostly small breeds and he does fine with these dogs- However, when my friends come over with their dogs, he has gotten really aggressive the last two times- So far he is just snapping at the other dogs, mostly in their face,, last night however, he actually got a hold of one of their ears, and wouldn't let go-- I am not sure how to correct this behavior since it seems to have come out of the blue, no warning at all- he gives mixed signals, tail wagging head erect ,, ect ,, does not show any sign of aggression then out of the blue snaps at them -- I am not sure how or what to do-- any helpers out there?? He knows sit , stay, come, I taught him voice and hand commands, but when he shows aggression , he seems to not listen to anything, :(:(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Well , what the breeder of your blue nose { just FYI that is only a color and if he looks seal then he isnt a blue nose} failed to tell you is this breed is KNOWN to be DA { dog aggressive} this typicall will kick in a little before a year to anywhere to 2 years typical but really can be anytime earlier or later even. You can DA which is selective to a certain sex or maybe just the odd dog to severe DA where they dont like ANY other dogs.
With multiples in the home have you crate trained them at all? If not I would HIGHLY suggest getting crates and crate training now. When you leave your home I would not leave him out with any of your other dogs, small things like a toy or rough play getting out of control can trigger fights.
If your friends bring there dogs over I would seperate them since you already know what he can do and no need to set him up to fail again. { if was my house, I dont crate my dogs for other peoples dogs to come over , other people can leave there dog at home. This is my dogs home no theres}. but thats your call at your home.
You can get a trainer or work on correcting this so that it doesnt become an issue while walking your dog past other dog, work more on obedience and getting his attention. But as far as trusting him to get along with other dogs I wouldnt do that, never trust this breed not to fight. Even if its another dog who starts it ours will always be blamed due to the breed. Dont set him up to fail. If you want more info on dog aggression use the search bar at the top of the page and type in DA or dog aggression, tons of threads on this topic.

Reactions: ThaLadyPit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not crate my dogs,, I know I should,, I do however put them in "their" prospective rooms when I leave.. Ruger ( my pitt) has the front room,, my ( now dont laugh) chihuahuas have my bedroom,, so most of the time except at night they are separated - My male chi,, HATES Ruger,, and growls all the time at him,, Ruger however cowers like a whipped dog,, he has never tried to be aggressive back, and I know that is just a matter of time-- Do you think cutting him would help -- I know now we can NOT have other dogs here,, and that makes me quite sad,, because I have been known to take in strays and help find them homes,, and that will have to stop -- I really wish I knew what type of training could help this problem,, I dont know how to post a pic of him for you all to see his color,, wish I did,, to me he does not look blue at all even though his mother was blue,, his father looked seal

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
for posting pics, load them to a site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and copy the "IMG" code from there and paste it here. Make sure to resize the pic to 600x or smaller.

You can still take in rescues or strays I do it all the time, as well I have dogs here who cant be together ever and we work around it with crate and rotating. I would seriously consider crateing your dogs or atleast "dog" . Dividing by rooms can sometimes work but I have seen holes chewed through walls and doors by dogs wanting out so to me that isnt that secure. People get a bad feeling when talking about crates for some reason they humanize there dogs too much and think of it like a jail when infact it isnt. If used right alot of dogs learn to love it and it gives them there own space if they need a quiet time. Alot of mine use there crates when I leave them open they will go on there own to it. With this breed DA is there regardless if they are fixed or not , IMO it wont help , but some claim it will . If your not showing him or anything where he needs his balls it deff wont hurt having him fixed and may help keeping those hormones down that are going to be kicking in soon here. If your going to fix him Id do it sooner then later I believe after they are mature and dealt with the hormonal changes you wont see as big a change in him. We neutered a male at like 3 years or older and didnt notice a change behaviour wise. Are your chi's males? You may have more issues come up later with them if they are and if he is intact, my biggest issue here is with my males not getting along.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
How many chi's do you have and is the male chi also intact? Male on male aggression is very common especially if both parties are intact. I know very few people that can house two or more intact males without issues. Anyways as Angel said if he is not going to be a show dog or compete in anything else then i would fix him to keep the hormones at bay. DA is apart of the breed so it is what it is ;) I would also invest in a break stick as well incase a fight happens again.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
my 3 are fine w/ each other.. but i cant say the same if a friend was gonna bring their dog over.. this is their yard and any other dog most likely isnt welcome.. same thing w/ your pup.. its his yard/house .. any strange dogs arent welcome

Reactions: ThaLadyPit

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Hi all, My name is Kristi,, 3 months ago I bought a 4 month old what I was told was a blue nose pitt-- I have to say BEAUTIFUL pup,, he looks like a seal to me,, anyway, he got really sick within a week of having him, spent 7 days at the hospital on IV's -- made a great recovery,, he is not neutered and is now 7 months old, and growing like a weed, I have multiple dogs in the house, mostly small breeds and he does fine with these dogs- However, when my friends come over with their dogs, he has gotten really aggressive the last two times- So far he is just snapping at the other dogs, mostly in their face,, last night however, he actually got a hold of one of their ears, and wouldn't let go-- I am not sure how to correct this behavior since it seems to have come out of the blue, no warning at all- he gives mixed signals, tail wagging head erect ,, ect ,, does not show any sign of aggression then out of the blue snaps at them -- I am not sure how or what to do-- any helpers out there?? He knows sit , stay, come, I taught him voice and hand commands, but when he shows aggression , he seems to not listen to anything, :(:(
Just a couple things-
Pit (short for Pit Bull, only has one T, sorry, but that is a pet peeve of mine, lol) Second- you are bringing unfamiliar dog onto his territory with no introduction, compounded by not paying attention to his signals. A wagging tail does not equal a happy dog, or even a freindly dog. A high fast tail wag is often just a sign of excitement or over-arousal.
The high head carriage can be a challenge or an invitation to play, depends on the dogs and depends on (sometimes) their level of familiarity. (I can go up to a good friend of mine and shove them (playfully) or talk smack about their Mom or their hair and we know it's a joke, I do the same thing to some stranger, they are likely to punch me in the face or call me names)
You are setting him up to fail by allowing him to practice this behavior. At the least, he should be crated when dogs he is not familiar with come onto his territory, not as a punishment, but as a pre-caution. I heavily treat resident dogs (who are crated) whenever newcomers arrive on the scene. This is how I can Foster and my dogs (one of which is highly dog aggressive and can never interact directly with fosters) look upon the arrival of another interloper as a GOOD thing. They know the new dog will end up spending more time put away then they do and they know new dog equals an upgrade in reinforcement for them. Ignore dog, reap rewards.
Altering male dogs does tend to reduce territorialism, however it is not an end all or an easy fix. You need to manage his behavior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for all your help!! Yes I have one male chi,, he is the one that hates Ruger-- : ( I did go buy some crates this weekend, and each of them have their own crate,

I have also enrolled Ruger into obedience training,, and she will be helping me socialize him to other dogs,, I understand that this breed is typically DA-- however, I am going to try and socialize him with more "outsiders" --
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t377/kristiyokley/Ruger3-2-122.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t377/kristiyokley/ruger3-2-12.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums...9346801992_721176991_9428038_1760372334_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
sounds great , glad you got the crates and going to work with a trainer. Socializing isnt all about other dogs its other places and people although if he tolerates it other dogs is good too. Just make sure you always have control over him and the situation to intervene if needed. Last thing needed is for someone elses dog to get injured. Stay away from places like dog parks and places like that. If you know someone you trust with dogs its the best way to try socializing, I dont trust alot of other owners I dont know to many stupid people owning dogs and dont know how to correct things or notice there dogs body language before a problem comes to peak. Keep us posted with how he does with the trainer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear what your saying,, we have always taken him out and about with us from day one, trying to socialize him with people-- so far he has done beautifully,, doesn't know a stranger ,, well until they knock on the door, then he sounds vicious till the door opens,, we are working on jumping on people right now,, he gets sooo excited, and jumps on whoever comes through the door,, What I have started doing before I open the door for someone, is make him sit, stay, and I leash him, still making him sit, till I open the door,, I am trying to calm him down,,, because I know that he can knock someone over- and I dont want to let him continue to run over people like that -- he is doing much better with trying to calm himself--

Its been years since I had a pit, and forgotten how much extra attention they need as far as training,, when my chi runs up to me excited to see me is one thing, but my pit on the other hand teaches him its a reward for me to pet him after he has just about knocked me backwards ,,lol So I am having to be retrained just as well as he... sigh,,,

Did you get a chance to look at his pics to help determine what color you think he is ,

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Im actually not sure on color, he is very pretty most deffinately not seal. Im torn between blue yet his nose isnt blue so you wouldnt call him a blue nose, or champagne he kinda looks like a darker champagne. Really pretty. You have any pics of him out in the sun or anything in better light?

·
Registered
901 Posts
He sure is a cutie! I would get him neutered unless you are planning to show. I agree with what the other's are saying. Do you provide him with a lot of walks and sensory stimulation?
Your boy was plotting like my Mastiff. It took a while for me to realize the signs and to read his body language I never had an issue with aggression until my Mastiff became the aggressor..........so far. Beastley my APBT is seal and white. When the sun shines on him you can see the seal, in the house he looks black and white. Fights can come on unexpectedly. I C&R my dogs with a baby gate to control their movements when I am home since my Mastiff is DA and we had two serious and costly incidents. They can never be together...ever. Please do not set your boy up to fail. I muzzle my dogs when in public, they love people but I will not risk an unexpected situation where another dog may approach and they decide they do not like them. Just a personal choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts