Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an APBT that will be 1 at the end of March. She went into heat for the first time in November-December. The last few days she's been really really whiny and wiggly. She's tried humping my aunt's leg a few times and she always wiggles her butt against everyone in the house, she doesn't ever really want to play anymore she just wants to be rubbed and as soon as i open the door to my room she runs in and jumps on my bed and goes to sleep.. i have to drag her off because she won't really listen anymore.. if she does get off when i tell her too she jumps right back on my bed within a minute unless i physically block her, i'm just wondering if maybe she could be going into heat again or if it could be something else?​

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I had a few bitches go into heat when they just had one a few months earlier. Some are irregular for the first year or two so yes it is possible. If she is eating and drinking normally then I would say she is back in heat, even if she does not bleed it could be a silent heat.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
It sounds to me more like an obedience problem then a going into heat problem. My dogs still listen to me even when they go into heat. Have you done a basic obedience class with her?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Sounds to me like she is challenging your authority. I have heard of people having dog act different when going into heat, but I have never experienced that. Teach her to stay out of that room and don't let her hump anyone. As for her being rubbed she may just like it.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
good call aimee I didn't even address the behavior issue but yes it sounds like you need a little more control over the dog. I do have a few dogs who act nuts when in season, I just let them have their PMS moments then back to training ;)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I think she needs to have some serious training. I would not allow her to hump anyone for starters then you need to work on down and leave it and maye find her a job. She could be acting out because of lack of exercise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had her in a puppy training class at petsmart but we only went a few times because every time she got in the car she completely soaked the back seat with drool and vomit so i just decided to teach her at home, she was doing really good until she started spending more time with my aunt who lets her get away with everything. I kinda just let her get away with it because i wasn't really home that much for a few months and then i had a baby so it was hard to find the time to spend training her again but the last few weeks i've been working with her and she was doing really good again until a few days ago she started just staring at the treat in my hand and completely ignoring me and that's when everything i mention above started too.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
It could be a heat then. I would still continue to work with her. maybe switch up what ver you are working on right now. Do you take her for walks? What do you do with her? Maybe the treats are not what she wants. I use more praise than treats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's bad but i honestly haven't walked her since she was probably 5 months old. Every time i tried to walk her she'd see a person or a car and she'd freeze so i'd have to carry her back home, she's been really scared of everything since i got her. We used to play fetch all the time or tug but now she won't play she ignores the ball and if i try and play tug with her she just holds it in her mouth and lays down. She loves the treats that's all she'll focus on even if i put the treat up to my face it's like she doesn't see anything but the treat. I've tried using just praise but it only works like a 1/3 of the time she won't really pay attention unless i have a treat. When i use the treats i usually walk around the house with her and randomly get her to sit, lay down, leave it, or get off the furniture and praise her every time she does something but she doesn't seem to really care about me rubbing her or anything after about 5-10 minutes of that i give her the treat.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
with training any dog. consistancy is the key. lack of, will result in a dog that listens only when it WANTS to. and thats not an obedient dog.
apbt need to know where there spot in the pack is from the very start. it needs to know that when someone comes over to visit, they are not dominent.

i agree with the others also, do some consistant obedience, sit, heel, laydown, one thing thats important; recall. training leads are really good for that, you can get them pretty much any length you want. from 15-50ft lol. and learn what motivates your dog. whether it be food, or it be a toy or just some praise. your dog needs to have fun training or else its not going to work lol.

if she is going into heat, here a link (that Lisa posted) with some info on some chlorophyll (sp) that helps out with some issues of dealing with a bitch in heat
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/23109-cheap-chlorophyll-bitches-season.html

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You need to get her back to training. Put a crate in the back seat to contain the drool and go to a good place not petsmart. Petsmart does not have real trainers, they are forced to teach out of a book and where a cashier can be promoted to head trainer by only reading a book is NOT real dog training. Go to a professional you have some real issues to work out with your dog.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
What about spaying her dog :confused: seems as if she doesn't have time for much since she had a new baby. Why deal with a heat if you don't have to. If your dog is that skittish and scared of everything you really need to do some obedience work with her especially with a new baby in the house. Sounds like your girl didn't get much socialization either :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts