·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wounded puppy rescued after abuse

Dec 18, 2006 02:24 PM EST

Wounded puppy rescued

Alex Sanz/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - Pit-bulls often make headlines for attacking a person but this time, it's the other way around. A 6-month-old pit-bull pup is a victim of human violence.

"I went to look at it and once I looked at it, I couldn't, I just couldn't leave it there," said Matt Young.

Young and his friend found the dog early Thursday. It was lying in a pool of blood behind the clubhouse at Westminster Apartments in Greenwood.

The two rushed the puppy to a nearby veterinary clinic. The veterinarian treated six stab wounds, with the deepest, a 3-inch gash near its throat.

"It looks like to me like these were inflicted with some sort of sharp objects like a knife. It's very unfortunate to have to say something like that, but I don't believe this dog was maimed by another dog," said the vet, Dr. Amanda Spencer.

Dr. Spencer says someone did stab the dog, but why? No one's sure. A local pit-bull advocate says more people are abusing pit-bulls nationwide because of their "tough" image.

"Unfortunately, it is a trend in our society. These dogs are being perceived as not even dogs anymore." says Stacey Coleman. "What disturbs me a lot of this story is that several people saw this dog injured and bleeding but were unwilling to help because it was a pit bull."

Coleman says pit-bulls are loyal, loving dogs when people don't mistreat them and teach them to be violent.

Indy Pit Crew plans to watch over the puppy they've named "Lilly" until she recovers, then they'll help put her up for adoption.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5825080&nav=9Tai

1 - 1 of 1 Posts