Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had such a serious facepalm moment this morning. I'm sure I have mentioned before that I live in a flat on my parents property. My parents are not dog savy (to say the least), but have very big hearts. They are dog sitting my sisters Pomeranian for the next few months, and while fetching her decided that they would keep on of the puppies that sisters dog had 7 weeks ago (the other three mutt pups have gone to homes - the pups are a whole nother story).

I have been asked repeatedly why I do not leave Jones out during the day (while no one is home) with my dads Rottweiler. I have repeatedly said no and been called neurotic. This morning I was out playing fetch with Jones, and my mom asked me to take the ball of fur and put it in the grass. Jones comes running up and I try the gentle introduction things, and Jones tries to mouth the pup as though it was a tennis ball. Needless to say the pup went back inside. After our game of fetch, the routine is that I feed Jones then get ready for work and leave. At this point my mom, the Pomeranian, the pup and the Rottweiler are outside and I allow Jones to go over and sniff everyone, I could see he was getting too excited so I held his collar and was going to take him to my flat when my mom says "why don't you just leave him to play, they will be fine together."

Do you think I overreacted? I have been going over it in my head and am wondering if I could have trusted my mom to make sure that Jones didn't attempted to treat the pup like a tennis ball?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
When I introduce older pups to younger pups I make sure they give the new pup space. They start getting too excited to play they get a poke and I say "aaaaaat!" They need to learn to respect the new pup's boundaries.

As for leaving all the dogs out together during the day I would say no way because that rottie might decide he would like to eat the pup for lunch ;) I'd only let them out to play together if they are being supervised by an experienced person. If Jones starts playing to rough with the little pup and the little pup panics, the rottie and Jones might both go into pack mentality and attack the puppy. Ive seen this happen numerous times while walking past dog parks.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. Jones definitely goes into "destroy the weakling" mentality when he hears a struggling animal. He also gets really amped when playing, to the point where he doesn't see the other dog wants to stop playing, and their warnings are a game to him. :facepalm: This is why he doesn't get to hangout unattended with other animals.

I reintroduced the pup this after noon. Just Jones and the pup. And Jones was hilarious with the pup. He nosed at the pup sniffing it all over, and I said ahuh, he backed up an let the puppy get her feet back under her, and she did the play bounce thing and came of to him and he nosed nosed at her and she batted at his nose. It was very cute.

This is the pup btw

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
^^^^^^^ wtf is them things? African rats? They're bigger than them apple headed mexican rats.... ugly little gremlin looking beasts either way....

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^^^^^ wtf is them things? African rats? They're bigger than them apple headed mexican rats.... ugly little gremlin looking beasts either way....
Hahahaha!!

Those are Pomeranian rats mixed with some other Canis familias. Not my cup of tea, FAR TOO MUCH hair and WAY too small. And they NO purpose in life other than to shed hair everywhere they go.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
They are so cute :) I like them :p lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts