Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know I just got Barca back and I have to say I think it was for the best! I am just in love with him and I think I may keep him instead of co-own him again. I was thinking of co-owning Varro out and keeping Barca but Varro is a really nice male as well. I am torn on what to do. A little back story....
These puppies are from my last breeding and I kept 2 of them and co-owned the rest. I just got Barca back from a bad co-own and I did a bunch of temperament testing and working ability testing this weekend and I am super impressed and I think I made a mistake by not keeping him in the first place. I have no problem placing a dog who is not working out as a working dog but keeping 3 puppies is a bit much I think. It was time consuming enough to work all my dogs plus 2 new pups but now with 3..... however all 3 pups have great working ability and trying to decide who to keep is killing me..... or do I keep all 3...:confused: No easy answer there and I will take pictures this after noon, you should see how big all the dogs are getting!

Barca has the same drive levels as Siren and I can see how that would be too much dog for your average owner, these dogs are over the top with everything they do. At schutzhund he was beast for the tug and ball, and in Obed he is super focused. He also is great with other dogs and showed no DA yet, he even had dogs barking at him in schutzhund and he just ignored them. He is great with my baby and remembers how things work in my house and fit right back into the routine of things. Now you see why I am having a hard time! lol Besides being a little fat and needing some work on biting the tugs he is perfect.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
awwww Lisa, I am super glad you got him back, I do beleive he was one of my faves in that litter :D I hope you figure something out, I know you will and I can't wait to see pics :D

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
That's too bad he went to a bad co-own, but it looks like it was def. for the best for him to come back.

Choices choices choices! LOL. Would you be up for having a second Siren? She's a beast!!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Simple answer. I take Varro, you take Barca alls well that end well :D

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I'm super happy you got him back, and he's impressing you!! I say keep all 3!! Especially if he is already doing so well and fitting back in!!

Course that is coming from someone who has issues letting ANY go..lmao

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I'm so glad he's back with you Lisa, and I just knew his temp test would be good. You are very right most people can't handle these high drive dogs so it is very much for the best for him to be back with you. It sucks to have to make such a hard choice with the pups, but I'm sure what ever it is will be the very best choice for all of them. Good luck and I can't wait for more pics (hugs)
Maybe we can convince Ryan to make some room and then you can send a little fuzzy butt over here :D

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am downloading pictures now of all 3 puppies. I was playing with him again today and I can see how he could be too much even for a seasoned home. HE IS NUTS over any toy and that type of high drive can be hard to control if you do not know what your doing. That is what I am looking for in a working dog. That type of drive can cause a dog fight in a split second if another dog is around him when I am playing with him or he is in drive. That is how my pups got into it too. I am about 99% sure I am keeping him now I have to figure out what to do with Varro. Holly you want a schutzhund dog? he is also doing great in Agility. Both males are so nice I am wondering if letting go of Crixus is the better choice..... man this sucks! lol

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
LOLL Dave make sure we get this on video in case Holly whops ya ;)

@ Lisa I know what you mean about drivey dogs, Dosia is very much the same way. That's why I can't wait to take him to shows this year, that boy wants to work :) Ryan was a little worried about him in the beginning since he cam be a bit crazy too lol, but learning about the breed has really opened him up, this is first expierence owning the breed. I'm sure Barca is gunna be a great working dog and he'll make you proud like his momma :)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Was Barca the one that Jada ( i think that was her name,Prairie Moon Pits) got?I was so sure that that would have been the perfect home for him since she worked her dogs.It's too bad it didn't work out.
But glad he's working out for ya.I say keep all three.And if Dave and Holly end up arm wrestling,post it here for everyone to watch!

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Was Barca the one that Jada ( i think that was her name,Prairie Moon Pits) got?I was so sure that that would have been the perfect home for him since she worked her dogs.It's too bad it didn't work out.
But glad he's working out for ya.I say keep all three.And if Dave and Holly end up arm wrestling,post it here for everyone to watch!
Yea that was the pup that Jaida had.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I thought it was the perfect home too until I got the phone call to take him back. All I have to say is at least I got him back safe. She broke her contract when she sent him back and tried to imply I was breeding unsound dogs. We put a lot of stress on Barca when we did temperament testing on him and he is perfectly sound. He just has too much drive for a novice APBT owner like her. She owns AST's and I told her these dogs are different and I thought she was up to the challenge but I was mistaking. I do not really want to beat her up to bad unless I hear she is trying to bad mouth me. If I see that it will not be pretty! I will say I am going after her for breach of contract. Again this thread is not to bad mouth her at this point. It was too much dog for her and he is where he belongs.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
. Holly you want a schutzhund dog? he is also doing great in Agility. Both males are so nice I am wondering if letting go of Crixus is the better choice..... man this sucks! lol
Um I will take any left overs male or female and do what ever sport your Heart wants :D I couldn't be more happy with Xena. I could really use a new man around the house. *hint* *hint* ;)

well i want varro and ill arm wrestle holly for him
I am better with a LightSaber.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
she is not a snuggle bug like Xena but a good medium working dog. ;)
I'll have you know that Xena is a supreme working dog! She watches kids, (I stated before about her long division and window washing)

She is competing in that Snuggle Nationals AND is a Cuddle GRCH! Beat That!!!!:woof:

Well and there is her fabulous conformation that will grace the ADBA ring this year :D

Crixus would defiantly make a great California girl too :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what does it mean to co-own a dog? I only ask because I've been looking for a new dog and a lot of the kennels I have been looking at will only sell a dog on a co-own contract. Obviously I understand what it implies, but does it also give the kennel breeding rights etc? I ask that because I have no intention of ever breeding a dog or allowing a dog I own to be bred. I've just been looking for dogs with lots of drive so I can get back into weightpull and dock diving like I did with my previous dog.

Anyway, sorry to veer this thread off course, but I figured I would ask since you obviously have some fantastic dogs and you spoke of a co-own contract. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Every co-own is a little different. When i co-own I keep the breeding rights and decide if I want to breed the dog or not if I do I will ask for the dog back at my expense to breed then send them back. The ppl I co-own with cannot breed my dogs without my consent it is a way to make sure no one gets my dogs and breeds them for the wrong reasons. I am responsible for every dog my dogs produce and I want them in good homes or I will do everything I can to get them back like I did with Barca. I also have in my contract if you ever cannot keep the dog it has to come back to me, cannot be neutered or spayed without my permission, sold to anyone else, and must be provided for. There is a lot more to my contract but ask the breeders to send you a contract and what they want out of a co-own. If you do a co-own you must read the contract and agree with everything or don't do it. Some breeders require you show the dogs I don't but some do. Getting Barca back is the reason I co-own she was going to put a perfectly great dog down because she is ignorant of high drive dogs. She got bad info from other ppl who had no clue what they were talking about with my dogs pedigree and she was going to put him down. When he got here I temperament tested him and if found unsound I would have PTS but that is my decision to make not an inexperienced dog owner. If I would not have had him contract I would have lost the best working dog of this litter. I did learn not to place these dogs with newbie dog owners they are for working ppl only who understand high drive dogs. So talk to the breeders and find out if you can live with a co-own. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, that doesn't sound unfair at all. I'm not partial to having a dog I own bred, be it by me or the breeder so that is something I would have to discuss with the breeder I guess. I'm not opposed to breeding or anything, but I have my own feelings on that. I signed a pretty lengthy contract when I got my last dog and it covered pretty much everything you just covered (About them taking the dog back, I can't sell him to other people, permission to spay/neuter etc.) My dog was into WP and dock diving. I did show him a couple of times so I kept him in tact until he was 4 years old (He got injured and I retired him from sport.)

Anyway, I went off on a tangent there sorry about that. Thanks for the explanation on the co-own contract I totally see your point and I'm glad you were able to get your dog back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts