Go Pitbull Forums banner

in need of separation anxiety help

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  dimik 
#1 ·
well I've had my dog for a while now and he clings to me a lot maybe because he knows I rescued him. I've done a ton of reading and browsing about separation anxiety and I've tried everything I've read.

the separation anxiety my dog has is really bad when I leave him in the morning to go to work and come back I see he doesent touch his food. he cries all day and night, and if im around and he cant touch me he will start crying. the past two days I came home he peed inside. not a problem I've had untill now.

I even filled up his toy with peanut butter and gave it to him he didn't touch it untill I got home from work.. I think my last resort is a trainer any advice peeps? anyone know a trainer in the NYC (queens) area? the stress he probably has and the fact that he won't eat at night or in the morning is really bad and worries me.

#3 ·
I've got an article from the behaviorist we used that helped with our girls anxiety. There's a few posts on here about it too if you search. When I get home I can forward it to you if you PM me an email.
Just remember this is not an over night fix. This will take time. We still have issues occasionally with our girl and we've been working on it for months.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
there is a necklace that you can put on them that has hormones in it, Carrie has had sucess with her pup, she may pop on here to tell you the name I cant remember for the life of me. Many threads on this.

You said you have tried everything so instead of me explaining a few things, what have you already tried?

#6 ·
I would try the necklaces if you can remember what it is.

I've tried a few techniques.

Leaving and coming back for a few seconds working up to a few minutes. (doesn't work once I'm gone for more than a few minutes the crying and barking starts)

*Calming treats

Peanut butter with toys (once i leave he doesn't even bother untill i come back.)

Telling him il be back before i leave.

Acting as if im leaving (doing the usual routine and stopping).

Every time he start to bark a lot i go put him in time out (recently started to train him this) . That seems to work for like 15-20 minutes but after that he begins again

#16 ·
well i don't have a crate i have the house i built for him. Can i keep him in that while im at work or is that to long? I do close him in while hes sleeping but then i walk him for 20 min when he wakes up. I cant close him up again thats to messed up so i keep him tied to a long chain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.