Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just two weeks ago adopted a 6 month old Pittbull Lab mix boy pup named Rosco. I adopted him from a young couple who had only had him out of the kennel about four hours a day since the day he came home.. He is a very sweet boy who loves to snuggle. and lots of energy (as expected). He has learned all the basic tricks and potty training within the past two weeks. We go on two walks a day and have lots of play time. Though Rosco sometimes gets a little nippy. He is not responding to "No" at all when biting. He will charge and bite my legs ( tail still wagging) when I remove myself from his area when he refuses to stop biting. I have tried all kinds of different tactics, I've read over books, forums and everything in the book to get him to stop but he refuses to listen. I love this boy and I want to solve this problem, I have young children I plan on introducing him to.. But the weight on his bite can be very painful and sometimes intimidating when unable to gain control of him. Does anyone know what I should do?

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
If he is not doing well when you redirect him and stop all play, I would get a spray bottle with vinegar and water mixed and spray him in the face everytime he does it and give a loud firm "AAAAATTTT!!" You need to nip this problem now. If he keeps it up even with the spray bottle, I'd probably give him a firm poke as well.

Make sure he has lots of toys that he can play tug with. :)

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I would also start giving him lots of exercise, a tired dog without all the pent up energy will be a lot easier to work with. My 11 month old girl gets crazy if she doesn't get the proper amount of exercise.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I think it just may take time to find out whats acceptable for him. Keep stopping play when he makes contact on skin and the other suggestions and he should get it. You can turn your back, fold your arms and just stop. Once he relaxes resume play. Help him learn all fun stops when he nips. He is trying to get a reaction from you. My dog would be mouthy when excited so I started giving him a chuckit ball so he chews it like gum and doesn't get mouthy. Now he is always looking for his ball when he gets excited instead of being a trouble maker.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If he is not doing well when you redirect him and stop all play, I would get a spray bottle with vinegar and water mixed and spray him in the face everytime he does it and give a loud firm "AAAAATTTT!!" You need to nip this problem now. If he keeps it up even with the spray bottle, I'd probably give him a firm poke as well.

Make sure he has lots of toys that he can play tug with. :)
I agree with this method, however without the vinegar...just water does the trick
Respectfully

1 - 5 of 5 Posts