Go Pitbull Forums banner

Ideas on unnecessary fears?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Xiahko 
#1 ·
Bruno is scared to death of harnesses. I have no idea why,he has been this way since I got him. I have tried different ones even,and he is still scared of them.
I want to get him into weight pull,but if he's scared of a harness,even after he has worn one for a long time,I dunno if it will work. Suggestions?

Here's what I mean.

Sorry for the blurry videos,it was taken with my phone.

#4 ·
When you guys are chillin at nnight you should have the harness ith you easy access so you mess around with it not put on him but play around with it so he sees but doesnt wear yet. Then get bolder and rub it against his fur still dont put it on him praise for staying around keep the sessions short. This is the way i trained the horse to take the blanket and the rug this is the way my horse trainer taught me to do it.

#6 ·
my weight pull dog does the same thing. but once I get it on her shes fine.

I think you should put it on him. then do something he throuroughly enjoys... and maybe just get him to wear it around the house supervised.

Reactions: pitbullmamanatl
#8 ·
I think you should put it on him. then do something he throuroughly enjoys... and maybe just get him to wear it around the house supervised.
I agree with this... tons a praise, food and pets when it's on him. I wouldn't necessarily have him do anything at first with it on, just let him know he gets you sooo happy and excited when he's in it.

Cree was nervous about it at first, we even had to sit on the floor indian style and coo to him like a baby when he had his put on the first time. Reminding him how good he was and how handsome he looked in it lmbo. After he is OK with it being on in the house, make him wear it while doing his favorite thing... cree is chase a ball. After day 2 or 3 of just wearing it, i took him out in the yard and threw a ball for him. Now he gets so excited his little muscles start twitching and he gets all excited and jumpy when i bust out the harness.

Here's a photo of the first day he put on a harness lmao

#7 ·
I Have No Idea, Rocky is like that about anything, and when i was YOUNG (20) i use to get Mad and think (what Kind Of Pitbull is this) I think that when i Forced things on him that it Contributed to his Weirdness....I say Contributed because he Obviously wasnt right from the Start. If this is really the only think your Dog's worried about and it's not a pattern, than I sgree w/the others, maybe some Positive Reinforment once its on and he Mite shake the Fear..IDK.... Ive been Nown to do crazy things with Mine and Put things On ect... to show them its ok, hahahaha.. Wear it around the house when you play w/him, hahahahahah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.