Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first experience with the pitbull prejudice today..... Well I'll start with this, thank goodness I wasn't around. my boyfriend and I took Bentley to a friend's house and we were all outside, instead of having him running loose or on his short leash we put him on a 15 ft leash so he could walk around. We'll two women walked up (related to the people's house we were at) and said "is that a pitbull?" and when my boyfriend replied yes she said "Kill him now"

WTF!

evidently her baby "was almost killed" by a "pit" she was ignorant and from what i gathered it was all her fault...

FIRST OF ALL, 1. what was her baby doing this close to a dog she doesn't know 2. what the he** did my dog do? of course Bentley was just smiling so big and being just as friendly as he always is....

Sorry I just had to rant, the first experience is just hitting hard with me. I'm so glad i didn't hear this woman say that. my boyfriend was so shocked that he couldn't even defend Bentley b/c of how rude the woman was.:mad:

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Get used to it is all I have to say. The majority of cases involving pit bulls attacking children stem from irresponsible parents who do not supervise the interaction between dog and child. Irresponsible owners who do not supervise children with a dog (of any breed) are setting his or her dog up to fail. That kind of irresponsibility put dogs in inappropriate situations where they might feel a certain type of way react. Children can be annoying to a dog (trust Bray tests Bobo but he could care less...He won't even open his eyes lol)) The fact of the matter is any dog, regardless of breed or type, can be vicious and dangerous if its owner-the greatest determining factor in its behavior-does not assume proper responsibility when caring for the animal.I don't know what happened in this lady's situation as it could have been an off leash dog who attacked her kid but that brings it right back to... ding ding ding... IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just irks me b/c it could have been a different breed and she wouldn't have said "kill him now" before even introducing herself... I'm so glad Bentley just looked up at her with his bil ole head and smiled.... just a downer... if you took a chihuahua and sized it up about ten times it would be worse than APBTs.... I knew it would come eventually just didn't expect it to be this harsh....

·
Banned
119 Posts
a coworker saw a picture of my pup and asked is that a pitbull and when I said yes she said he should be put down and that if she ever saw me walking my dog she would call the cops and say my pup bit her so they would put him down!!!!! I was shocked and thought since Ive known her for years she was joking then she went on a tirade about pitbuls being bred to attack black people and since I was black/puertorican that my pup would certainly turn on me and attack me, and then 15 minutes later asked to borrow my laptop and I politely responded you insult my dog then me by saying you would actually tell a lie to the authorities in order to basically kill my puppy and now you have the audacity to ask if you can borrow my laptop ???? No you may not and I would prefer if you would please not speak to me ever again unless it is on a professional level as I find you quite ignorant and offensive . just to show how dum this lady is as she walked away she said you probably stole your laptop anyway you blankity blank blank. In which I replied at least I have a laptop . Pits get such an unfair shake it just gets my goat

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Yup, got to learn to deal with it. I find using very scientific terms and big words great for making someone feel stupid about what they said.

We even get this with my German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix. "Oh, good thing he has lab or that baby would probably be dead."

"Does common sense elude your mind? Or are your thoughts absolutely ludicrous and you cannot determine which is proper since they're all lacking any kind of knowledge?"

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
We don't know the circumstances surrounding the attack on her baby, but when a tragedy like this happens, it is natural to place the blame solely on the attacker.

Who else is she going to blame? The dog's owner or maybe even herself? No, she's going to blame the dog who did this to her baby. And when she sees other dogs that look similar, that anger and those fears rise to the surface because of the negative experience she had. Does this make it right? Absolutely not, but it is to be expected.

In a perfect world we would be able to educate everyone and get them to understand that it is the owners responsibility to control their dog around people and other animals, and that the vast majority of these dogs are the sweet and lovable companions that we all know and love. But that's not realistic, some people are forever going to look at pit bulls and see killers. We can just do our best to show our dogs in the best light possible, and hope that maybe we can change a few minds in the process.

I adopted my dog Gracie less than a month after my neighbor's niece had her face partially destroyed by a pit bull. You can imagine my reluctance to introduce her to them. But to my surprise, they met her with an open mind (though I could sense a small amount of fear at that first meeting) and while they told me they would never own "one of those dogs", they get it that it was that dog's owner who was responsible for the attack and in fact that dog had attacked someone once before and the owner still allowed it to be around the kids. Some people get it , and some people never will.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We don't know the circumstances surrounding the attack on her baby, but when a tragedy like this happens, it is natural to place the blame solely on the attacker.

Who else is she going to blame? The dog's owner or maybe even herself? No, she's going to blame the dog who did this to her baby. And when she sees other dogs that look similar, that anger and those fears rise to the surface because of the negative experience she had. Does this make it right? Absolutely not, but it is to be expected.

In a perfect world we would be able to educate everyone and get them to understand that it is the owners responsibility to control their dog around people and other animals, and that the vast majority of these dogs are the sweet and lovable companions that we all know and love. But that's not realistic, some people are forever going to look at pit bulls and see killers. We can just do our best to show our dogs in the best light possible, and hope that maybe we can change a few minds in the process.

I adopted my dog Gracie less than a month after my neighbor's niece had her face partially destroyed by a pit bull. You can imagine my reluctance to introduce her to them. But to my surprise, they met her with an open mind (though I could sense a small amount of fear at that first meeting) and while they told me they would never own "one of those dogs", they get it that it was that dog's owner who was responsible for the attack and in fact that dog had attacked someone once before and the owner still allowed it to be around the kids. Some people get it , and some people never will.
Very well put.

I don't seem to get a lot of negative comments. But maybe it's where I live.
My wife says its because I can be intimidating; idk about that! :)
But I do notice when I walk one of the dogs. People don't seem to want to come over and ask to pet the dog like they use to in the past. But I actually like that! :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i felt better later on in the day and we took him with us to get some ice cream. we were sitting at a table outside eating and every family out there came over as they were leaving and asked to pet him. They all said it was a beautiful breed and Bentley was very polite so I feel better knowing that even thought we had one person say a negative comment, it was over ruled by the eight good ones later on in the day :)

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
THe majority of people just know what they are told or hear, very few do research on their own, it takes to much work.

Until the media gets on our side and portrays the breed for what it really is, highlight the problems for what they are as majority ownership problems, we all need to get used to this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.