Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... been thinking long and hard, and I want to get Kandi a spring pole... She's so hyper active and loves playing tug o war... so I'm thinking spring pole....

Where can I get one for a good price??? Thanks all.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm definitely not so great at building... but maybe if I get told how... I could possibly?? lol. >.<

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Here is what you r going to need. Two 25 lb springs, 4 carribean clips some rope and some chain. Chain length is depending on how you are going to hang it. For instance 5 feet off the ground you would need 6 feet of chain. You will also need 2 or 4 clips that screw shut. So you put the carribean clips on the springs one on each end of both of them. For the top of the springs where the chain will attach you add on the end of the chain two of the clips that screw shut. Then use the carribean clips on the top of the springs and attach one to each. For the bottom you will need a foot of good strong rope and tie a three way tie the two onto the bottom carriban clips and then a not it will make a y, on the bottom of the y add one more clip then tie a sturdy not. Add whatever you choose as your tug to the end then attach it to a high spot away from things a overhanging tree branch works good and attachthe chain over thenuse one of the scwering links to close it together and there you go. If this sounds to hard tomorrow I will be making two new ones one for my puppies in the shed and another new one forth bug dogs and I can go over a picture step by step

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks... and maybe pictures would make it a little easier if you don't mind... I'm more of a hands on person... I have a problem when reading sometimes... but thanks for all of the info... :) It's much appreciated

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
If you have a good tree you can set one up like this.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I have a travel one with a chain I bring and attach stuff to cause I don't have tree with big branches in my yard. We take it in the woods and stuff. But if you don't have money to get the stuff I use Ropes (folded, not the kind that has a fake handle that can detach after 5 seconds)

They are no spring pole, and pretty ghetto but they get him active and he loves them. This is a clothes line behind my shed. The problem I had with this is he would climb the fence and get bangs on his knee. I made it real low now so he has all 4's on the ground.

This is just a random stick I put the rope over. Saves my back a little and lets him really tug.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
American_Pit.... What kind of spring exactly is that?? I think that is a lot easier of a set up. I could probably do that! Thank you very much.

And Ames- good work making it work with that you have :) He looks like a happy boy ;)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
old setup

here is my currrent setup it will change tomorrow but here is duke enjoying it.
:woof::woof:sorry i had a phone call

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
yes he loves that dang thing he will really hold on and move the springs until you tell him to stop, here is an example of how high he jumps for it

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks fun and all, but what exactly attracts them to wanna hang like that? lol.
Hope I get one set up soon.
I wanna see how Kandi takes to one

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I believe it was a 150lb spring. If you want to use it often you have to have a spring. It is not good to use a consistent tug type toy without a spring or something that is not a stiff base.

It cost me like $20 to make mine. I find toys at the dollar tree and the spring was like $5. You can get the spring, rope, and clips at a store like Home Depot. You want to make sure the spring is not to stiff. However you shouldn't be able to pull it apart with ease.

Make it low enough the dogs back feet can still touch the ground. You may have to try different toys to see what your dog will go after.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
well i got my dogs interested it to start out with not the one shown with deer hide and a bungee cord letting them feel the pull and they take to it then i switch to a tug toy and lower the spring for younger dogs and as they get the hang of it gradually raise it up not to fast tho you dont want to hurt a young dog jumping to high and landing its best to wait until they are fully muture before you allow them to get all 4 off the ground well thats the rule of thumb i go by

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I have dogs that will hang at times but it is not good for a dog to do that a lot. The majority of the time your dog should be able to use its back legs. Spring poles can damage the teeth and back and this can be increased but your dog having to hold more of its weight by its teeth. Spring poles and Flirt poles are great exercising tools, but can be damaging if not used safely.

If you choose to have your dogs off the ground thats fine, but I don't recommend it to the OP.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Texas game and American pi y'all have been super helpful and I will keep all of these things in mind when I get tobuilding this :D

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
No worries I am in the process right now of building a couple well it's on the list for today. So hopefully I'll have some pics and a semi tutorial on how to DIY

1 - 20 of 30 Posts