Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new job that requires me to leave my little gentleman alone most of the day (which sucks) and he has decided to thank me by starting to chew the baseboards in my/his bedroom. He loves his toys but he doesnt really know how to play lovingly and they never last more than a day or 2.

I'm looking for something to leave him with during the day that wont be destroyed and everywhere when I get home(like the rawhide and 5" thick rope toy were). Ive had good success in making the Kong ball last for a month or so at a time but he recently dissmantled one of the classic Kongs (Cone like with the hollowed out middle for treats/PB) in a week.

Any suggestions would be great.

Peace and Love
JS

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Have you thought about crating? Even if you give him all the awesome toys in the world, he could still choose to chew the baseboards instead; that's what my old girl Roxie did.

Have you tried antlers?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Crating is the best thing you could do for your boy. That way you know that he is safe and not getting into something that could be harmful. Atlers work great but if you can get one of those you could go to the butcher and get a nice knuckle bone or leg bone. My dogs chew on these for months. Once they have kind of quit chewing on them I was them up put them in the freezer and after a week I give them back to the dogs they go nuts like it is a new bone.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
I'm with everyone else, your best bet would be to crate him while you're gone. It's just safer for him, and safer for your baseboards! lol

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The black kongs usually hold up to pit bull chewer, the black one is the most durable. Fill is with mush kibble and peanut butter n throw it in the freezer overnight. But i agree with the rest- eating your house can hurt your pups stomach. No sense puttin him at risk, safer to crate and keep him outta trouble. It's not cruel and it could save his life. Antlers and bones are a great treat for em too... Good luck!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Frozen black kong extreme filled w/ peanut butter & crating will be you & your dogs best friend. Crating ensures the dog is safe & proper exercise for the dog in your free time :)

I've had the same kong extreme for over 2 years & barely looks used (plus they're USA made)

Also try to avoid raw hide - it's essentially the same as giving a baby chewing gum & letting it swallow over & over. It gums up the dogs intestinal tract & can lead to serious health problems.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Okay mind the mess of the play room, but this is our basement.. here is a quick made toy using an old pair of denim jeans that Im not gonna ever wear again. . I cut the leg off and tie a few knots in various ways.. IF there are NO rivets or metal the waste strip is a good tug too, just remove the button and you have a doubled or quadroupled and bound peice of denim. GOod for a while til you get to the feed store or what ever.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Other then the recommended crate as everyone else has already noted. I found that the extreme kong filled with peanut butter, yogurt or cream cheese and frozen keeps mine very satisfied. Also I found that a boat rope something you can purchase at a tractor supply store with knots placed in it randomly works well also. Lastly the other toy Beastley found to be enjoyable (a little too much) is the almost indestructable ball (purchased online for $12 at Petsmart.com) and the egge. These last two items are also great in the yard to wear him out once you come home. He entertains himself while I take a few minutes to get things in order at home. He enjoys these so much I have to throw a box over the top of it to get him to focus and stop playing.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might want to think a bout NOT leaving your dog alone with rope toys if he is tearing them up so badly. Especially the synthetic kind cotton wouldn't be as bad but still i would think twice The rope pieces CAN be ingested and cause a blockage. Not a good thing.

Lucy loves those pig ears you can get at petsmart. She will chew on them for ever. Another thing to thing about is food dispensing toys. They have to work for their food and the mental exhaustion is a good thing when trying to tire out a dog. i sometimes feed Lucy her meals this way. They need the mental stimulation as well as the physical stimulation.

Good luck, Maya wold eat the baseboards she even ate through 2 different doors to get out so hopefully that won't happen.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
in all cases, dont leave your pet alone with toys.. I think kong even states that on their product packaging, there is not a kong product that didn't give when I left it with the dog unattended.. If your dog has a favorite toy he/she generally will salvage it play with it as gently as possible, but still chew chew chew chew so eh.. I must have misunderstood, I thought she needed a toy quick.. the quickest dog toy is free ;)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
You have to be careful leaving your dog with bones too. I had some large leg bones and my sisters dog got her bottom jaw caught it the hole after the marrow was cleaned out. We ended up going to the vet to have it removed.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
please excuse his lack of listening, this was last year before we worked on it, he is spot on now.

This ball rocks!

Still around today. They also have a giant one that he drools over so so much I only use it outside. This is the only toy I feel good about leaving with him alone. Please don't leave rope alone with your pup. My friends dog died from ingesting the rope and it being caught around some intestine, not nice!!

www.unbreakoball.com

·
Registered
123 Posts
go nuts dont remember the spelling though makes a tough toy and they will send you a new one if your dog can tear it up, for free

·
Registered
123 Posts
^^^ yep thats it, and it holds up a lot better than those giant black kongs. My dog has been chewing away non stop for about a month now and no problems at all, the only down side is they are a little more expensive but when your dog gets down to the red section you take it away and send it back and they mail you a new one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts