Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinions on what you guys think about a indoor dog park.I was recently hurt on my job and receiving a settlement and thinking of starting my own business.I have nerve damage to my left arm so I will not be returning to union carpentry .and I would love to get paid wile hanging out with my dog.I live in chilly and it gets to cold to play with the pup outside. It would be like a doggy gym and you would need a membership. I don't know just something Iam throwing around in my head.

·
Registered
395 Posts
majority of people on here do not approve of dog parks. i don't think anyone should start something like this if they don't have a lifetime of experience handling all types of dogs or don't have experienced staff as well. but if you decide to continue with it, just make sure you require UTD health records of all doggie members. aside from dog fights, dogs that attend dog parks also run the risk of getting sick. people (i think kids are more at risk) might even be able to pick up some worms if they're in contact with the poop/poop areas.

oh, and you better get some good insurance. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
i should also probably add that most dog park/doggie daycare-type businesses don't even allow bully breeds due to the insurance restrictions. you'll always have people out there willing to take their dogs but this isn't really something i'd recommend dabbling with as a first time business owner. too many liabilities and it would just take one mistake on your businesses part (you're responsible for your staff) that could cost you everything. JMO

if you open up another business you can always take your dog to the office. then you only have one dog to look after and be responsible for.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was thinking big cages kinda like batting cages where it would just be owner and dog.and the dogs would not be together.but just a thought .

·
Registered
395 Posts
like giant kennels? that could work on avoiding the fights so long as the kennels aren't sharing a fence. you'd also have to make sure the owners are controlling their dogs in the common area before they reach the separate kennels. the insurance would be required in case a fight broke out there. you'd still need to keep track of vaccinations and such. and then you'd need to see if there's even a market for that kind of thing. would people really want to pay dues to play 1 on 1 with their dog? couldn't they do that at home? if you lived in a big city without many parks or off-leash areas and a majority of people live in condos/apartments then that might work.

^^ in a snowy area like yours it might be a possibility too...but what about in spring and summer?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah your right a lot of work but not impossible.and I live in philly and I don't go to dog parks either .I play with my dog in a playground with a stick ball court I just close the gates plus my dog won't let the vet cut her nails so she wears them down in the stick ball court .but to cold out there in the winter

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I could see something happening. It could be set up like racketball courts. Big enough so you could work your dog but in your own space. I think if you had on hand trainers that would e a plus too.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I don't like normal dog parks, but something like you are talking about sounds like a good idea. The spaces would need to be big enough to be worth it though. Lot of stuff to look into, but good luck with it if you pursue it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There was another thread similar to this a while ago... I cant for the life of me remember the title though maybe someone else will... There were some good ideas in it...

Membership is a good idea because then you can control how many people and dogs are inside at any point in time... Like a gym they have to check in and out... Breaksticks posted all over is a good idea... Separated areas is a good idea... I would look into insurances for this not many will cover this but some will however they will be expensive... Also maybe a vet or too and a trainer or too on hand at all times... So you could offer a "gold or plantinum" membership that includes sessions with a professional trainer...

You could offer agility tracks and things like that too...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be open to all breeds but I would cater to bullys.spring poles ,flirt poles and some weight pulling .there would definitely be strict rules enforced .would definitely have a vet on site maybe a grooming area .merchandise promoting our breed.would need a partner for finances in the beginning but if this place came out the way its in my head it would pay for itself.plus I was a carpenter for 10 years and have a lot of cool ideas for the building .who knows far stretched but not impossible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ive had this idea in my mind for the last 3 years. Here it is. I live between 2 major cities ,100 miles apart. Population of one 11 million, the other is 2 million. Ive got a 5.6 acre lot ,a mile or 2 off the expressway. I want to build a "working "dog park. 2 obstacle courses ,one easy and one very difficult, built out of railroad ties, telephone poles,truck and tractor tires. Id use many different surfaces and combinations, and multiple levels .Each course would measure 75 feet x 75 feet. Within the outdoor complex would be a area for an AKC "Earthdog" underground course, built to AKC specs. basically an underground tunnel 9x9 with false dens and left angle and right angle multiple turns.
Id also set up 3 track weight pulling section. id carry a few harnesses, just for people to get their feet wet. But obviously the serious pullers can bring their own personal gear.
Next would be an area for 4- 6 springpoles all with mulch base of 8-10 inches.
Next would be a open field for Sch training, with all A-frames, blinds, and jumps and even a car would be provided.
There would be 2 "horse trough" swimming pools, were the dog would be harnessed in and lowered to neck level to allow for "in place" swimming,the dog would NEVER have a chance to drop below water level,EVER.
Im even considering a Lure Coursing area around the perimeter of the back 2 acres . And finally a shower area for the dogs ( basically a hose off area).
We would have a on call vet and a list of area vets and 24 emergency centers.
We would have trainers available , but basically this is a "bring your own" type of place . I would make the facility available to all working organizations and police forces, plus the casual pet owner who just wants to "work" their dog. My hands on would be very little. 2 warnings for dog on dog aggression and then your not welcome back. Could you please leave me feedback cause im really passionate about dogs, and id like to know if this idea is only good in MY head. Please play devils advocate if you have to, I want to able to cover all the bases.

sounds familiar...good luck :) I think i posted this about a month ago. If you build it, they will come, ( or something like that)..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool sounds like plan . And I know the best pizza places around I live on the same street as taconellis pizza in port Richmond.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you ever been to Gia's, ? i cant think of the street but its right near downtown. KILLER thin crust, and its brick oven... plus i think its dog friendly ( had to say something about dogs) lol . Maybe we'll PM each other and throw some ideas around. Wait..i meant Soho's,not Gia's,and i remember ,its on Market St.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts