Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so here goes, earlier this year, we finally had to keep Orion & Phoenix apart, for thse that don't remember I had 2 different fights between the 2 boys, Orion is neutered as well as being Phoenix' son. They have been around each other their whole lives. Now after the second and last fight happened, we have kept them apart since, they sniff each other on occassion but leave each other alone, I crate and rotate on a 3 hour time schedule. Now I am totally fine with this as I am the only one who deals with the boys. But evidentaly this bothers the b/f and a few of my friends. ( And YES I know they don't feed my dogs or anything but the b/f does, he pays for te food, sometimes, lol) Ok, so after the last fight, the b/f wondered if the bos would ever be able to be around each other again, I say no, as I know where this breed comes from, he still kinda lives in lala land that it is all in how you raise them. In 6 years he has learned very little, lol.
Anywayz the b/f and I had discussed putting muzzles on the boys with their collars on and keep them under very very strict supervision, if they can coexist with each other in the same room? I guess like rehabilitating them. Ughh I sound like such an idiot, cause I know, well I am 99% sure this will never work, but I have to get info and advice so I can show the b/f and friends so they will shutup, nobody listens to me when I talk dogs, not that I know nearly as much as some of the people here, but I know quite a bit and still noone listens, lmaooo, oh well. Ok so there ya go, please be nice, thank you :D

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I thnk it is worth a shot. You could also impliment the leave it training. Mikado had fought horribly with Matayha almost on a daily basis when I first got him. I worked very hard on the leave it and I would watch them both very closely for any signs that they might go for each other. It took some time but I got to the point that they lived in perfect harmony. They would ride in the car they played they slept and ate together. I did not use a muzzle on either of them and I did by myself as no oe here wanted to help me break up any fights. Good luck.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thnk it is worth a shot. You could also impliment the leave it training. Mikado had fought horribly with Matayha almost on a daily basis when I first got him. I worked very hard on the leave it and I would watch them both very closely for any signs that they might go for each other. It took some time but I got to the point that they lived in perfect harmony. They would ride in the car they played they slept and ate together. I did not use a muzzle on either of them and I did by myself as no oe here wanted to help me break up any fights. Good luck.
Well both boys know what leave it means, and when the fight(s) broke and I said "leave it" Phoenix is the one who turned away, but I will brush up on it for sure. Thanks Sharon :D

I wouldn't recommend it but if you do check out this muzzle from Leerburg.Testimonials at the bottom of the page.
Thanks Lauren, I want all opinions so I can show the b/f and I have seen that muzzle, thanks for the link girl :D

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I forgot to add that what took about 3months of training lasted 6yrs that is when I had to have Mikado put down. Matayha really mourned for her buddy.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Sounds like you've got some good advice already and never having more than one dog at a time I can only imagine how this could be tough. I'd just be concerned that since they have got into it a couple times, it's gonna happen again no matter what you do. They are being good, you turn around for a second to do something and the WWF smack down starts! That would be my biggest concern, always in the back of my mind that something is going to happen. I guess this isn't much help on what to do, more of my concern as someone who hasn't had to deal with this. Good luck with it though, I hope you can get it worked out.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Tye, I think a muzzle will cause frustration and reallistically speaking you know this better than or your bf. It's just setting up unrealistic expectations. I am sure he has the best intentions to do it, but I don't see a happy ending with this scenario. You know what the breed was made to do, you know how difficult it is to have two males get along. My Pluto was neutered at 5 months and he wanted to kill anything with fur on it. YOu will always have escalation into a fight because this breed is animal dominant. The only way you can control this is to be next to the dogs every single time and correct each dog as soon as they display a challenge. A simple eye stare is a challenge, body positioning is a challenge, tail possitioning is a challenge, does your bf really have the patience and time to correct these dogs every 5 seconds? The muzzle idea is bad in my opinion it will build frustration and God forbid they go near each other without, it will be a bloody resolution.

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Tye, I think a muzzle will cause frustration and reallistically speaking you know this better than or your bf. It's just setting up unrealistic expectations. I am sure he has the best intentions to do it, but I don't see a happy ending with this scenario. You know what the breed was made to do, you know how difficult it is to have two males get along. My Pluto was neutered at 5 months and he wanted to kill anything with fur on it. YOu will always have escalation into a fight because this breed is animal dominant. The only way you can control this is to be next to the dogs every single time and correct each dog as soon as they display a challenge. A simple eye stare is a challenge, body positioning is a challenge, tail possitioning is a challenge, does your bf really have the patience and time to correct these dogs every 5 seconds? The muzzle idea is bad in my opinion it will build frustration and God forbid they go near each other without, it will be a bloody resolution.
:goodpost::goodpost:I agree with David!!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to add that what took about 3months of training lasted 6yrs that is when I had to have Mikado put down. Matayha really mourned for her buddy.
Oh wow Sharon those are good outcomes, thanks girl :D

Sounds like you've got some good advice already and never having more than one dog at a time I can only imagine how this could be tough. I'd just be concerned that since they have got into it a couple times, it's gonna happen again no matter what you do. They are being good, you turn around for a second to do something and the WWF smack down starts! That would be my biggest concern, always in the back of my mind that something is going to happen. I guess this isn't much help on what to do, more of my concern as someone who hasn't had to deal with this. Good luck with it though, I hope you can get it worked out.
David - I appreciate your input though thank you, and this is my concern, I am ok with the crating and rotating, and I think since I am the one who does all the dog stuff it should be up to me, and the boys don't seem to mind, really. hahaha, I knew I liked ya for a reason, WWF is no more, it is now WWE but Smackdown is awesome I am a Raw fan, but watch it all :D

Thank you David, I am in total agrreance with you really, I am?? I can read my dogs and know, the b/f thinks he does but he didn't see the second fight about to happen and I did and no he is not willing to correct every 5 seconds, he already thinks I am too much of a hard butt on them anywayz. Thanks for the input, i do appreciate it

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think maybe the BF has some unrealistic expectations... If it were me (and I have been there before) I would maybe try leashes and try them in the same room... Tye you know your dogs you will feel their tension and if you do that a couple times and feel tension I say leave it at that and continue crate and rotate.

Why do people think that a dog in a crate is so bad? I do not get this... I have always crated except for years ago when I had enough room to tie out (back when I did not care how my yard looked)... If the dogs are getting enough exercise and attention they will be fine crating and rotating.

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think maybe the BF has some unrealistic expectations... If it were me (and I have been there before) I would maybe try leashes and try them in the same room... Tye you know your dogs you will feel their tension and if you do that a couple times and feel tension I say leave it at that and continue crate and rotate.

Why do people think that a dog in a crate is so bad? I do not get this... I have always crated except for years ago when I had enough room to tie out (back when I did not care how my yard looked)... If the dogs are getting enough exercise and attention they will be fine crating and rotating.
You know Brook, I really have tried to educate him on more than one occassion, I think with the boys fighting it opened his eyes a little and I actually got him to go to an ADBA show back in June, opened his eyes a bit as well. So I am hoping that by seeing this he will see what I mean and leave it alone, and Orion loves his crate, I wish I had crate trained Phoenix, thanks for the input girl, I appreciate it

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
You don't by chance have a crate for the b/f do ya? :hammer:

jk with ya......I still really like your medal. :roll:

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't by chance have a crate for the b/f do ya? :hammer:

jk with ya......I still really like your medal. :roll:
ROFL LMAOOOOOOOOOO David, he needs a crate sometimes I swear, I have crated the kids why not him, hahaha, now that is funny stuff right there.

:p hehehe thanks I really like my medal as well :D Ya know ya want it :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My husband still lives in fantasy land too... Dont feel bad Tye sometimes I would just like to crate him and be done with it... hehehehehe I am EVIL

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lmaoo girl, you have no idea, well maybe you do, see great minds think alike, lol. I really do appreciate all the input on this, I hope others will respond as well.

hehehe I love being evil :p

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Muzzling them will just temporarily keep any blood baths from happening. It won't solve the problem as the dogs don't get along. I would just continue to crate and rotate.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Tara, I am in total agreeance with those who say this but I would love for the boys to be able to hang out again ya know, I know shut up Tye, you know better and I do, I am grateful too all opinions, so thank you all

Reactions: Sadie

·
Registered
780 Posts
lmaoo girl, you have no idea, well maybe you do, see great minds think alike, lol. I really do appreciate all the input on this, I hope others will respond as well.

hehehe I love being evil :p
Glad im here learning instead of being clowned by my girl and all the other very knowledgeable women of GP.:):):) too funny.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts