Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my female pittie pup for about 3 weeks. She is amazing and I love her!! I am having one issue though. She barks and whines like crazy when I leave her alone in her crate.

I got her used to her crate correctly, I can put her in it for bed time, and when I am home doing things in the house with zero complaints. She goes in readily and will chill out and chew her antler or sleep, as long as she knows I am there. As I type this, she is in her crate and unable to see me, just chewing her antler. If I leave the room or the house she starts to whine, and the whining turns into barking/screeching.

I have been trying to wait outside the door and enter/give her a treat when she is quiet, but it doesn't seem to be making much progress.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Patience. That's my big suggestion. You're doing the right thing by leaving, waiting outside the door, and then treating her when she's quiet. It's just going to take a lot of time and repetition.

Also, I make sure my coming and going is as drama free as possible. I'm very matter of fact about having everybody go out, do their business, and then into their crates. I don't say anything extra, don't give extra pets, nothing. They each have a toy or antler or something already in the crate, so I close them in and leave quickly. Dogs read body language extremely well - if you are feeling guilty about leaving her, she'll pick up on that and react to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you tried covering the crate? I'm not an expert by any means but my experience has been that when I've covered the crate or left a radio on for short trips mine have stayed quiet. I also leave an article of my clothing (read:my sock lol) on top of the crate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts