Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the small breeds (with big dog syndrome) suddenly become large over night... would we be seeing bans on the Chihuahua, the Pomeranian, the yorkie... you get the idea. When I see the aggression in some of these small breeds it makes me so sick to think they just get away with it.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Yeah, I think that there would definitly be an outcry. I think that because those breeds are small and don't do too much damage when they bite someone, people don't report it. But all hell would break loose when you have 70lb yorkies mauling toddlers and what not.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I'm sure we would. Chi's are nasty little buggers. I've only met a couple over the long years I worked with dogs that would lick your face off.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
HEY HEY Leave Chiwawas alone lol

In all honesty I think it's a couple of things with little dogs. First of, these dogs aren not socialized and their owners are clueless about raising a dog. All they care about is making them a purse accessory. As you know all know any dog that is not raised properly will be unstable and agressive. Not every little dog will react to fear in a agression, some may run away or submit. Chihuahuas aren't little dolls that little kids and adults can poke and bother. THey are dogs and they deserve the same respect a bigger dog gets. So when little kids start bothering the dogs or adults annoy the heck out of them they get what they deserve.

My peanut was not socialized around too many dogs so he is very dog agressive, animal agressive, he loves kids and loves people. Howerver, he doesnt like to be disrespected and he showed one of my wife's aunts that. SHe kept grabbing the dog in the muzzle and I kept telling her not to do it politely several times. WHen she went to leave our house she did it again and she bit her hand and drew blood. Was my 6 pound dog at fault because an idiot human didn't understand rules and respect of the animal? I don't think so, a 6 pound dog needs to bark louder than it is to ward off predators or in this case moron humans.

If you were 5 pounds in a world of giants what would you do? act submissively and show weakness or make a huge fuss to pretend your game so other bigger creatures leave you alone?

Just like we hate being labeled by owning pits we shouldn't label other breeds the same way. I think we can label the owners that ruin the dogs but it is really not the dog's fault. OK I am done :)

PS. All of you can ask Jimmy how loveable Peanut was with him, not with Onyx though lol

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I see a lot of small dogs with fear issues, and that is the root of much of their aggression. The ones that are socialized and trained as any dog should be, though, are usually really cool cats. I have a fanciful dream to one day own one of these itty bitties and train it to do all sorts of cool tricks.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
HAHAHA those pictures are awesome! I'm wicked scared!!! lol

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
David is exactly right. Most of the time, people who own these types of dogs treat them as babies for their whole lives and coddle them. No wonder they think the world revolves around them.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see a lot of small dogs with fear issues, and that is the root of much of their aggression. The ones that are socialized and trained as any dog should be, though, are usually really cool cats. I have a fanciful dream to one day own one of these itty bitties and train it to do all sorts of cool tricks.
haha What breed was that little dog at the Norman show, that your friend had? The one that knew all the tricks and did weight pull. I respect that little dog! haha

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And don't get me wrong, I know people with several small breeds that have good dogs. But also the ones that are little brats. I think it also may be that the fact that they are bred more for size than temperament a lot of times with all the BYB's. I hear small breeds bring the money.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
That would be Pitiful Pearle. She's a rescue Chihuahua. And yeah, she's a cool dog. :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I agree, a lot of it is under socialization, and I've seen a lot of owners pet their dog when it was scared, only reinforcing the behavior. And have you watched America's Funniest Home Videos? There are a ton of videos of people purposefully encouraging aggression, resource guarding, scaring the dogs, and flat out being bad owners, all for a laugh.

I have a Toy Poodle and a Miniature Dachshund, my Toy Poodle was purchased by my grandma years ago when I was little, she raised him with a lot of hitting and punishment. Now that I'm older I have sort of taken over his training and he is a awesome little bugger. Loves people, confident, knows tons of tricks including "sneeze". I'd do sports with him if he didn't have poor structure. And when he can turn the energy knobs up to 100% in a split second.

If we have a new guest, or an old friend comes over he'll start racing around them, jump onto the couch, growl, play bow, bark, and take off. Over and over.(Tazzy, named after Taz the Tasmanian Devil for his zoomies.)

He hates other dogs though.

Before my grandma got my Dachshund he had lived the first 9-12 months of his life in a kennel. He is a tenacious little thing, but is very untrusting of strangers. He had a seizure awhile ago, and ever since he hasn't been the same, he doesn't retain training that well anymore. The vet said it was from the seizure and to keep a close eye on him, he hasn't shown any pain or had one since. He's just odd now.

I'd be worried if a small dog owned by an idiot owner grew large. ;)

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Funny you mention this,I just went to a HUGE dog event today at a local park. I only saw 3 dogs try and kill everything in their path. A Chi,A lab mix and a Yorkie.

I saw TONS of pit bulls,and only 1 was way hyper(and I think DA) and should have not been there.

I hear some apt are starting to ban chi's though. there are some in my area that have banned pugs and bull dogs....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts