Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there are any impacts of having a large litter on the mother and / or the puppies.

Like say 8-12 puppies.

No real reason behind this except I saw something saying 1 of 14 puppies!! I thought good lord that's a lot of puppies.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I know from friends litters when they have large litters occassionally the mom has issues feeding all of them and not producing enough milk, on many occassions she has had to feed pups to help mom out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My gyp had eleven pups. I had to supplement the pups at 3.5 weeks. My girl got sooo skinny. I fed her all the time too. She just couldn't keep up. She even started losing her hair.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When I bred a few years back one of my bitches had 13 pups... She had a very difficult time delivering all of them and after with feeding... We lost two and had to supplement the rest she just stopped feeding because she wasn't producing enough milk for them...

Large litters are extremely tough on mama... Ideal litters in this breed are 6-10 pups...

On a side note nice bike!! Glad to see another crotch rocket rider here

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Kane and Roxie were in a litter of 14. They lost a pup in delivery and then four more because their mom started killing some. They were having a really hard time keeping weight on her too and I believe that was part of the reasoning behind them weaning the pups at 4 weeks, which is too soon.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Yes, I've seen it every time with a large litter. That many pups is very hard on mom and babies. If I have a litter that large I tend to supplement with bottle feedings at first, and introduce kibble or a mixture as soon as the teeth come in. Mom's can get very run down trying to keep those puppies alive.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My old teacher had 13 pit bull x german shepard pups she called me crying when she lost the runt but the mother did exceptanly well for her first litter being 12 and she helped her rotate the smaller ones and hold the bigger ones so they could eat longer, and my bf's friends itty bitty am bull staff had 9 pups with a rotty and she took it hard cause he didnt feed her right. she ended up becomeing allergic to fleas and lost ALL of her hair and was a bag of bones till i started going and showing him how to feed her and the pups with rice and letting the kibble soak up water so the pups could eat on their own at 5 weeks instead of sucking her dry 24/7. then he put a big tupaware bowl FULL of water in the box and drownd one of the pups. I guess it's all in WHO has them, if you tend to the momma ALOT and do everything right there is a great chance for well rounded pups because they learn more pack structure and stuff when there is more pups (I think)

·
Registered
429 Posts
It is best to supplement large litters. They can wear the dam down. How well they do can depend on how well they are taken care of. Nutrition is very important lack of it can less to an ill bitch, these females will became drained. Consequences could even be fatal.

8 pups doesn't seem to be a problem for most in my experience, though I do prefer a smaller litter.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
When I was younger my moms friend had a litter every year with their girl :( every time they were 12-14 puppies. They all seemed to do well though. None died and they were all healthy size. I think it depends on the female. Just like with people. It's harder on some then others. I was walking around within an hour after my babies were born, but others have to have bed rest for days.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Thank you. I love her. What do you ride Sarge?

Here's a few pictures. These are before the HID's / smoked Flushmounts on the RR. And my F4i

Aww seeing those bikes makes me sad I had a GSXR 1000 2003 just like the one on the biker boyz movie. without the crazy paint. it was stolen.:( Any way I love your lil dog kane.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hah yes Rudy Biker Boyz and Torque. Two movies everyone with a motorcycle should watch. I love the GSXR's. I would love one of the 07+'s 750's in Orange.

And Thanks! about Kane - he's quite adorable if I do say so myself. He's starting to put a little size on him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts