Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had her now for 10 months and I just simply cannot get her potty trained. We're doing crate training and she does fantastic in the crate - she can hold it for 12 hours in the crate. Outside of the crate, if I'm not watching her 24-7, she can have an accident even 2-3 hours after taking her out

I don't know what I can do - I give her great treats immediately after peeing and I switch it up with different treats that she loves. I always give her praise and some times play immediately after peeing.

Is it possible for a dog to never be potty trained? Is this just a question of terrible intelligence or what? When she sleeps on our bed overnight, she can hold it forever (she loves the bed and never wants to leave). Yet when she's walking around the house, she has an accident 2 hours after I take her out. Am I not giving her enough praise or what's going on here? I took her to the vet and vet says she's perfectly healthy. I ran all the tests and she's perfectly healthy. She seems to be very intelligent in our other forms of play and training. What am i doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
You haven't learned her tell yet. Most dogs will give an indication that they need to go. Geach walks in circles when he needs to go. Bruno stops playing with toys and starts sniffing the floor and trotting around quickly. Once you learn that, you'll know when she's gotta go. Until then, crate her if you can't pay attention to her and when she's out watch for that behavior change.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Welcome to the forum bigDave17. Every dog can be trained to go outside as long as there isn't something physically wrong with it.
Right now, your girl just doesn't know that she can't go in the house when ever she has to. As EckoMac stated above, watch for and read her body language. Also, you are doing good as far as praising her for going outside. When she pees in the house and you catch her in the act, give her a firm "NO" and take her outside to the designated spot for her to go . Keep bringing her to the same spot outside so she learns that when she is there it's time to pee.
One last suggestion is to take her out more often until she learns. As a puppy I would bring mine out every half hour to teach them. You know that she can hold it in the crate or while on your bed but she don't know that she can't go in the house. Once the light bulb goes on and she realizes what you want she will do it.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You haven't learned her tell yet. Most dogs will give an indication that they need to go. Geach walks in circles when he needs to go. Bruno stops playing with toys and starts sniffing the floor and trotting around quickly. Once you learn that, you'll know when she's gotta go. Until then, crate her if you can't pay attention to her and when she's out watch for that behavior change.
can you explain why she can hold it for forever in the crate but can't hold it for 3 hours walking around the house?

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
It has nothing to do with holding it. She doesn't know that she is not suppose to go in the house. Please read my post above, it explains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has nothing to do with holding it. She doesn't know that she is not suppose to go in the house. Please read my post above, it explains.
she doesn't pee in front of me ever

she only pees in house when I'm not there, which means I have to watch her like a hawk but how long will this go on? I can't do this for 10 years

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
A 10 month old puppy should be house broken already. If there is nothing physically wrong with her, UTI for example, she just needs training. If in doubt, bring her into your vet and have her checked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A 10 month old puppy should be house broken already. If there is nothing physically wrong with her, UTI for example, she just needs training. If in doubt, bring her into your vet and have her checked.
I've taken her to the vet and did a million tests. Vet says she's perfectly healthy

I don't know what else I can do. I crate train her all the time, give her multiple different treats when she pees outside. When she poops, I try to give her treats/praise/immediately play with her the way she loves (she loves running around)

is this just a question of intelligence or what? I don't understand what I need to do to teach her not to potty inside. She's a pitbull lab mix... 2 intelligent breeds (although she's prolly 3/4th pitbull)

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
BigDave, I did a search for you and found THIS link. Does anything ring true for your household? Hope it helps.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigDave, I did a search for you and found THIS link. Does anything ring true for your household? Hope it helps.

Joe

I'm doing just about everything the website recommends

I feed her in morning and evening
take her out every 3-4 hours roughly (issue with this is some days we both work and then she's in crate for 6 hours but she never pees in crate and that's only twice a week)
she pees and poops on grass in about the same area everyday
no changes in people in house
she's super super healthy

what it comes down to is she has accidents when we're not watching her and when she's not in crate. That means we have to watch her 24-7 or leave her in crate...but how long can I do this for? and why is she not learning? will she never learn?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I've seen this not house trained a lot. Excuse my boldness most of it has to with you. When a puppy first wakes up I take them out. AFTER they do there morning pee then I bring them in ill feed them and after about 10 minutes I bring them back out. They usually take there dump. I praise them.. If they go in the house I let them know its wrong. Ive used this method for all my puppies and I only raise one at a time the pitbull I have now is 5 years old and was house train by 4 months old if not sooner. Repetition is the key. Thats my way I hope you find a solution most pit bulls I've known are very smart and want to learn and there treats good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello, I've seen this not house trained a lot. Excuse my boldness most of it has to with you. When a puppy first wakes up I take them out. AFTER they do there morning pee then I bring them in ill feed them and after about 10 minutes I bring them back out. They usually take there dump. I praise them.. If they go in the house I let them know its wrong. Ive used this method for all my puppies and I only raise one at a time the pitbull I have now is 5 years old and was house train by 4 months old if not sooner. Repetition is the key. Thats my way I hope you find a solution most pit bulls I've known are very smart and want to learn and there treats good luck

I have her in the crate overnight most nights (sometimes she sleeps with me). She almost always takes a dump first thing in the morning - worst case scenario, I feed her and then take her out again in 45 minutes and she poops

the problem is if I'm not watching her constantly or have her in crate constantly, she has accidents in the house all the time - maybe several times a week. I don't know what else I can do?

Do I punish her when she has accident in the house? I don't know...I feel like I'm following everybody's advice and I'm still not getting results. Yesterday I took her out at 8 am, she took a dump and then had diarrhea in the house at 10 am (which is super bizarre, she always poops once in the morning and then again around 4-5 pm) - she didn't have diarrhea again all day or the next day. Three days ago, I walked her at 6...she peed in the house at like 7:45 when I took my eyes off of her for 2 seconds

·
Registered
33 Posts
What are you cleaning it up with???

Sometimes what can happen is the dog smells the pee and then it naturally thinks that it has found the location where its appropriate to pee. After all - there is already pee there!! this is the pee spot.

So sometimes it can cycle like that if youre not cleaning up the scent properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you cleaning it up with???

Sometimes what can happen is the dog smells the pee and then it naturally thinks that it has found the location where its appropriate to pee. After all - there is already pee there!! this is the pee spot.

So sometimes it can cycle like that if youre not cleaning up the scent properly.

I clean very intensely with soap and hot water then I spray a bunch of dog waste cleaner with enzyme destroyer

the accidents are not in the same area. She pooped in the master bedroom yesterday, two days ago she peed in the guest room. This is why I'm saying I feel like I'm following all the guidelines and getting horrible results. Is my dog just that stupid or what? She's a very good looking lab pitbull mix and both those breeds are typically pretty intelligent (although I think she's 3/4th pitbull)

outside of this pottying issue, she's a fantastic dog. She's super friendly to both dogs and people

·
Registered
33 Posts
I clean very intensely with soap and hot water then I spray a bunch of dog waste cleaner with enzyme destroyer

the accidents are not in the same area. She pooped in the master bedroom yesterday, two days ago she peed in the guest room. This is why I'm saying I feel like I'm following all the guidelines and getting horrible results. Is my dog just that stupid or what? She's a very good looking lab pitbull mix and both those breeds are typically pretty intelligent (although I think she's 3/4th pitbull)

outside of this pottying issue, she's a fantastic dog. She's super friendly to both dogs and people
sounds like you've got a tough case. IDK what the solution is.

If it were me at this point I would limit the access that she has to the house. Don't give her access to master bedroom ,guest room, living room, etc she has too much freedom.
keep her to a single room until you make some progress. this way she is either in her cate or by you with immediate punishment for peeing in the house

dogs dont understand if you punish them a few minutes too late

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds like you've got a tough case. IDK what the solution is.

If it were me at this point I would limit the access that she has to the house. Don't give her access to master bedroom ,guest room, living room, etc she has too much freedom.
keep her to a single room until you make some progress. this way she is either in her cate or by you with immediate punishment for peeing in the house

dogs dont understand if you punish them a few minutes too late
what do you recommend with punishment? Every guide online says to totally ignore it

and she doesn't have accidents if I'm watching her. It's like she knows I am not okay with it so she only sneaks off to do it when I'm not watching her

She hasn't had an accident while I'm watching her in months and months. I know I need to be watching her 24-7 or put her in the cage but it's easier said than done and the big problem is, how long will this go for?

·
Registered
33 Posts
what do you recommend with punishment? Every guide online says to totally ignore it

and she doesn't have accidents if I'm watching her. It's like she knows I am not okay with it so she only sneaks off to do it when I'm not watching her

She hasn't had an accident while I'm watching her in months and months. I know I need to be watching her 24-7 or put her in the cage but it's easier said than done and the big problem is, how long will this go for?
Oh god!!! TOTALLY IGNORE IT????? WTF!!!!
At the MINIMUM when your dog pees in the house you should interrupt it and take it outside to finish and then praise it when it goes outside.

That's the bare minimum IMO and ignoring it just sounds nuts, how is your dog supposed to understand that its inappropriate when the behavior exhibits no response from you at all?
Everyone has their own philosophy on punishments.

My personal recommendation is to keep the punishment as brief and quick as possible. Could be as simple as an unapproving growl or saying "no" in a stern tone.
Avoid making the the dog feel like youre angry at it or that its in trouble for an extended period of time.

Imagine a mommy dog and puppy. The puppy tries to breastfeed alone when none of the other litter are feeding. What happens? The mom snaps at him. for a split second.
That's it. Quick communication.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh god!!! TOTALLY IGNORE IT????? WTF!!!!
At the MINIMUM when your dog pees in the house you should interrupt it and take it outside to finish and then praise it when it goes outside.

That's the bare minimum IMO and ignoring it just sounds nuts, how is your dog supposed to understand that its inappropriate when the behavior exhibits no response from you at all?
Everyone has their own philosophy on punishments.

My personal recommendation is to keep the punishment as brief and quick as possible. Could be as simple as an unapproving growl or saying "no" in a stern tone.
Avoid making the the dog feel like youre angry at it or that its in trouble for an extended period of time.

Imagine a mommy dog and puppy. The puppy tries to breastfeed alone when none of the other litter are feeding. What happens? The mom snaps at him. for a split second.
That's it. Quick communication.

I gotcha...although at this point - this argument is almost irrelevant because she never has accident when I can even punish her

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
she had diarrhea over night in the cage. I walked her and she pooped outside. I brought her in the house and she pooped again in the house 20 mins later while I was in shower

at this point, do I just give up on her? she won't take treats outside most days so I'm forced to rely on praise and play after she potties and it's just not working

is there dogs out there that just will never potty train? this is so frustrating

·
Registered
33 Posts
she had diarrhea over night in the cage. I walked her and she pooped outside. I brought her in the house and she pooped again in the house 20 mins later while I was in shower

at this point, do I just give up on her? she won't take treats outside most days so I'm forced to rely on praise and play after she potties and it's just not working

is there dogs out there that just will never potty train? this is so frustrating
Why is she given free reign of the house while youre in the shower?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts