Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male already and I want another dog. should i get a female or another male. is DA bound to happen?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I have a male already and I want another dog. should i get a female or another male. is DA bound to happen?
DA is bound to happen at some point. If you plan on living in peace I would get a female. But have your dogs fixed so no accidents happen. Two males especially left intact 99% of the time will not get along as they mature. Your better off with a girl if they are going to be house dogs. Having the opposite of sex is still no guarantee they will always get along but IMO your better off.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
DA can always happen and if you want 2 dogs you have to consider what you would do if you have to separate them for life. Could you be ok with crate and rotate or building separate areas for them? You also would never be able to leave them alone with each other or you could come home to a dead dog. If you are ok with that then by all means get another dog. many of us on here have many dogs but they take management. If you have a male then get a female.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I did alright with two males and very little DA, even when alone, but I did have to discipline them and monitor all situations. Luck probably played a role too, but it lasted for over 13 years:) Go with your heart, plan with your head;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think a female is the way to go if you have a male already. But even if they get along really well be prepared for that to one day possibly change and also, you will still probably have to sometimes rotate them. My pups are male and female and get along wonderfully, but sometimes they just get too worked up playing together or don't tolerate sharing well like siblings and I end up rotating them. How does your xurrent dog act around other dogs?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
DA wont always happen but if you are prepared and able to deal with it if it arises then there is no problem adding another dog. I agree for least likely of DA happening best bet is to have male and female vs male and male.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
atm I have 2 males and 1 female. The Female causes the most problems. Ha. She's a little punk.

But I do agree that having one of each sex(can I say that here?) will be the better option.

It is possible to have two males live together,but it is rare that that will always get along.

My 2 have scuffles at least once a day,but it's never anything big. However they are constantly under supervision,never EVER left alone together,unless one is kenneled.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I don't mind being the rarity LOL! My mom always said there was something special about me:):) Seriously, I live in a different environment than most.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We're doing fine w/ a male and female ( AM Bullies), But, they have completely separate areas ( If they didn't get along it wouldn't pose much of a problem), they're always supervised when together.
They enjoy each other so much, and we get a big charge out of that. While I believe that a dog which gets attention and exercise doesn't need a dog community too...It also seems that my dogs lives are better for one another s company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts