Go Pitbull Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like she has diarrhea a lot.. if she has an upset stomach that is not necessarily correlated with being house broken.
She might just be sick and physically unable to hold it.

But lets talk about the peeing. i think the key here is that you are going to have to put the effort in to only have her out of the cage when you are in the same room with her for like 6 weeks.
You said "I gotcha...although at this point - this argument is almost irrelevant because she never has accident when I can even punish her "

And this is where you need to put the effort in IMO, stop letting her off and pee away from you. Put up baby gates to block stuff or whatever you need to do.
Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds like she has diarrhea a lot.. if she has an upset stomach that is not necessarily correlated with being house broken.
She might just be sick and physically unable to hold it.

But lets talk about the peeing. i think the key here is that you are going to have to put the effort in to only have her out of the cage when you are in the same room with her for like 6 weeks.
You said "I gotcha...although at this point - this argument is almost irrelevant because she never has accident when I can even punish her "

And this is where you need to put the effort in IMO, stop letting her off and pee away from you. Put up baby gates to block stuff or whatever you need to do.
Good luck!
what's your take on that she never has accidents while I'm watching her?

she understands pottying inside is not ok so why do it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
so I started giving chicken treats and she's taking them outside

we're watching her very closely. Hopefully she will be potty trained by end of month

·
Registered
33 Posts
so I started giving chicken treats and she's taking them outside

we're watching her very closely. Hopefully she will be potty trained by end of month
Okay i finally have a dog again after 6 months. its a 8 week old puppy.
What I'm doing is feeding it kibble and then when he goes potty outside im giving him chicken breast pieces.

This way he only gets the really good stuff if he saves his potty for outdoors.
and then i tell him no and interrupt him if he tries to go in the house. combination of stick and carrot.

best of luck, rooting for you

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok so this is what I would do. Not the only option, but my personal choice. Until you know she is 100% reliably peeing outside, umbilical cord her or crate. Then she has no opportunity to do her potty routine where you can't see her because she is attached, to you or to nearby furniture. Then you are more likely to see her tell but you can also 100% interrupt/mark any mistakes with a "no."

Take her out at least every 2ish hours, since right now it is about the 3rd hour that she messes up. Use the same spot and use a cue. I tell mine "go potty." Praise when she does it, praise extra if she does it right away when cued.

When she starts consistently going after the cue, start adding longer time inside between going out. Still umbilical corded so you can always catch her in the act.

As you said, you checked all the health issues so this is a confusion issue. At this point she has had lots of chances to make mistakes so she needs way more reps not making mistakes. It will be hard work to fix and require some patience, but in the long run you won't have to keep your dog attached to you, or clean up pee, so worth it in the short run to me.

My one last thought would be: is she spayed already? If so, is it potentially an incontinence issue. I had a shelter dog many years ago who would lay down and it would leak right out. I had a friend who had a similar issue with her dog after her spay. If she is, it might be worth checking into. Medicine completely solved the issue for both dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 3 month old, kennel trained at night and during the day while we are at work. Take her outside,which she goes potty, can stay outside for multiple hours while she still pottys but the moment she gets inside she pees again.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts