Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to start but would real like too have my own kennel idk what too name nor where to start I only have one female dog right now I have no clue where to look for research

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
How mundane. Everyone and their cousin wants (or already has) to have their own 'kennel' (by that they mean pumping out puppies with no clue as to what they are doing) Break from the pack and do something with the dog you have now.
What to name the darn kennel really shouldn't be the first priority. Sorry if that comes off a bit snarky, but everyone who has an intact pit bull seems not only compelled to breed it, but to start their own 'kennel'. Pit Bull's and Bullies are facing a serious epidemic right now, an epidemic that costs the lives of thousands of dogs everyday. That epidemic is over breeding. Don't add to that. Please

·
Registered
776 Posts
here is a thought .. give him the answer he asked for .. if you seriously want to start a kennel the right way , go to shows and talk to people that run good kennels. Find one that is willing to mentor you and start working with them . Plan on working with them for a good period of time and learning how to go about it the right way . If you honestly wanna do it , the correct way , span on spending alot of time doing leg work . You need to decide what your looking for , getting foundation dogs , working and showing them until they have the proper titles , health testing them ... lots and lots of work.
This isnt something your gonna make money on . Its totally gotta be a labor of love.

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
What I was about to say. You need to contact Kennels, people, with knowledge on breeding, before you breed anything. You want to make sure you have dogs worthy of breeding.
Just do a lot of research and talking, and come up with answers to questions you may have.

I would seriously advise doing about 5-10 years of research, before you concider breeding.
Everyone has a right to do what they wish, but there is a lot to concider when creating animals that may or may not be spoken for. Risky Business.

·
Registered
776 Posts
What I was about to say. You need to contact Kennels, people, with knowledge on breeding, before you breed anything. You want to make sure you have dogs worthy of breeding.
Just do a lot of research and talking, and come up with answers to questions you may have.

I would seriously advise doing about 5-10 years of research, before you concider breeding.
Everyone has a right to do what they wish, but there is a lot to concider when creating animals that may or may not be spoken for. Risky Business.
good advice:goodpost:

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I'm not sure where to start but would real like too have my own kennel idk what too name nor where to start I only have one female dog right now I have no clue where to look for research
May I ask why you want to start your own kennel? I mean, what are you looking to accomplish with these dogs? What are your goals with the dogs? What do you envision yourself producing? What are you striving to produce, or what are you trying to out do that's already out there? This is where you need to start. You need to sit down and study all the lines out there, and determine, in your mind, what they're lacking and what you can bring to the table. Do you have an understanding of Genetics? Can you read pedigrees? Do you have the heart to cull anything that isn't up to par?

If you're unable to answer any of these questions, then you need to seek the advice of a seasoned veteran and hope they take you under their wing and teach you what you need to know before just throwing a pair of dogs together and making pups. I'm not trying to be mean or come off as rude, but these are questions that are going through most everybody's mind when they read your post. I believe the best advice has been given.. you need to spend the next 10 or so years studying the ins and outs of this breed and everything that goes along with the dogs, learning from someone who knows what they're doing, and get yourself some damn good dogs before you venture down this path.

I wish you the best in your endeavors, and hope you have great success in what you set out to accomplish.

Reactions: =CC=

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is a thought .. give him the answer he asked for .. if you seriously want to start a kennel the right way , go to shows and talk to people that run good kennels. Find one that is willing to mentor you and start working with them . Plan on working with them for a good period of time and learning how to go about it the right way . If you honestly wanna do it , the correct way , span on spending alot of time doing leg work . You need to decide what your looking for , getting foundation dogs , working and showing them until they have the proper titles , health testing them ... lots and lots of work.
This isnt something your gonna make money on . Its totally gotta be a labor of love.
thanks motocross308

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i want to start my own kennel not 2 make money nor to be a puppy mill I just want to do my research and do it right and for bloodlines and temperament it's for the breed not the money I'M sorry if many of you think i'm in it for money I like being broke and if i was in to making money i would find something else to start that has a lot more profit

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
i want to start my own kennel not 2 make money nor to be a puppy mill I just want to do my research and do it right and for bloodlines and temperament it's for the breed not the money I'M sorry if many of you think i'm in it for money I like being broke and if i was in to making money i would find something else to start that has a lot more profit
You can do all the research you want by not breeding. What is it about the bloodlines and temperaments available already that you see need improvement or changes made to? Could you be a bit more specific for us?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I like being broke too! That's why I do rescue, lol. Sorry if I sounded snarky earlier. I should NOT answer posts about breeding after reading my e-mai (too many people begging me to take their dog) I think it's great you are asking questions first. Breeding dogs, if done correctly, to better the breed, is a money suck, not a money maker.
What bloodlines is your current female? What do you plan on doing with her? (oh boy, don't get me started on what a money suck competing can be!) What breed are you looking to 'better'? I find most people skip the part on 'what can my current dog do as good or better' and move right to breeding. If you do things right, your girl will be old and gray by the time you learn enough about genetics and what you want to do it right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like being broke too! That's why I do rescue, lol. Sorry if I sounded snarky earlier. I should NOT answer posts about breeding after reading my e-mai (too many people begging me to take their dog) I think it's great you are asking questions first. Breeding dogs, if done correctly, to better the breed, is a money suck, not a money maker.
What bloodlines is your current female? What do you plan on doing with her? (oh boy, don't get me started on what a money suck competing can be!) What breed are you looking to 'better'? I find most people skip the part on 'what can my current dog do as good or better' and move right to breeding. If you do things right, your girl will be old and gray by the time you learn enough about genetics and what you want to do it right.
Its all good i'm not like the others out here i'm weight pulling my female and if i do raise any pups its of my own yard!!! but i'm thanking things slowly to start my own kennel the right way not to be a puppy mill

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm weight pulling my female and hope to raise some pups from her one day not any time soon and I hope to have her on her way to being aced out before then like i said i'm not in this for money i enjoy working with my girl maia i know some one is going to tell not to breed her cause they think they know best i'm sorry if me asking about wanting my own kennel to get my kids and family into working my dogs i'm sorry i said i had one female right now i mean I not asking how to start my own bloodline's because i have not interest in that i just hope to better my bloodlines one day i'm going to do my research slowly to find out what i need to do i'm not out to make a name for myself

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can do all the research you want by not breeding. What is it about the bloodlines and temperaments available already that you see need improvement or changes made to? Could you be a bit more specific for us?
I didn't say was going to do any breeding i said i had one female I've raise hunting dogs for a long time and i'm not a first time apbt owner i'm not trying to be rude I weight pull my game bred apbt and i enjoy working her and she enjoys it but back to what you where asking before yes i know how to read my papers on my female maia

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Its all good i'm not like the others out here i'm weight pulling my female and if i do raise any pups its of my own yard!!! but i'm thanking things slowly to start my own kennel the right way not to be a puppy mill
Awesome. It's nice to see people out there doing things with their dogs. Glad you are one of the few who actually do! Once again, my apologies for assuming you weren't.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome. It's nice to see people out there doing things with their dogs. Glad you are one of the few who actually do! Once again, my apologies for assuming you weren't.
hey its all good i know i want be able to start it today or next week lol I hope some time or another to have one maybe a few yrs from now

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I didn't say was going to do any breeding i said i had one female I've raise hunting dogs for a long time and i'm not a first time apbt owner i'm not trying to be rude I weight pull my game bred apbt and i enjoy working her and she enjoys it but back to what you where asking before yes i know how to read my papers on my female maia
No, I was just simply asking b/c you said you were wanting to improve bloodlines/temperaments, so i asked what you were wanting to improve upon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
No, I was just simply asking b/c you said you were wanting to improve bloodlines/temperaments, so i asked what you were wanting to improve upon.
i love my dogs temperament i would like to have just a lil more heart not saying she doesn't have enough or in some peoples eyes and thoughts gameness I respect that you all went up in alarm but I will not chance my bloodlines or mess my bloodlines up I've got my kids to teach and maybe hand down my dogs or my experience with the breed and hope that i keep the breed going with my kids or grand kids. I believe in the the right hands and the right guidance that the apbt will still be apart of our history

1 - 18 of 18 Posts