Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having just lost my (first and only) sweet pup, bon, late last month, i am nowhere near being ready for a new companion (also, i am not currently in a position to be able to dedicate that time that i feel would be required to raise a well adjusted dog). i will say i did a good deal of research on pit bulls and how to train/socialize one before and during my bon's arrival/rearing, and she ended up making me so very proud (of both of us), as she ended up being so very wonderful :).

having now looked through this site, though, i am now very concerned as to whether a pit bull would be the right choice for a companion dog in the future. had i not read so many wonderful things about them before i made my choice to get one way back when, i would have never thought to go with a pit bull.

i'm just not sure if i got lucky with her, or i was a dog whisperer in a previous life.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
what exactly are you worried about? I dont really understand the question here , if there is one?

·
APBT!
9,592 Posts
What's there to worry about? These dogs are wonderful and usually very adaptable to their situation. They can be hard headed at times, but are eager to please and usually easy to train. If you've got previous experience with training a bull breed, then you should have no issues in the future.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm concerned by what i read in that sticky post about not providing the opportunity to partake in activities for which a pit is bred for. also, i'd hate to end up with a dog that was peope aggressive, which could possibly happen due to bad breeding (no?), from what i've read of a few owners' experiences on this site.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
This breed isnt for everyone and if you feel it isn't for you then that's all there is too it. You can end up with human aggression in ANY breed, BYB and poor quality dogs of all breeds are being bred. When getting a dog if looking at a purebred look into your breeders, research and ask questions. Make sure you know what you are getting , that is your best chance again with ANY breed of finding a dog with a good temperment among other things.

I dont understand about not being able to "partake" in activities in which this breed was meant for. If you are looking at the APBT the reason they were bred is no longer legal so anyone with ethics in this country isn't doing that , so kinda lost on that one.

With that being said if you are truely looking at the APBT you have to make sure your ready for such a dog. There are many people on here who own this breed and can help you understand the activity level this breed needs and the proper ways to contain as Dog aggression is very common and would have to be considered when buying a bully breed dog.

If you are looking more to the american bullys they were bred for companion and show , so partaking in what the breed was meant to do is obviously very easy to do.

Why don't you tell us what you are wanting in a dog? Do you want a dog to take to dog parks? are you wanting to show? do you want a house pet, guard dog, work out partner? As well as how much time to you have daily to spend with the dog ? Lots of questions to the breeder and from yourself will help determine if this breed suits you, life styles change so what worked 10 years ago may not work today for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
taken from a sticky post on the forum index page: "In fact the majority of pitbulls that I have known who were people aggressive or have bitten people were raised as house pets. They are animals out of place with no outlet for their genetic drive. Pitbulls are very willful animals and as house pets this can lead to problems. A dog on a chain knows his place in life whereas a housedog often tends to become protective and territorially aggressive."

that paragraph is downright frightening.

i had absolutely no issues with my pit, as she LOVED ALL PEOPLE and had zero reason not to, which was what made me most proud of her/us.

i'm just wondering what the chances are of me ending up with another sweet, loving angel if i end up raising another the same way as i did bon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and as far as what i want, she must be a sweet, happy, loving companion that loves all people. let's say i rescue a PUPPY from a shelter. how do i know what i'm getting? i assume that the answer is...i do not.

as far as bon, she was papered and likely not from a reputable breeder, as i only learned after the fact. 'course, like i said, she was wonderful through and through.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya getting a shelter dog you are gambling with what you get as they cant look back at parents and tell genetically what you are getting. Although if you opt for an older dog they do go through temperment testing { atleast at the better shelters, you can check with yours}. But getting a puppy things like HA if genetic can come up as they mature and may not see that as a young dog. but you take that risk with ANY shelter dog really.

(edit: you take that risk even when buying from most breeders, you dont usually know there dogs history when you buy atleast majority of buyers dont)

The quote Im not sure who you go that from, I do agree with part of it. If you have a true APBT and using them as a house pet and not giving them the outlet they need to work off there pent up energy mentally and physically you could be producing a problem. Anything from destructive bahaviour to frustration that could come out to appear as aggression. Big reason I said If that is what you are looking for you should make sure you are suited for one. By the sounds you are looking more into a pet , maybe bully, staffy blood, mixes that kind of thing that you often find in a shelter.

I would say alot of human aggressive dogs can be linked to genetics , although there are more then 1 types of human aggression or any aggression for that matter. Sometimes it has more of an environmental reason as to the behaviour.

You can get a great dog from a crappy breeder it does happen , but for the best chance I would say research . If you go with the shelter route I would personally opt for a dog a bit older maybe 1-2 years old. Still young enough but old enough that hopefully any issues like aggression would be known about.

you owned one of these breeds so you know the pluses of owning one, if they were such a risk to own do you honestly think so many of us here would own them? many of us with young kids? Sure things happen that we cant foresee but it happens in all breeds not just ours. You just have to know your dog, do everything you can to keep them healthy and safe. use leashes, socialize them young, train , work them out daily and I would say more likely then not you will have a happy , stable loving pet. It really does come down to responsible ownership 99% of the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the paragraph in quotations that i had posted is a "sticky post" on the "general discussion" index page, titled: "A must read, possible 'sticky' candidate." everyone seemed to agree with what was said, which, along awith a few other posts from owners that saw their once sweet pups turn not so nice towards people, is what caused my concern.

having a human-aggressive dog is completely unacceptable to me, and i just want to be sure that if/when i decide on another companion that i make the most informed decision. i do understand what the nature of a pit is supposed to be about, having done a lot of reading and having NEVER ONCE, in 11 years, had my pup bark at a knock or ringing of my doorbell. THAT is the kind of dog that i want...a lover of people with absolutely no reason to not be sweet towards them :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
That is the kind of dog this breed is suppose to be as well. Just saying if you use human aggression as the main reason NOT to get this breed that its a horrible reason. IM sure you can read on other forums with other breeds bad storys where there dogs changed too. I agree Human aggression should NEVER be tolerated in ANY dog, I would never feed a human aggressive dog, they would be in a 6 foot hole in the back yard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts