Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created a 'loose dog' problem problem.

There are 2 fenced and gated public areas adjacent to each other near my home which get very little use. One is just a large undeveloped field, the other has manicured lawns, shade trees, walking path, benches. Early morns or just before dusk, I use the field w/ our dogs. Close the gates, tie the locks w/ a slip not, ( to get peoples attention in case they don't see us) and let em run around flat out.
Some people w/ a little fru-fru dog, seeing my dogs running, decided to use the field we were in instead of the park, undid the tie and came in w/ their dog while I was waving them to 'stop'. Would anyone who is thinking do that? I'd have been happy to leash them if they gave me a minute.
My dogs were about a hundred yards from me, and very curious about the new dog, refused to come, and ran to check it out. One of them picked up their dog and held it over head while mine were jumping up to greet it, zero aggression thank God. Even so, they looked scared enough to soil themselves.
I got there pretty quick, and grabbed my dogs ....but my hundred yard time's not getting me on the Olympic team.
I accepted some smart mouthing from them, but couldn't bring myself to apologize, all I could think of saying would have been provocative.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I hate people who automatically think that every dog is a friendly dog and they can ust let their's run around willy-nilly. Ugh. Just because someone has their dog out in public doesn't mean it's a dog-friendly dog.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Joe, I've done the same thing as you pretty much exactly how you explained. I used to frequent a dog park with my boy that had 3 fenced areas. 1 really big one and 2 smaller ones. The small ones never got use, so I brought my boy in there to play. After about 30 mins, a couple people with their 2 pitties and rottie started coming into our area when they could have used the other small one.

I just stopped them real quick and asked them to give me 5 mins to leave. It could have been ugly had they just kept coming in.

Edit: just for clarification, I USED to go to that dog park. After that close call, I have found a small, fenced in little league baseball field that's actually closer to my house that I use. Pretty much deserted in the morning :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, I've done the same thing as you pretty much exactly how you explained. I used to frequent a dog park with my boy that had 3 fenced areas. 1 really big one and 2 smaller ones. The small ones never got use, so I brought my boy in there to play. After about 30 mins, a couple people with their 2 pitties and rottie started coming into our area when they could have used the other small one.

I just stopped them real quick and asked them to give me 5 mins to leave. It could have been ugly had they just kept coming in.

Edit: just for clarification, I USED to go to that dog park. After that close call, I have found a small, fenced in little league baseball field that's actually closer to my house that I use. Pretty much deserted in the morning :)
It's hard to find space in a city that's little used ( and safe). I've seen people use the park space as early as 6: 30 AM recently...guess the heat gets them out doors...and then there's the homeless.

I hate people who automatically think that every dog is a friendly dog and they can ust let their's run around willy-nilly. Ugh. Just because someone has their dog out in public doesn't mean it's a dog-friendly dog.
yeah, a lot of people around here seem to think of their little dogs as accessorizes, fashion statements..they don't seem to be aware of the possibilities of dog behavior. BTW, I once knew someone orig from Okemus...never saw reference to it before.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
wow. did they completely ignore you? or did they just not hear you? either way they should have been more aware.
i'm a teacher/coach so i have access to our football field and we go nuts out there. but a friend of mine uses public tennis courts. concrete isn't ideal but it's enclosed and perfect for throwing a ball around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow. did they completely ignore you? or did they just not hear you? either way they should have been more aware.
i'm a teacher/coach so i have access to our football field and we go nuts out there. but a friend of mine uses public tennis courts. concrete isn't ideal but it's enclosed and perfect for throwing a ball around.
They ignored me...late teens...smartalecy stage I guess.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
we also used tennis courts when we lived in portland they had the ones with 2 right next to each other in the same fenced area.

try a padlock with a sign "rough dogs at play" if they dont get the hint with that grab the stick :stick:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sad part of the story is if something happened it would have been your fault, or at least that is what everyone would say once they heard the breed of dog.

You should make a sign with big letters letting people know that they should call you before coming into the field to leash your dog. That way if anything does ever happen at least you can point out that you had warnings on the gate.

Glad nothing happened though :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sad part of the story is if something happened it would have been your fault, or at least that is what everyone would say once they heard the breed of dog.

You should make a sign with big letters letting people know that they should call you before coming into the field to leash your dog. That way if anything does ever happen at least you can point out that you had warnings on the gate.

Glad nothing happened though :)
we also used tennis courts when we lived in portland they had the ones with 2 right next to each other in the same fenced area.

try a padlock with a sign "rough dogs at play" if they dont get the hint with that grab the stick :stick:
A sign's not a bad idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts