Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came into a near situation last summer of nearly being attacked by a loose pit bull right outside my apartment! It was weird because there are never loose dogs in my complex, or even in the neighborhood. Some of you may have heard the story but I'll tell it again. It was a huge wake up call to me to never trust a stray dog!

Ok so I was taking Helena outside to go potty. I had her leash on and opened the back glass... at this time I was training her to "wait" before exiting an open door. (its a good thing she was listening) So outside I see this gorgeous dark red brindle male pit bull. He looked to be about Helena's size, more muscular, and younger I'd say less than a year. He probably weighed less than 50lbs he was very skinny... and looked in poor condition. I remember though how beautiful he was none the less... and no doubt about it... a pit bull.

Anyway so this dog comes trotting up to my sliding glass door, I closed it quickly. Helena and him went nose to nose on either side of the glass. Helena growled a deep and low growl. She has NEVER growled at a dog upon meeting, even to this day. I called my boyfriend "look at this pit!!!" I told him to put Helena in the bathroom and that I was going out to try to catch him, he had a collar so I wanted to see if there were tags.

When I got out the dog had run off behind another building. I slowly walked toward the direction he went and called "here boy here boy" in the sweet high pitched voice I always use with dogs. He turned and looked at me and I said "here boy! good boy!" He looked interested and started to jog towards me and half way to me his entire look change and he snarled and came running full speed barking and snarling teeth bared.

I WAS SCARED TO DEATH!! I was out there alone. I had on shorts and a tank top and the dog was coming right for my legs. I remained as calm as possible, I knew better than to run or make any sudden movements. I just pivoted on my foot and turned my body away from his... the last thought that went through my mind was "I know how hard pit bulls can bite this is going to SUCK" and I closed my eyes. At the very instant my boyfriend came running outside and I think made some loud noise I dont remember. But the dog immediately turned and ran. I mean this all happened in a matter of like 30 seconds! I was so shook up.

I debated on what I should do.. if I should call A/C or not... if I should report a loose dog, a loose PIT BULL... that I was nearly attacked by a loose dog.. what would I do if they asked for a description?

I chickened out... I never called and reported anything. I couldn't bare any unnecessary attention hitting my complex in regards to pit bulls.. as my own girl lives here under another breed name.... and I didn't want to end up on the news... in one of those stories of a "near pit bull attack" And if I had just given a description of the dog and they found him.. it would still be reported as a pit bull.

What would you have done?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the truth shall set you free!

I respect you very much, I read your posts often and just today I was checking out your rewards and contributions.

... and because I do, I am going to give you exactly what you want. Not only a truthful opinion, but a polite and respectful scolding for many a lot of irresponsible things you did that day. I think, deep down you know the things you did wrong and I truly respect you even more for having the maturity to admit your mistakes and even be honest about the incident.

I am no dog expert, but my advice is just as valid in this situation as anybody else here.

That day, you acted in a way that contradicts everything I've noticed about you since I became a member.

You are a bright young woman

- Bright enough to know better than to go after a stray dog ( making you a dog owner does not make you experienced in this, you went out there in the wrong manner, ill - equipped, not supervised )

You are a woman whose actions strive toward the goal of having APBTs recognized as a exemplary dog breed that is misunderstood -

If you had gotten hurt, all the educating you've been doing to people, all the knowledge you have been sharing about the breed would have completely gone into reverse in the eyes of many people you put such an effort to enlighten about APBTs. Instead of being that girl with the great pitbull dogs, you would have been that girl who got bitten and mauled by a pitbull, soon enough the story would have flasely spread to that girl who got bitten and mauled by her own pitbull.

You are a caring, responsible person who above her love of dogs, sincerely cares about the entire world. -

... it would have been the responsible thing to do to report this so nobody else gets hurt.

You are freakin smart, I could tell that. You do care tremendously about Pits, everybody here knows that, and from what I can clearly see, your a good hearted person.

The crucial part about life is learning from our mistakes, you wouldn't be talking about this if you hadn't. So I can't judge you, I can only judge your actions on that day... and I doubt you disagree with me.

As for the question about what would I have done...
That's a no brainer, I would have done the right thing and called authorities, I think most people here would have.

Yes I would report it as a pitbull if it were a pitbull and I was 100% sure it was. Your reporting so you could help them identify and catch an HA animal from hurting others. It would be responsible to descrie it as best you could. Our job here, is to be truthful about the breed, not perpetuate lies, I though that's what we were fighting... lies.
I grew up in a " No SNITCHIN' " world, so of course it would be hard to call authorities over anything, but I'm an adult now, and I have to look out for others.

..hope you don't hate me now, because I respected you so much, and still do

... actually more now because of your honesty.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Chanklas

PS

let me guess... that day you went running after the pit... you were wearing sandals as well.... lol.

Please dont ever do that again, I just started to get to know you, your cool people. Stcik around for a while.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol I don't remember.. I probably was wearing flip flops.

Thank you for your honest reply. I too in return enjoy reading your posts and respect your opinion. You are right about all the above! And I did learn my lesson that day about approaching stray dogs. The biggest things that failed me that day was my big heart for animals and wanting to help the dog... and having too much faith that pit bulls are not HA.. well they aren't supposed to be anyway! And I am guilty of not always thinking and acting on impulse... I am working on those! lol But thanks for keeping the faith in me. :)

And even now... I still don't fear pit bulls.. but I do fear the person who bred and raised particular dogs and the ability they have to make that dog into a bad dog. That's the one thing you can't trust. I wasn't mad at the dog... I was mad at the person who made him that way. He obviously had an owner somewhere who didn't give a crap about him. And a breeder somewhere who had no business breeding.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I would have called it a MUTT not a pitbull, but then again AC sees a muscular dog, or any mixed dog actually and automatically label it pitbull lol I agree with what you did, that dog could have been a poodle but if it wasn't raised properly or bred right it could have displayed the same level of agression. At the end it would have brough negative attention to the breed like always and specially since you own one at that location. I think what you did was right...

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have called it a MUTT not a pitbull, but then again AC sees a muscular dog, or any mixed dog actually and automatically label it pitbull lol I agree with what you did, that dog could have been a poodle but if it wasn't raised properly or bred right it could have displayed the same level of agression. At the end it would have brough negative attention to the breed like always and specially since you own one at that location. I think what you did was right...
Thanks for your reply.. but like I said... even a dumbie could tell this dog was a "pit bull" and to my eyes he didn't appear at all to be mixed.. though he might have been.. you never know.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
I don't know what I would do if a pit ever bit me. I guess I'd kill it & never report the bite.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
When I got bit I did report it as what it was. Although it made me sad to do so when they asked the breed I had to tell the truth.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
hahaha betty. i dunno. scary that a dog that came at you was left to run around tho :( what if his next person he saw was a little person playin outside the open door of a mommy too busy to see a naughty dog? i dunno why i think that way but yeah. i love dogs but even my love for mine and the breed doesn't forgive the bad behavior that some are prone to. i hear you on the bad breeding and bad ownership but safety needs to be first and protecting others with your information. i woulda called him in :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
My neighbor's pit tried coming after me a few weeks ago. Luckily I had my husky outside and he tackled the pit to the ground. We didn't report it to the police but my landlord did. We built a wood fence and make sure that my dogs don't get out and the other dog can't get in.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I wanted to add something.

I think if you lie about something or don't report it. It kinda affects credibility. I look at it this way. If people know I will lie about something how do they know when I tell them good things about the breed that I'm not lying?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sadly I agree no matter what you speak the TRUTH... would you want someone else experiancing what we go through with our breed with theirs because we lied? Its not okay to bring negative attention to a breed that doesn't deserve it. We strive against BSL why spread it? And if I had 100% certainty! it was a pit bull than I would say that. But again agree with Nina you don't run after a stray you have no idea how stable or unstable a dog could be.. especially a thin one that could be hungry.. In my opinion I would have called and reported it as what I knew it to be and if I had doubts I would say a stray is wondering around the area and I can't possitively Identify the breed and describe it as what I saw.. jmo

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah well guys.. obviously I still feel like I could have done something more! As this was nearly a year ago. I just really feared the repercussions of bringing up a "loose pit bull" in the "upper class neighborhood" because the neighborhood my apt is in... is a nice one. I have seen on our local news many times stories of "loose pit bulls" when there were no bites or attacks involved.. they even report on pit bulls attacking other animals.. not even humans. I felt I was caught in a "darned if I do, darned if I don't situation."

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ive never been in a situation like this. But i know if a dog ever comes after me, and i fear for my life, im gonna make sure i get ahold of it first and break its jaw.

Sorry if this offends people, but im not getting mauled if i can do something about it.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive never been in a situation like this. But i know if a dog ever comes after me, and i fear for my life, im gonna make sure i get ahold of it first and break its jaw.

Sorry if this offends people, but im not getting mauled if i can do something about it.
I kinda went "deer in the headlights" but in all seriousness that dog could have taken me down pretty swiftly... I am a pretty small lady.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Interesting thread. It puts you in a difficult situation because on one hand an obviously HA APBT is running loose which should really be PTS and on the other hand you don't want to bring negative attention to the breed.

If in doubt tell the truth. Sorry this is a slight threadjack. I had a situation a few months ago where I spotted a nice red APBT roaming loose near where I live. I pulled my car over and he came right over, licking my hand friendly as anything. Unfortunately I was on the way to work and I didn't have time to mess around trying to find where he lived. He had no collar on so he had no tags or anything. All I could do was leave him there and call the ranger (AC) to see if they could pick him up. They asked what type of dog he was and I told them but made sure to tell them he was extremely friendly.

Now the thing is I live in a state where APBTs have been banned and I didn't want this dog to get put down so I asked what would happen to him if they found him. The ranger turned out to be really cool and said "I'd say he was a staffy..."

So I guess my point is that as long as you made it clear that you don't hold the breed responsible I see no problem with reporting it.

Reactions: reddoggy

·
Registered
505 Posts
If any dog including pitbulls gets loose from someones home and is in my yard then thats one thing. But if that dog displays human aggression(out to kill) to anybody I know that dog will not make it back to the yard it came from. I've fixed a problem like this before. I won't report, I'll just fix the problem.
I don't believe in killing peoples dogs but I will if I have to.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If I got attacked by ANY dog......hmmmm......i would simply report a dead dog on the street. A pack of dogs on the other hand? Someone might report a mauled man......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts