Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently feeding my dogs diamond premium and i wanted opinions on which one you would choose Iams adult the green bag or diamond premium the green bag they are about the same price but i think the Iams bag is 10lbs smaller

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
hmm I haven't ever fed Iams personally, but I've fed Diamond and Taste Of the Wild (another company ran by diamond...just a fancier bag). Diamond is horrible for my dogs. they change their ingredients too often

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have fed diamond and liked it and known people to feed diamond 10 plus years and still swear by it. Only feed diamond naturals, the other stuff is crap they make. For the money it is the best buy with dry kibble.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason i ask is i live in a small town and those seem to be the best food i can find unless i drive to the city about an hour away would it be safe to say thay would both have the outcome for conditioning

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
maybe you can check into ordering your dog food online... heck, then you won't even have to leave the house! lol I used to feed Flint River Ranch... they always have free shipping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks yea thats all thats here is wal-mart and a couple of feed stores and those are the best ones i could find here the pet smart is an hour away

·
Registered
520 Posts
do you live near a costco if so try kirklands signature its better than iams and diamond and its cheaper the only thing is you only get it a costco

·
Registered
317 Posts
Diamond naturals is diffrent than what this person is talking about. Im trying to stay on topic here.
I don't know what the hell your problem is but if you have something to say then say it and stop with trying to be slick with your little extra comments directed towards me, this is the second time you have done this recently and I let it slide the first but not now. Feel free to PM me. I don't know everything about these dogs but I do know something I promise that.

She compared Iams which is trash and diamond premium is no better at all, might as well go to Wal Mart and find Ol' Roy. I was trying to put her on the right track with going with naturals. You waste your money and feed your dog an inferior food. Diamond naturals is slightly above average and for the price it is a great food. Easy to find also. Kirklands is made by diamond in same factory and the same food, check the label, package and looks are different but that is it. Don't waste your time at Petsmart, send me your area you live in and I will find you a real dog place to go to.Also talk to your local feed store, no matter if you are in the middle of no where or in the middle of the city. Go to horse stores, those people always have dogs and they will know where to send you.

Summary, Iams and Diamond Premium is crap and period. I posted the labels here of both. Corn meal and whole grain ground corn (even worst), then we have brewer's rice (basically ground up rice that is missing nutrients, filler again) and then chicken by product which isn't horrible but I rather have chicken.

Now look at the Diamond Naturals, brown rice (totally different than brewer's rice) and then they have white rice (still better than brewers) the word chicken not chicken by product. Do what you want it isn't my dogs but here is something for thought before you spend your hard earned money. Also look at the amounts you have fed compared to the naturals, another tell tell sign.

Iams

Chicken By-Product Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement,Beta-Carotene, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Flax Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Dried Chicken Cartilage (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), DL-Methionine, Marigold, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

Diamond Premium

Chicken by-product meal, whole grain ground corn, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Diamond Naturals (chicken and rice)

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can I add a question here since someone brought up Blue Buffulo. I have started my dogs on that, since I heard it is the best food offered at PetSmart, I have looked into buying canidae online, but if if Blue Buffulo is a good quality and worth is price (I believe it is more for a big bag of BB. than Canidae) then I will continue on with it. Whats everyones opinion on BB? Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
infinity i looked at that orijen site and the closest store is in dallas and i live close to san antonio do you think i can get ordered for me at petsmart also whats the price

·
Registered
224 Posts
did you look into Amazon.com, they had a good selection and good prices when I last looked.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the help! I read the ingrediants on the BB can to my mother, she feeds her yorkies a prescription food for the one with stomuch problems and the other beneful since she got him at 3 years and he has been on that his whole life. She heard sweet potatos and blueberries and was like "Dogs dont eat that, they are eating better than me!" I will continue with BB, they havent started the dry of it yet, since I am switching them over slowly and they still have cheaper dry food left..before I did my pet food research! :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
ya I did look at the wilderness brand, pretty expensive, but maybe ill try a bag or 2 on them and see how they do!

·
Registered
224 Posts
thanks!! Ya, ive been goin over various foods trying to find a really good one. The blue buffulo I feed now works good for Kallie, cause she is picky about texture and taste. She won't eat the venison and is ify on the beef, but loooves the lamb and salmon.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I have fed diamond and liked it and known people to feed diamond 10 plus years and still swear by it. Only feed diamond naturals, the other stuff is crap they make. For the money it is the best buy with dry kibble.
Yeah I have heard the same thing countless times from those who feed diamond ... if your going to feed diamond go with diamond naturals as it's much better than the other diamond feeds. As far as Iams goes I personally wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ... There are much better feeds out their that would be comparable in price to Iams but much better for your dog. Just a few I like

EVO - Expensive Good stuff

Innova - Owned by Evo a little less costly still a great feed

Taste of the Wild - best value in price good quality feed

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Didnt know if you knew this or not but Taste of the Wild is owned by Diamond.
No actually I didn't .. But I do know companies make different grades of feed some better than others .. I personally have never fed taste of the wild .. But I have heard so many good things about it from people who have it seems to be a very popular feed at a reasonable price and I have looked at the ingredients and based on what I have seen it looks good to me. I feed Innova and Evo but if I ever had to go with a less costly feed it would be taste of the wild based on the great things I have heard about it from so many people.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts