Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley has an ear irratation/infection and the vet gave me three drops/ointment to put in his ear. He doesnt like ti every much and during the last step of the prcoess he started to snap at us. i understand why he did it, one because we were cornering him and 2 because we are putting liquid into his ears. So because he nipped at us i had to go out and buy a muzzle(the one thing im totally against with all my heart). Im in tears writing this...i feel so bad. Now im wondering if he is going to continue to nip when he doesnt want something done or like something. Has anyone ever had any experience with this kinda stuff before?? He is perfectly fine now...but im just worried. And im kinda annoyed that i have to come down to using a muzzle. Any help or insight to my situation i would apprecaite....im a nervous reck! :'(

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
First off how many of you were trying to put the stuff in his ears? I don't like whne people help me do stuff with my dogs as they act different. Take your dog put him between your legs like your riding a horse hold on to him with your knees grab ahold of the ear and put some stuff in them rub the ear down adn let him go. After a few minutes call him back rub the ear so he gets use to you doing this. I would avoid the muzzle at all cost.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
any animal in pain can act out of characture there is a reason vets and shelters use the equipment they do muzzles, poles ect . he just isnt happy right now and you cant blame him for acting out its his way of saying ouch { but correction should be mad eto let him kno it isnt acceptable if he bites or nips}. using a muzzle in this case isnt cruel you are protecting yourself and him at the same time from added stress. Just watch if you have kids around him right now while he is in pain you dont want them grabbin his ears n settin him off, once the infection heals work on touching his ears so he dont associate that activity with pain. Poor baby give him lots of love.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was me and my boyfriend that were doing this. He is used to both of us so that is why we both did it. He also helps me by petting him while i do all the hard stuff. I just put the muzzle on him and put the ointment in his ears...his pupils got huge when we did it, like he was going to snap but because the muzzle was on he didnt. When i touch his ears normally he is okay...he just doesnt like liquid in his ears. This is awful!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
any animal in pain can act out of characture there is a reason vets and shelters use the equipment they do muzzles, poles ect . he just isnt happy right now and you cant blame him for acting out its his way of saying ouch { but correction should be mad eto let him kno it isnt acceptable if he bites or nips}. using a muzzle in this case isnt cruel you are protecting yourself and him at the same time from added stress. Just watch if you have kids around him right now while he is in pain you dont want them grabbin his ears n settin him off, once the infection heals work on touching his ears so he dont associate that activity with pain. Poor baby give him lots of love.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

good post angel...i do believe i'll send u some of my pos rep :)

·
parasite killer
518 Posts
Well, I would like you to know that this happens. I have a dog named Ice, he hurts his feet all of the time-slammin on the breaks when chasing stuff. He's had stitches on his pads. He doesn't like his feet touched now, at all.The only time I can touch them is, A. when he hurts his foot, thats how I know its hurt aside from blood, or limping, he'll actually let me. B. When he needs nails clipped. My fiance has to hold him on his lap, and cover his eyes-he don't like to see were clipping his nails. He doesn't bite or nip, he growls and jumps away.

Its so bad with his feet, that the vet had to put him to sleep just to look at his foot the last time he tore or cut his pad. I can bandage them afterward without help, or sleeping meds.

My puppy Kaos, whos not really so much a puppy at 14mths, has allergies and gets ear infections. He hates the drops for his ears-thank goodness he doesn't nip or growl. He tucks tail and bows head and runs like heck! But I get him anyway, praising him the entire time I'm messing with his ears and I make sure he knows he's getting a cookie when he's done. I don't muzzel my dogs, but I have had to at the vet-they hate the vet. If you have to do it to avoid injury, it is a good thing for you and him.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I think you have been given some good advice here. One of our dogs had a really bad ear problem once too. Mack Truck, our 130lb american bulldog. We did as My Mikado says, ride him like a horse. He would wiggle and squirm cause of the pain im sure, but he never snapped. We would always tell him he was a good boy and he always got a cookie after. He got a taste for cookies and would lay down for us and let us do his drops by the end :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this bad that he is nipping? It seems like none of you have had ur dogs nip before which makes me nervous even more so. I don't want the nippng to continue, I don't think it will but I'm just worrying too much! I've had one hell of a day and this just made me it worse.i

·
Registered
184 Posts
My dog hates having her ears dicked with, but she's never nipped. She also ran through some briars and had a hole ripped open on her chest, like where I could see her innards, and never "nipped" while I was looking at it.

I've never had one of my dogs snap at me, but one of our old ones snapped at my dad and he choked the thing out. I'm not recommending that, but the dog never snapped at him again, lol.

As for me, my dog would only snap once, then I would severely punish it, if it did it again I would euthanize it, but that's me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is this bad that he is nipping? It seems like none of you have had ur dogs nip before which makes me nervous even more so. I don't want the nippng to continue, I don't think it will but I'm just worrying too much! I've had one hell of a day and this just made me it worse.i
I was just wondering, do you make it a habit when your dog is NOT sick to touch his feet, ears, mouth, etc. I personally believe this is VERY important to practice so when your dog is sick you don't have to fight him. Just thought I would put it out there. If you haven't been doing it I would make it a habit. Touching his ears can include cleaning them, maybe use the muzzle until he's used to it. Generally dogs who are used to this will be a lot better for the vet too. I wouldn't feel bad about the muzzle, it is for your safety and that's important. :)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Nipping when hurt happens. Like one poster said, did you make it a practice to man handle your dogs from when they're young. In my experience this helps a lot. I would still have put him in his place, so he doesn't get used to it. This isn't close to a put to sleep action. Now don't go lettin' kids tug on his ear while he's hurting. An ounce of prevention!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I make a habit of touching his ears mouth feet...he is always good about it. But I never stuck my finger in his ear! I know it hurts him and I tjink I may try it alone tomorrow with no muzzle first to see what happens. But I don't think this is a reason to put him down. And honestly that's the last thing from my mind...he is in pain so I know why he did nip. If it was any other circumstance I would understand but he is sick

·
Registered
43 Posts
enter action with any dog will change when he or she is sick. when a dog snaps at is owner 9 times out of 10 it is fear. there is no reason to be upset when you use a muzzle or be scared to use one. as I use one when ever I feel the need. you cant baby your dogs they are just like children. they can be the best in the world untill its time for them to do something they dont want to do. use common sence grow someballs or dont own an animal or have children. I know this sounds cold but children and dogs are pack animals once they no there boundries and know you are incharge you can do anything to them. yes you can and will feel bad about haveing to do things to them but dont let them see you crying or feel bad or they will never have a good feeling about you there are alot of things people need to learn about dogs.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Of course I have been snapped at and bitten when working on a dog I just don't find the need to use a muzzle I think they make the dog even more fearful of what is going to happen to them and they might react after you have taken the muzzle off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes i understand what you are talking about but to be affraid of your own dog Is just simply not something anyone should be. any dog at a vet in a strange place will react in a simple way scared any dog in pain will react in the same way. use the muzzle for what you need most dogs will come down with in ten minutes of petting reasureing the dog that you are not going to hurt him or her one way to relax the dog is to rub him be tween is eyes from forhead to the stop where the muzzle starts. you can and will relax the dog if not put him or her to sleep if done long enough. holding the down or in place with the muzzel on will only cause more discomfert and the idea for the dog to want to protect its self. good luck

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Oh dear, my Bruno is having ear trouble at the moment too,and I to will have to most likely give him ear drops.

However,when I got him from the shelter,he was VERY sick,and I had to pry his mouth open to pour meds into him,and he didn't so much as resist.
He was also given a shot from the vet,and didn't even notice cause he was munching on treats.

Have you tried treating him,while giving him the meds?

I dunno, it could work.

Another way to calm the dog down,is to rub his chest,and speak to him in a soothing voice. It helps Bruno to calm down when he's over excited.

Make sure to use a key calming word,like relax,or settle....Sooner or later, your dog will register that with the soothing voice and chest rubshe use to receive,and calm down.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
How far are you sticking your finger in his ear? You could be hurting him severely. It's possible the eardrum is perforated. I would take the dog back to the vet. Have them prescribe oral antibiotics. If his ears are so bad they need lots of cleaning have the vet put him under and thoroughly clean them. That should take care of the infection. After he feels better work with him on allowing you to safely handle his ears. Don't put anything down his ear canal. Touch ears and give treats.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He was good today. I did put the muzzle on while I did it but he was much better. It wasn't me putting my finger in his ear that bothered him, it was the ointment that he doesn't like. I make sure I praise him and give him treats but during the time of giving the meds he doest want to know about a treat. So right before I give him one and after I give him a buch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks...yes he got much better(im assuming its because its not as painful as it originally was). But i do still use the muzzle just to be on the safe side for myself and for him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts