Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else's dogs like to eat ice? Recently I've been putting ice in my dog's water dispenser contraption thingee to keep it cool since I can't get cold water from the faucet. Once they hear the ice maker going from the fridge, they come running.

I think it's pretty funny they like munching on ice.

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Very familiar, LOL. I stick my glass under the ice maker and the second they here it they come running. Mine both love to munch ice and will sit in front of me looking for more. Too funny.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Ever since i heard it can cause muscle spasms which can lead to bloat i have not given my dog ice anymore.
Good advice Stang and good to see you on the board girl!

I have read the same thing. Mine don't get any amounts of ice, I used crushed ice and give them a few chips not equaling even one ice cube between them.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Ever since i heard it can cause muscle spasms which can lead to bloat i have not given my dog ice anymore.
i did not know that!!! good bit of info! thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Interesting about the ice and bloat. I've also heard it but never seen any literature on it. I'll have to take a look today. Good to know.

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
"But according to Dr. Tina Wismer, medical director at the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center, the information is false.

"This is not true," said Dr. Wismer. "Dogs do not bloat from drinking ice water on hot days... They can be given as treats or put in the water bowl. Some behaviorists even recommend freezing toys or treats in ice for dogs to chew on."

Bloat is most commonly seen in deep-chested large-breed dogs, Wismer added, and is caused by food or from a build up of gas. "Either can cause the stomach to rotate and the dog to develop gastric dilatation volvulus (GDV)," she said.

Factors contributing to an increased risk of bloat include "feeding only one meal a day, familial history of bloat, rapid eating, moistening dry foods, elevated feeders, restricting water before and after a meal, dry diet with animal fat in first four ingredients" and sometimes age.

"As you can see there are many things associated with bloat, but not one known cause," she said.

Dr. Michael Tuder, owner and director of four animal hospitals in Hudson County, N.J., concurred, referring to the corgi story as "urban legend."

"Putting ice in your pets water is not known to be harmful," he said. "In fact, after a dog or cat has an anesthetic procedure, we do not allow them to drink water but indeed do let them lick on some ice. If a dog is going to have a problem with ice water then it would have to be linked to another problem with that particular pet."

Problems that are associated with allowing dogs ice, both vets agreed, include potential dental damage and possible lodging within the animal's throat. Both Dr. Widmer and Dr. Tuder urged pet owners to be mindful of their dog's ability to chew the ice given to them. "

source-
The Truth About Ice Water and Dogs - ABC News

Snope.com also says it's false.
snopes.com: Is Ice Water Dangerous for Dogs?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the info Ecko. I didn't think that ice would or could be harmful. After all, it's water.

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Thanks for the read EchoMac, good research. I had read somewhere that too much ice wasn't good for dogs or cats. Figured it HAD to be true cause it was on the internet, LOL!!
Appreciate the input.

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts