Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about off leash obedience training with your APBTs? Do you think it's a complete "no no" or do you think it's a good idea? either way, why?

If you vote "no-ish" I have a feeling what you will say, and I completely understand it, but would you ever consider it?.

if you vote "yes-ish" What would you consider an appropriate time/place to exercise this training?

feel free to elaborate either way!

Next week I'm supposed to start off leash obedience classes with Peggy, and I'm a little nervous to be honest.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
I am for it...

Mostly just to help in everyday life. Many dogs seem to listen better when on a lead. But I think it could be a life saver if your dog was ever to get loose. I know I have worked with Zoe off leash her entire life. I know if anything were to ever happen and she was to get out of the yard or slipped out the door I jknow she would still listen to me!

·
wheezie wayne
3,366 Posts
im ok with it when its done in a sporting type manner, like sch or ukc AKC ob... anything along the lines of that. now every day life such as the dog off leash in front yard and relying on obedience in case a car or dog comes barreling down the road... NO!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I dont bring mine off leash unless we are in the park which is fenced in. he also sits on my porch with me and my yard. I think its a great to get them accustomed to being off leash in case it ever happens they dont feel like they are FREE FREE RUN LIKE THE WIND!!! lol. But I dont do it around other people or animals. and when I see people walk by the park I stop and make him sit until they pass.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am for it...

Mostly just to help in everyday life. Many dogs seem to listen better when on a lead. But I think it could be a life saver if your dog was ever to get loose. I know I have worked with Zoe off leash her entire life. I know if anything were to ever happen and she was to get out of the yard or slipped out the door I jknow she would still listen to me!
im ok with it when its done in a sporting type manner, like sch or ukc AKC ob... anything along the lines of that. now every day life such as the dog off leash in front yard and relying on obedience in case a car or dog comes barreling down the road... NO!
Good responses guys! Wayne, what would be the real difference to the dog itself at an event vs. the front yard?

At what point would relying on off leash obedience label you as an irresponsible dog owner?

EDIT: another question is... at what point in training an animal do you feel confident in his or her recall?

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
I have many videos of me playing with Zoe in the front yard and leash free that some people have had problems with. I have full confidence in her. After 2 years of doing this I know when she can and can't do it. She will not approach people or dogs. But this is only done with me. I do not trust this with anyone else but me. I would NOT do this with Thor. He has had the same time and training as Zoe but I do not trust him.

·
wheezie wayne
3,366 Posts
to many unknowns when it comes to a scenario like the front yard. even now when i do a long down on my clubs field during sch i use a long line for the (just in case) even though he has never broken a long down. if im trialing i only have to worry about one dog being on the field... in the front yard you have dogs running loose cats, squires, cars ect ect.. i just don't see the point in taking the risk. i wont even let my dog be in the fenced in backyard unless im out there with them or he is on a chain or cable run set up. a lot of people say im to paranoid, but this is the way i have always been.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I do off leash training with all my dogs in secure areas. I never would have my dog of ANY breed of leash in public or in a unsecured area. You never know when a dog will decide to be a dog no matter the training. Events are one thing. Never would you find me walking down the street with Bee off leash. There are leash laws for a reason and I think all dogs in public belong on a leash.

Reactions: wheezie

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I think they should be trained to listen off leash, but I would not walk them around off leash. Just practice the technique and use in emergency. I would trust a dog to recall if the dog has been doing it reliably with distractions for a month or so and reliably off lead for a few weeks. It depends on the dog though.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Shana, I'm with Holly on this one. I've also done off leash training with all my dogs, but only in a secured area. It does come in handy in the event your dog gets loose, or you have unexpected visitors in your home/yard and need to quickly recall your dog. Part of my advanced training that I've done always has included different scenarios (people walking by, walking other dogs by, etc) in a secured area and testing their obedience and recall. However, b/c of the breed and the ongoing discrimination regarding our breed, never mind the fact that they can't be trusted to "turn on" in an instant, this would not be a good practice out in public, aside from agility, obedience, sch, etc.

ETA: Just a side note, touching on what Whitney said, it really depends on your level of trust in said dog. But, you never know when something will get their attention and cause them to ignore you, no matter how much training you've done and how good their recall is.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
I think it's important to train dogs off-leash in a secure area just in case something happens and the dog is in public off-leash, but i would never take ANY of my dogs or anybody else's dogs in public off-leash. No matter the breed, size, temperament, etc etc... I am not comfortable with any dogs in public off of a leash and it just.. would never happen.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Yeah, off leash obedience is a whole different thing than just going for a walk with no leash. I do off lead training with my dogs but only in a certain park where I know there will be no surprises (it's pretty much only accessible by car and the parking area is highly visible from all parts of the park). I would never consider just going for a walk without leads like the person in Angie's story.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
With the majority here.I do off leash training all the time in my yard.I think it builds on the trust factor to do the off leash.
Now will I ever have my dog off leash in an unsecured setting,heck no.But I think as long as it's in a place where the both of you feel comfortable then it's ok.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
would i want to do off leesh training with onyx....i would love it. in a secure inviornment i thing he does very well. when he is with one other dog in a non-secure area he does very well, or if he is solo with moderate distractive area he does well. i am still working on his focusing on me while working. but dont feel confident off leesh in any other area than where i feel comfortable. he loses focus quickly if repetative distractions arise

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
My backyard cozies up to a natural preserve/park where it's some distance before the dogs could get into contact with another person/animal and we've done some off-leash training there, but like a lot of people here, I would only use that training in an emergency.

But I know, from experience, that it's not a guarantee. All it takes is for your dog to get that "focus", where the world melts away from them and there's no amount of calling or tossing treats or puppy voices you can give them to get them back to you. Luckily, the cars (yes, carS) stopped in time, but I've learned my lesson.

I only train off-leash now towards dusk when there's less traffic and after the dogs have been out on multiple walks and have gotten themselves tired out physically. I don't let them have the opportunity to see something they would go after.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I've done off leash training with Dosia at the park. We only do it in the baseball diamond when there are no strange dogs around. My sister and her friends bring their dogs on leash to help with mastering distractions. He knows both dogs very well and I know they all get along. I would never try this with any strange dogs and he is always on leash in public places. It's nice cause I can BBQ on my front porch and not worry about him running around all crazy. He just stays on the porch like he's told and will go inside to his spot if told to do so.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Same here with chino. Chino listens very well when he is off leash. I take him to the dog park early morning when there are about 2 or 3 dogs. (same people every morning) and i practice come and stay.

BUT dogs are like kids. Just picture walking through the mall and your kids favorite movie star is there(hanaha montana) do you expect your kid to act the same as if your at home? NOPE.

So i dont take the risk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts