Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if a professional dog therapist can't stop the obvious from
happening, what would you do at the dog park, or say a
stray dog runs up on you while your walking?
will you be ready to stop it once it starts?
please, share some incite as to what one should do in this
situation.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
My insite is not having these dogs together and trying to make them something they are not. I have nothing nice to say I am not a ceaser fan.

They get together you grab collars choke them out and drop them, or if you have a break stick and want to take the time use that.

unbelievably STUPID STUPID STUPID having those dogs together without collars.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Just pinch them behind the neck ;)

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
IMO the lot of them wouldn't even have a clue about simple Pitbull 101. tards

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't understand why CM doesn't carry a break stick seriously why wouldn't anyone who owns a bulldog not have one? It takes a matter of a few seconds to break up a fight with a device that costs under $20.00. The person who leaves their dogs to roam freely all day needs to watch this video LOL ... If no one was there to break that up would have been a dead doggy or two.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I saw that episode.

The only thing ever good to come out of Cesar Milan is his mantra of exercise, discipline, affection.

Everything else is BS and this episode only reinforces the fact that he's an idiot. :)

"This could be a problem."

Wow, and yet you stand by and do nothing? Not even a psst?

·
Registered
600 Posts
If he used a breakstick he would be going against his own methods and it would not look good for him, What? A dog he cant control??

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I always thought he was asking for trouble. You can not take DA out of a Pit Bull. He makes people think it is the way you raise tham that makes a difference.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah he doesn't understand that bulldogs are not PACK dogs his methods may very well work on some breeds but not the APBT. I remember this episode that little blue dog was seriously DA too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if a professional dog therapist can't stop the obvious from happening, what would you do at the dog park, or say a stray dog runs up on you while your walking? will you be ready to stop it once it starts?
please, share some incite as to what one should do in this situation.
I would never take my dogs to a dog park, this is the best way to break up a dog fight:

Pit Bull Rescue Central

Breaking Up A Fight

Pit bulls are terriers and were bred to recognize other dogs as "prey." Simply put, in a fight, the other dog becomes a "rabbit." Terriers grab a hold of their prey and shake. Many pit bulls will instinctively do the same if they get into a scrap with another dog. As a result, breaking up a pit bull fight can be difficult if you don't know what to do, but is easier than other breeds when you do know how to proceed.

The key is not to panic and use the right tools. Timing is important and the quicker you intervene, the better. However, it is necessary to assess the situation before sticking your hands in the middle of two dogs fighting.

Most rumbles can be stopped with a stern "No!" and by quickly pulling the dogs off of each other. If the altercation has escalated into a full blown fight, however, you will need more than your voice to stop the dogs. A water hose or bucket of water might work but in most cases the best tool to break up a pit bull fight is a break stick. No responsible owner should be without one.

We suggest that you practice using the break stick before you may actually have to use it. Examine your dog's mouth while at rest, pull the lips back and find the space behind the back teeth. This is where the break stick is inserted. You then twist the stick to pry the mouth open.

Pit bulls should never go without a collar. Good choices include strong leather collars and heavy duty nylon collars. The collar enables you to get a good grip on the dogs if a fight occurs and pull them apart as soon as the hold is broken.

Remember that a fight may not always be preceded by growling, barking or posturing. One second everything is fine and the next the dogs are going at it. Excitement and external stimulus, such as a squirrel or cat running up a tree, can trigger a fight. A fight may also escalate out of rough-housing, competition over a bone or toy, or attention from a member of the family.

A wagging tail doesn't mean a dog won't fight. In fact, a wagging tail is often a signal of excitement and the faster the tail goes the more excited the dog is. As explained above, intense excitement can trigger a fight.

If the dogs get a hold and two people are available, approach the dogs from the rear, clasp the dog's hind end between your knees, and grasp the dog's collar from behind. It is important to immobilize the dog's hind end. Then insert the break stick in the space between the teeth in the dog's jaw (behind the molars). Twist the break stick gently but firmly in the dog's mouth. You should work on the more aggressive dog, and the other person should be ready to pull on the other dog as soon as the stick breaks the hold.

If you are alone, drag the dogs to something solid, tie one of the them to it, and then proceed with the breaking stick to separate them.

If you follow these procedures carefully, you can stop a fight relatively quickly.
You can order breaksticks through PBRC and the proceeds go to a great charity! Pit Bull Rescue Central

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I saw this episode. I saw that fight right before it was about to happen.
What I don't get,when Cesar saw what was about to go down,why didn't he do anything quicker.
At least it didn't get as ugly as it could have.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Xiahko CM has some good methods but he is not above genetics I think his ego prevents him from seeing that. I saw the episode too that dog was highly DA and I just kept asking myself why why why is he trying to force this dog to get along with other dogs. His ego is writing checks his body can't cash. And sure enough genetics kicked in and CM was left trying to break up a dog fight he was ill prepared for.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I don't understand why CM doesn't carry a break stick seriously why wouldn't anyone who owns a bulldog not have one?
I may not own bulldogs but Dumae is more than her fair share of fight. I use to own break sticks. But now I have no issue dropping a dog.

We couldn't get to a break stick the first time Jeremy ( new BF to my yard) and myself had a dog fight. He grabbed that bitch up by the collar choked her and dropped her faster than anything I have ever seen. I flipped out how dare he do that to my dog!

The after math almost no injury... I have seen this dog shred other dogs in seconds. She had no chance here to do that damage and I since then have had 1 other fight both dogs dropped in seconds with barely any damage to each dog. ( same bitch as well....)

This may seem cruel.. But compared to the damage these dogs can do it is effective.

I am not against break sticks at all. But if you don't have one you better be prepared to do what you have to, and not stupid crap like spraying them with water........

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
LOL or playing tug of war with them hitting them with sticks! I feel comfortable using my hands I have done it before my dogs have never bitten me better not either LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love how they just yank the dogs apart lol! The little pup was basically taking the other dogs lip with it! Ouch! They were really pulling with force too! It was too funny to see them bumble around! It is interesting how all the bulldogs started to join in once the fight started.

This is a prime example of what most don't understand. Bulldogs LIKE to fight! It is fun for them. That being said, I have VERY dog aggressive dogs. I use them for hunting hogs. They all get thrown into the back of a single 4X6 kennel on the back of my ATV trailer. I usually run two black mouth curs, one pit/greyhound mix, one pit/pointer mix and at least two of my pit catch dogs. These dogs are all kenneled together while I am driving, and they all run together when I am hunting.

My best catch dog was CRAZY dog aggressive when she was young. Through intense conditioning I have taught her to behaive. She still is DA, but anytime she starts acting dominant, she immediatly starts looking around for a hammer fist! I don't mess around. I can't have my other dogs getting hurt.

Anyway, I have some funny stories about her though. I was doing some initial training in the hog pens. I thought I was making some progress with her dog aggression. I had one of my cur dogs baying up a hog. I turned my pit loose. She ran in so fast, but instead of catching the hog on the ear she caught the bay dog on the ear and took him down! I had to pry her off and point her towards the hog. My cur was like what the H#lll just happened. That is actually the last time she has done anything like that though. She was just too excited and didn't know where to channel it.

I regularly use a dog park as part of my conditioning routine with young dogs. Anytime I see DA I put a LOT of pressure on them. I don't take older dogs because if she were to fight it could do serious damage to the dogs - and the APBT reputation. I don't think it is a good idea to take an adult pit to the dog park. Even with the best training, they can never be fully trusted - because they LOVE to fight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
"He makes people think it is the way you raise tham that makes a difference."

Maybe I'm just misinterpreting here, But with Pit Bulls it is ALL about how you raise them. Perhaps for DA, your statement may be true, But as you stated it, It seems as though you believe that if a dog is human aggressive, Than it is the dogs fault, as opposed to the human that made it that way?

If i'm misreading, please correct me, But that is just what I pulled out of your post.

I've seen pit bulls raised outdoors on short heavy chains, And I would be afraid to approach them... I've also seen pit bulls raised indoors like kittens and guess how they act? Like kittens.

As for DA, I have never successfully trained an older dog to get along with other strange older dogs, But I have been able to train all my dogs, regardless of age, to accept new members into our household "pack".... But only if these new members are puppies...
I have 4 dogs in my house ranging from 4 months to 4 years old, But each one came in as a puppy and has learned their position in our family hierarchy. Does this mean I don't expect them ever to fight? No, I still keep bitesticks on hand, not because I don't trust my dogs, But because its better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe I'm just misinterpreting here, But with Pit Bulls it is ALL about how you raise them. Perhaps for DA, your statement may be true, But as you stated it, It seems as though you believe that if a dog is human aggressive, Than it is the dogs fault, as opposed to the human that made it that way?

If i'm misreading, please correct me, But that is just what I pulled out of your post.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but we don't live in a Disney movie. There are HA dogs that were raised right. They just have the genetic tendency to be HA. The main problem is they weren't culled when they started showing signs of HA.

I always here people saying things like "it is because the dog was kept on a chain....." Or whatever. That is just not true. MANY game dogs are kept on chains. Most of the time when those dogs are stolen it is by someone who just walked up to them and picked them up. These dogs have been strictly selected to not be HA. A lot of people will purchase dobbies to gaurd their pits.

Anyway, it is true you can make some dogs HA by neglect and abuse. It is also true that some dogs are born with the tendency to be HA. Those dogs need to be culled.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts