Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got this very beautiful red nose American pit mix from a friend of mine. I was just trying to figure out if he is inbred it not. His mom and dad are brother and sister but from two different litters....

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Yes your dog is as BC explained.

Oh and the way I understand it (and I just woke so may have to go double check lol) Inbreeding is breeding two very closely related dogs, mother-son, father-son, brother and sister. Linebreeding is breeding two dogs that share relatives not direct descendants. Which is still inbred but different terminology.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay another question why does he get food happy?? Like he'll smell food or c food and go almost crazy trying to get it we've tried to train him to go lay down and not feed him anything but his puppy food but he still gets excited he's trampled over my 4 yr old daughter just to get to the food she had in her hands.... Idk why and idk how to make him stop.... Any pointers???

·
Registered
49 Posts
When in the litter, if food isn't readily available on a constant basis, or if a pup keeps getting pushed out by it's littermates, it can create a behavior like you describe...BUT, it is more likely it's a learned behavior that you have accidently taught him. You only need to give an animal a food 'sample' once or twice and BAM, you've instantly taught him that what you have is really good, without teaching him 'how' to act to get it.
Dogs just instinctively and excitedly go after food and don't think about who's in the way, they just follow their noses.
This is an opportunity to start to teach him to listen to you. Lots of patience is needed and start small...for example
Call his name(to get his attention)then immediately say 'come' ...when he does, give him one kibble of his puppy food and tell him he's a good boy...
Watch his reaction and you'll see him follow you around wondering what just happened...give him a pet and tell him he's good, but no kibble this time.
Do this once or twice a day until he comes every time...then one day try 'fetch' and throw a toy, when he goes and gets it..call his name and say 'come'...and 1 kibble when he does it....so a little at a time...'stay' is the good one, even if it's just a second at first
These little things teach him to listen to you...discipline is the key
Good luck with it..message me if you need more help

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes he is inbred but not to the first degree.

Okay another question why does he get food happy?? Like he'll smell food or c food and go almost crazy trying to get it we've tried to train him to go lay down and not feed him anything but his puppy food but he still gets excited he's trampled over my 4 yr old daughter just to get to the food she had in her hands.... Idk why and idk how to make him stop.... Any pointers???
You should be more authoritative and consistent when dealing with him. Just guessing you might be ordering him to stop now but later you are laughign and cuddling him for that behaviour. Again just be consistent and authoritative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts