Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so apparently tini is breedist, i have a feeling he has developed a serious hate for german shepards. so apparently before me and my girl got together he was taken to a dog park and got attacked by a gsd, then with in the last month we had an incident at our local park with a guy whos off leash gsds rushed us and tini flipped his lid kinda described here http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/38468-bad-night-walking-dogs.html then the other day tini saw a gsd in the nursery which is located right behind us and he decided he wanted to try and rush the dog and try to start :poop: drive kicked in and wouldnt listen till he got yanked by his collar. any one else have a dog who is breedist? not like wants to kill every single dog but wants to go after a dog that looks a certain way? i just want to know if im alone or not :confused:

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Koby was like that with dogs bigger than him like GSDs, Rottweilers, Mastiffs, etc; however, he always got along with small dogs and has no problem with females. Kangol on the other hand does not discriminate male, female, big, or little.... He hates them all equally (except for my brother's female Golden Retriever but I think that's because they have kind of grown up together and they are the exact same age). Koby attacked Kangol quite a few times when Kangol was about a year old and ever since then he has despised all other dogs. Kangol has formed serious disdain towards these 2 GSDs in our neighborhood and 2 mutts that live down the street because they all walk past his house every day and there is nothing he can do about it. He has this extra mean bark when they walk past the house and it is way different from how he sounds when he sees the Yorkie across the street outside.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he seems fine with dogs his size and smaller hes ok with our pointer and our chihuahua, i guess it could be dogs bigger than him theres this rotti that lives at the corner and he doesnt have an issue he just ignores him but he seems to be going out of his way for the gsd not to many big fluffy dogs to see if he just doesnt like big fluffy dogs. he doesnt bark he kinda snarls and bares his teeth way out of character for him but i cant expect a bulldog not to fight.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Nikita is DA all the way but she takes a particular hate to Goldens... Dont know why but she tries to go at them with much more force than any other. Shes never had a physical altercation with one. The only tiff shes been in is with Sarge so I am not sure where the breedist came from. Maybe its cause she hears me say I dont like em lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
Like in your dogs case...Rocco was attacked 2X by male 'pit bulls' while he was being walked ( no physical harm done); and has been aggressive since with all males his size and bigger. He's fine w/ small dogs and females. As some one on the forum suggested ...I think it's fear of being attacked again.
I get oppty to expose him to his attackers ( they're often out in their yards) and large dogs of various breeds safely...and I do...trying to ' train' him out of his fear.
It's a pain dealing w/ him pulling and trying to bolt for these animals so I hope the training's successful.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Dosia doesn't like chi's. When he was little we were on a walk around the block and our neighbors had their 3 chi's out. All 2 of them rushed us and started biting him. I punted 2 of them and the other one ran off and ever since then he wants to eat every chi he sees.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Dogs are very associative, it's quite common for dogs to react to one dog rather than another because of an experience.

Dakota can tell when a dog is off leash, that's when he gets bothered. Boisterous Labs he dislikes. He also hates puppies.

So far Alice is most reactive to APBTs her size.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Chewee will butt heads with anyone (dogs that is) who challenge or provoke him. But our last dog Buster pretty much got along with other dogs except for GSD's, maybe he had an issue with one before we adopted him??

·
Banned
283 Posts
Mya hates Cats... she got attacked by both my mom's and now every chance she gets she chases them around her house, she's decided that she won't be embarrassed like that again. Haven't noticed any problems with dogs yet.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yes it can happen. Kaos hated all male dogs that were bully breeds, every other breed no matter if it was an intact male or female he loved.

This is just like any other DA issue and can be easily fixed but if you let it go unchecked you could have a hard time controlling your dog. Do you need help correcting it?

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yah lisa do you have any tips? we ussually dont see any gsd much around so i dont think its a big problem(especially since i know its there now and i can just avoid fluffy dogs all day), but the wifey does see it as a bad problem and would like to figure out how to correct it.

@suthern i couldnt call it racist lol so i had to figure out a new term

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Mel has issues with Husky's. Anytime one passes the house or we are outside he is horrible. he has had issues with random other dogs, but ALL husky's! weird... I just started training with Gargamel on Monday, and so far so good. There is a reactive dog class near me as well, maybe you could check some of those out and see if there is one by you? I am holding off on the class right now and having the one on one trainer in my home or at her kennel once he advances a bit.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I like your dog haha, I'm breedist too

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
harness mostly but if he's pulling we hook the leash to his 1 1/2 in collar.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You are going to have to use a correction collar have you ever used one on him? My guess is you would need a prong with that high aggression. If you are hand walking you can have two leashes on and two collars. On leash on the harness then another one on the prong. You need something to correct the aggression. You also have to correct him right as he starts to get excited about the other dog. Basically for the thought of getting DA with the other dog. It is much easier and better to correct right before the high drive kicks in, if you wait till he is going off it is pretty hard to stop them. Several pops on a prong with a dog in that high in drive could make his worse in that moment. So I would put a correction collar on him like a properly fit prong and just walk him on his harness. Take him to where you know there is going to be a dog who sets him off and the moment he tries to get excited pop up on the prong and tell him no. Correct him still he stops and relaxes and praise him.
The thing with DA is you have to teach them a proper reaction when they see dogs and the proper reaction is to ignore not get excited.

This is the first step to correcting this and getting control. It does not look good for our breed to be at the end of the leash going after dogs.

·
Registered
776 Posts
brock hates papillons
he wanted to get into it with his brother one day but that seems to be a thing of the past

1 - 20 of 28 Posts