Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I just recently adopted a pitbull mix from the local shelter. She's the greatest dog in the world, but she pees constantly in the house when she gets too excited.

I have looked for everything I can online, but it only deals with human excitement and pee. She gets excited pee when she sees our cats (but right now we keep them separated by baby gates) so it's not possible to teach the cats to greet her calmly etc like all the advice does about humans.

My girlfriend firmly believes in the yell at your dog and rub their nose in it theory which goes against everything I have read or seen. I can't take her yelling at the dog but I also can't stand the thought of her going back to a shelter either.

I don't know what to do - I'm not the only human in the house and I can only control how I react and I try to stay calm and not scold her etc but I can't control my girlfriends belief.

What can I do to make this behavior stop in these circumstances? I don't want to lose this dog, I'm crazy about her but I can't figure out how to stop the behavior when it comes to her getting so excited about seeing the cats.

Can anyone please give me advice before she ends up back at the shelter?

· scratchin hard
2,237 Posts
Depends!!!!!!!!!!! And i aint joking!!!! I've read that somewhere...

But hear we go...........how do u know she isa pit mix? Cause they told you????

Or you know it for a fact? But till you get her calmed down try the depends...

· Registered
149 Posts
Excitement or submissive peeing should not be corrected-the dog cannot control it and drawing attention or punishing them for it will only make it worse. Rubbing a dogs nose in pee and yelling is not the way to housetrain even if that were the issue, all that will do is create a dog who potties out of sight and often learns to fear his irrational owners. All you can do is ignore it, not make a big deal and try to avoid the situations that are causing it, take her out beforehand if possible. Most dogs grow out of it, my male used to be really bad about it when we first adopted him but does not do it anymore. You also might want to have her vet checked just in case she has a uti or inability to hold her bladder since you say it is constant.

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
Excitement or submissive peeing should not be corrected-the dog cannot control it and drawing attention or punishing them for it will only make it worse. Rubbing a dogs nose in pee and yelling is not the way to housetrain even if that were the issue, all that will do is create a dog who potties out of sight and often learns to fear his irrational owners. All you can do is ignore it, not make a big deal and try to avoid the situations that are causing it, take her out beforehand if possible. Most dogs grow out of it, my male used to be really bad about it when we first adopted him but does not do it anymore. You also might want to have her vet checked just in case she has a uti or inability to hold her bladder since you say it is constant.
:goodpost:

Peeing in the wrong locations isn't breed specific, just want to get that out there. It doesn't help that there are tons of people training her differently and your girlfriend really should read this post to know how incredibly damaging it is to yell at a dog that is peeing at the wrong time. The nose thing is gross and ridiculous. You really need to get everyone on the same page for the good of the dog. How old is the dog? How many months has it been since you adopted her? It could take a few months being with a set schedule for her to adjust. How long was she at the shelter? Its will take a while to break the shelter cycle, they are sometimes forced to pee in their kennel depending on the times people volunteer.

Not sure what you already have done, but people need to ignore your dog when they come in. Do you know is excitement peeing and not fearful? Is she spayed? Sometimes when a dog is spayed the accidentally nick the urethra or the bladder or muscle making it hard for dogs to be able to hold in their pee. Or it can cause leakage. Its it full on pees? or just dribbles? What does she do when you catch her?

When she does it, do not yell. You need to immediately take her outside. What does she LOVE? A ball? a treat? What is the BEST THING EVER (could even be your love or pat on the head) you need to find out and when she pees, EVERYTIME you need to act like its the best thing in the whole world and give her the high value prize she loves most.

· Premium Member
5,143 Posts
I also think that with your two different training styles you're probably confusing her. You and your girlfriend need to decide on a training style and stick with it and be consistent. She's getting mixed signals when you react one way and your GF acts another.

· APBT!
9,636 Posts
Yep! Definitely have your girlfriend read this thread prior to posting answers to the questions Ames asked you. Then you can respond and we can be of better assistance.

· Registered
1 Posts
Didnt you say the dog does this when the cats are around? Maybe he was attacked by cats as a puppy. Or was around an aggresive cat or might have been severely punished for being aggresive or too rough with a cat. Have you tried to introduce the two of them while outdoors. The behavior may stop once they get acquainted with each other. Good Luck

· Premium Member
490 Posts
Didnt you say the dog does this when the cats are around? Maybe he was attacked by cats as a puppy. Or was around an aggresive cat or might have been severely punished for being aggresive or too rough with a cat. Have you tried to introduce the two of them while outdoors. The behavior may stop once they get acquainted with each other. Good Luck
Maybe a dragon fell out of the sky... Could have been anything. Lol, attacked by a cat. That would be interesting to see!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.