Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is a rather touchy subject but i think its worthy of being discussed(im on a lack of sleep, couldnt sleep last night so bear with me) im also watching a jack kevorkian documentary and every time i see it i respect the man more and more. anyways on to the point

would you agree with this first statement?

as animal lovers im sure many of us if not all would take our beloved to get pts if it was chronically ill with something like cancer, or was in alot of pain, just so the animal could go out with dignity and not suffer anymore no matter how much it hurt us.

now with the first statement in mind lets move on to the second statement

if we had a family member who was suffering the same as our beloved animals terminal cancer, chronic pain, ect. would we support them if they thought that being pts was an option for them? or would fight them from doing this with every muscle in our body because its wrong for some one to take their own life, or that humans should have natural deaths?

im not sure how you all stand on this but im sure you can see the double standard that people apply to the subject.

so whats every ones stand point on a medically assisted demise?

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Since I just had to recently put down two of my animals, one of who was in pain and suffering, yes I would totally let a family member do this if that is what they choose to do. I would also hope that when my time came that they would be supportive of me and let me make that decision as well ;). Great post Stoner. Get some sleep bro :D

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I really don't think it's fair that we can do this for animals but we'll let people suffer in horrible pain. I think if your going to go anyway why no be able to go humanely. People should have a choice to do so.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol im thinkin i might do that with in the next hour stupid hypersomnia XD i guess another aspect is people who are completely paralyzed, i cant really comprehend why would any one would continue to let a loved one live like that theres nothing left for them to do its kinda selfish. i'd be bored as heck if i was a veg, i couldnt live like that i'd never have pick of the channel i'd probably be stuck watching soap operas and toddlers in tiaras the rest of my life if i was a veg >_<.

yay like minded people :D tye and krystal you guys are awesome

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
^^^^ I completely agree, wouldn't wanna be a veggie either, please just kill me and get it over with. It bothers me that people would let others suffer, but they do it to their pets everyday.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Ryan and I talked about that the other day. We agreed we wouldn't ever let each other rot in a hospital bed. If either of us gets hurt and ends up brain dead plugs will be pulled. How horrible would it be to be trapped in your body unable to move on.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Krystal you are just too cool, it's very seldom I find people that think the way I do about things like this. Excellent post Stoner for real :D

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here i was thinkin every one was gonna be like "your sick in the head". my uncle had a stroke like 3 or 4 months ago and ended up in the hospital and the hospital may have over looked somethings and he ended up with a clot in his brain or something and he lost brain function well something else happened while under the care of the hospital and he went completely brain dead, so my cousin had to make a decision, a week went by and he hadnt decided before he had to choose my uncle passed. i under stand its hard to loose a family member especially your father but why let him suffer and make yourself suffer knowing that your just prolonging the inevitable and making it potentially worse. the thing is they make the way they help your veg relative pass so horrible that you cant really help but not want them to go that way. the hospital wanted to make sure he was constantly hoped up on morphine then starve him. i dont think thats very appropriate for any human, animal, or creature to go.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Normally I would ignore a post like this, but I've been in this situation,,,on the other side.
Doctors first pronounced me dead, then "not gonna make it" (parents had 'last rites' read by priest),
to "he's gonna be a veggie", and 'he's not gonna walk again...', not gonna come out of coma.
My sister even told me a doctor said "it's up to him if he makes it."

Well,,,they had to brace me while in coma, but uncle said I'd still sit up,,,
I was out of coma in a week. I was soon speaking, and in a month walking.
Next month I was in physical rehab. Next month I was out.
I overcame all that was said by most of the doctors.
The plug could have been pulled on me during the first week, but it wasn't.

But in cases of terminal illness, I'd hate to ever have to make the choice.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I totally agree with allowing people to make the choice if they want to live or die. I do not want to suffer I wont suffer I will end my life when I feel the time is right. Most people have troubles with that type of thinking some are afraid to say it for fear of how others will think of them.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yes touchy subject indeed...that is what living wills are for...I work around chronically ill, bed ridden vegetable people all the time. Sometimes the patient languishing can teach those who are left behind valuable lessons...sometimes the gift is found in the journey and not in the destination

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
wow Eagle, that's a crazy story and so lucky! I am glad they didn;t give up on you.

I think people, who have a voice and their own choice, should be able to make the decision. Pulling the plug is a while other ball game than cancer or MS or some other horrible affliction that people still have a conscious brain and can communicate and not be able to end their misery. Jack also made sure they were in the right mind set, and was never done on anyone he searched out, it was always the people finding him.

and Krystal, make sure you guys have a will that says Ryan has the say over you and vice versa. not sure of you are married, but even if you are married, someone in one of your families may try and fight their decision and it could get nasty.

Think about that poor women who wanted her husband to not allow her on feeding tubes and for years her parents fought in court while the women lived for years and thousands of dollars in bills just to get the courts to agree she could be removed from feeding tubes. could get so nasty so get a will!

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Normally I would ignore a post like this, but I've been in this situation,,,on the other side.
Doctors first pronounced me dead, then "not gonna make it" (parents had 'last rites' read by priest),
to "he's gonna be a veggie", and 'he's not gonna walk again...', not gonna come out of coma.
My sister even told me a doctor said "it's up to him if he makes it."

Well,,,they had to brace me while in coma, but uncle said I'd still sit up,,,
I was out of coma in a week. I was soon speaking, and in a month walking.
Next month I was in physical rehab. Next month I was out.
I overcame all that was said by most of the doctors.
The plug could have been pulled on me during the first week, but it wasn't.

But in cases of terminal illness, I'd hate to ever have to make the choice.
a similar thing happened with my cousin. he got ran over on a motor cycle when he fell off a motorcycle, he died 3 times once on the scene, once more in the helecopter on the way to hospital, then once at the hospital. he was in a coma for 6 months. they said he'd never walk again everything similar to you. but i dont feel that coma and being a vegetable are exactly the same thing if your in a coma you can still have semi responsive movement. people can come out of comas but i've never heard of people walking after being vegetables.

@ames exactly he did care he looked at records and interviewed his patients, he was just kinda crazy when it came to trying his luck with the judicial system

·
Banned
314 Posts
They didn't know how I'd be...I was suppossedly parylized on my right side.
But no, coma and veggie aren't the same thing...
They knew I wasn't a veggie when the first words out of my mouth were profanity, LOL :D

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
lol Eagle is a fighter, glad you are here for sure :D Glad noone even yourself didn';t give up on you. Hugs.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They didn't know how I'd be...I was suppossedly parylized on my right side.
But no, coma and veggie aren't the same thing...
They knew I wasn't a veggie when the first words out of my mouth were profanity, LOL :D
lol glad your strong and pulled through. they also said my cousin would never walk again, then he started trying to walk but still was having trouble, then he turned himself in for the situation where he got pulled over and while he was in jail he got himself in shape and got back to walking full force.

·
Banned
314 Posts
lol Eagle is a fighter, glad you are here for sure :D Glad noone even yourself didn';t give up on you. Hugs.
Easy for you to say...if I'd known how things had been when I "came-back", I'd of stayed on the other side.:sleep: LOL.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ive watched my grandpa recently pass from cancer those few weeks at the end they gave him all sorts of drugs to "help ease the pain" yet none worked , too see someone in that state and know what the outcome is going to be there is no miracle or maybe in some of these cases , its sad more cant be done to allow them to go as they please. We were lucky in a sense to have those last few weeks for goodbyes and he went pretty fast there are some who spend months and years in the pain he was in knowing the outcome is the same I dont know what I would do if a family member needed that help to end it I can only hope if I was in that situation and no hope was anywhere and that amount of pain I would have someone with me to make that decision if need be. I see both sides of this debate though on what people Morally and ethically find wrong with this , there are so many who arent mentally stable or depressed { something alot of people with terminal illness deal with } and may not be in the right mind to make this decision.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts